Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are clearly several methods by which to modify a WRX. Further its clear that there is a lot of untapped power in these cars.

Coming from a NA background, I'm unfamiliar with modifying turbo setups (although I know the mechanicals well); so my question to the more experienced folks is what is the best place for a beginer to begin modifying his/her ride?

Obviously this depends on the specific goals and situation, so for the sake of simplicity lets assume the individual is interested in achieving in the are of 275HP/300 ft-lbs. From my other reading I believe the stock fuel system and BOV are usually suffiecnt for this kind of power. What modifications should be done first and why?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Let it breathe with a turbo back exhaust and cold air intake.
the stock BOV has a boost leak. You should upgrade that.
Boost Controller, Cobb AP, and Water/Meth injection.

the fuel system should be fine. Perrin is making 380hp on the stock fuel pump with high flow fuel rails and modded injectors.

i am trying for 300hp with this setup. i just have to wait till after christmas to get the Cobb AP and downpipe.

·
Registered
421 Posts
IN a turbocharged car, there's 2 routes you can take to put more horses into the car.

The 1st route, is the NA route, which to be honest, isn't the best ROI way of doing it. It involves cams and all the good stuff, just like a NA honda engine would be tuned.

However, for a turbo charged car, its really easy to push more horses into the car.

For your wish of 285HP, in my opinion, its really really easy.

All you need to do to your car is to allow the turbo to breath and exhale easier! Simple. With more air travelling into your turbo, the blades are able to spin faster and with more power. With no resistance to its exhalation, its able to push a larger volume of O2 through to your engine.

Using the above principle, you need to do the following.

1st Change the air intake, though its debatable, since Cobb already mentioned in an earlier post that the stock intake is able to support 300+ HP.

2nd, change the turbo uppipe. Generally we're looking at 3 inches pipes from the turbo uppipe to the exhaust and the muffler. With a larger leading to the turbo, the turbo is able to spin with more power.

3rdly, you have to change the downpipes and the exhaust with the muffler. For best result, you need to get those without CATs. With less resistance, your turbo is able to push more air to the engine. In fact, simply knocking through your stock cats (we have 2 cats on the car, along the exhaust), immediately you'll see a much better response to your car. With a boost gauge, you're able to see that your turbo kicks in earlier and with higher boost.

4th, you might have to change the BOV, since a larger boost means your stock BOV can't hold the pressure anymore.

With the above mods, you're probably looking at 225hp + 40hp....

Lastly, you have the option to tune your car, to push for another 30hp. with that, you're already looking at 295hp on your car, with a relatively healthy bank account.

Its unlike a NA setup, where you're probably looking at a +30hp after emptying your bank account.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Thanks Pehon,OGB,and Jeffro for breaking down all the Q's i've been thinking of. It's awesome knowing everybody on this form supports each other even on some of the dumbest Q's. :) Can't wait to make a sick little sleeper!! ;D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good stuff guys, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I have a technical background and am sure I will pick this stuff up fairly quickly once I take the time to get into it. In a couple of months, once t warms up, I plan to really get into this and will be sure to document my progress for everyone from a newbie's perspective.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good stuff guys, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I have a technical background and am sure I will pick this stuff up fairly quickly once I take the time to get into it. In a couple of months, once t warms up, I plan to really get into this and will be sure to document my progress for everyone from a newbie's perspective.
Looking forward to hearing about your progress!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Can't wait to make a sick little sleeper!! ;D
Sleeper FTW!

cool, just remember... pics or ban.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts