Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bulbs are on the way

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
surprised i got no responses here but I went ahead and did this while i was off from work during the holiday and i've got the lights adjusted pretty well now i think. i can probably stand to aim them up just a tad more, and the fact that i can see where that beam ends on the road is excellent. output is freakin awesome. one of the best mods i've done to the car hands down. pulling up to bmw's and lexus' and having better looking lights feels pretty good...and on top of the that, all the signs light up blue due to the color flicker
young john connor: can you even see anything??!
terminator: I see everything

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
advice to ppl who are thinking about trying this...go for it. but be sure to give yourself LOTS of time. it took me 3 days total, with probably about 4 hours in the evening the first day, 4 hours the next day, and a few hours the 3rd day to wrap up, aim, test, put the bumper back on etc.
other than that, it was pretty straight forward

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were those the STi projectors that you used?
yessir.
sti projectors bolt right in with no issue.

fun fact...sti hid projectors and regular wrx halogen projectors use the same lens. the only thing that is different i saw was the projector bowl

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
make sure you post an before and after shot of your HID's

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well the parts i used were:

2009 sti projectors (off of ebay)
2009 sti matsushita ballasts with igniters (off ebay)
tsx clear lenses from the retrofit source
phillips D2S 81522 bulbs
connector harnesses x2 (the short wire connections in the picture) that connect from the ballast to your low beam wiring
and lastly, I used a battery relay harness, which I've actually been told by members of HIDPlanet is not really necessary bc our cars take to retrofits very well.

So the relay harness I will be removing bc it makes for a much cleaner install instead of having wires strung all over the place. I'll remove that once I get replacement bolts for the bumper...most of the plastic bolts i guess were so old and fragile, they ended up breaking and I'd rather replace them all with new

unfortunately, I never took before pictures of the halogens so if someone can post up a stock shot of the halogen beam, and I will surely go ahead and get a shot of my HID beam tonight

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Now what bulbs do u use? Or can use? With the sti retro fit. Do u also get there ability to adjust the level? Is it really worth it?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and yes its really worth it...it is honestly the best mod I have done to the car

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
here are pics....the cutoff line is a lot sharper than the pictures show (camera phone) what you also cant see is the blue tinge right at the cutoff. it causes the blue flicker and a lot of sign light up blue as a result as well...freakin awesome

Reactions: Hoonigan808

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Where u find the projectors. I can't find any lol

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Plus how much did u . spend

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is the guy I bought them from, the ballasts too. he didnt have them listed on ebay so he sold them to me on the side. 2006 2012 06 12 Subaru WRX STI Headlight Projector | eBay

total cost:
projectors 100
ballasts 100
bulbs 73
lenses 30 (black friday special)
butyl headlight sealant 15 (i have some left over if you want it...I only used about 1/3 of the roll)
low beam signal connectors 15
battery relay harness 25 (not really necessary)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
So 300 vs 450 ish with the d2s kit. It's a hard choice lol. Ones pretty much a perfect match. And others a little bit of Work lol. But i keep hearing the sti way is better light out put. Man its hard to decide

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So 300 vs 450 ish with the d2s kit. It's a hard choice lol. Ones pretty much a perfect match. And others a little bit of Work lol. But i keep hearing the sti way is better light out put. Man its hard to decide
Which d2s kit are you referring to? The retrofit source kit?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes that kit

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes that kit
Well the actual work involved is the same as far as splitting open your headlights and swapping everything out. That retrofit source kit just gives you everything you need in one package. My main reason for not getting it was bc I'm a cheapo lol and I wanted to find everything myself for less than the cost of the kit. And I'm not sure about the kit's output but like you said, I think I remember people who got it said it wasn't the greatest.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Well the actual work involved is the same as far as splitting open your headlights and swapping everything out. That retrofit source kit just gives you everything you need in one package. My main reason for not getting it was bc I'm a cheapo lol and I wanted to find everything myself for less than the cost of the kit. And I'm not sure about the kit's output but like you said, I think I remember people who got it said it wasn't the greatest.

Yeah its a toss up. I am going to see if maybe they can get a set of Sti projectors. and buy it that way. total cost is very close. I want to use the best bulbs. lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts