Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"horse shoe" Tire Pressure Monitoring System popping up all the time?

my stupid TPMS light kept coming on when I KNEW the pressures in my tires were fine...

turns out it was the spare tire! it was at 40psi instead of 60psi even though I had never used it.

just figured I'd post this helpful info for anyone who can't figure it out.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: "horse shoe" Tire Pressure Monitoring System popping up all the time?

I think you can pull the fuse for it...? but I'm not sure if that leaves the indicator light on or off...

it doesn't affect any other system, it's just to let you know things may be leaking or whatever.

it was a pain in the ass for me because I KNEW the pressures were right, yet it would light up occasionally... once I filled the spare back up to 60 or 65 (can't remember which one it says to use) the TPMS light stayed off and hasn't come back on since.

it's good to have though in case you have a slow leak from a nail or something. I wouldn't disable it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

In my commute I have a series of high speed HARD right hand turns ;D I thought that I had an issue with the left front tire... The TPS light kept coming on. I checked it and did not see anything obvious. I then had my car up on a lift and thought that I would check it again. sure enough, I had picked up a nail, it was hidding from me ;) and had a slow leak. Since the tire was fixed I have had no issue.
I think the TPS is good.
my .02

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yeah it's helped me TWICE to find slow leaks caused by nails/screws. I would recommend against turning it off.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

just because you've never run over a nail and caused a slow leak doesn't mean it won't happen

the light only comes on if there's a problem... there is no reason to remove it

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

just because you've never run over a nail and caused a slow leak doesn't mean it won't happen

the light only comes on if there's a problem... there is no reason to remove it

·
Registered
700 Posts

my light pops up on really hot days if i'm not moving the car just idling.

·
Registered
29 Posts

yeah, I have a problem with a tire, (rear driver side), but I'm prolonging getting it fixed. The light has come on about 4 times the last 2500 miles, and the tire has been about 6 pounds or so low every time. Don't disable it, if it acts up, get it checked out!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

I've run over nails, and I've had slow leaks before. Nails happen, slow leaks happen, as long as you check your tire pressure regularly, which I do (weekly), there should be no reason why you wouldn't be able to immediately pick out the tire with the leak. Besides, it's pretty easy to feel when something isn't quite right pressure-wise anyway. Plus, it's not like the TPMS system says "here's WHY your tire pressure is low".

It takes less than a minute to check your tire pressure, which hardly an inconvenience imo. How long does it take you to make a special trip somewhere so they can reprogram your tpms sensors, wait while they take their sweet time doing it, and then making the return trip or whatever. So realistically expect at least 15 minutes of time dedicated to messing with the TPMS sensors twice a year (but probably more in most cases). So I spend, at most, what, an extra 20 minutes A YEAR checking my tire pressure. I can spare 20 minutes for something that I would do anyway even with TPMS enabled. To me it would be worth it to do that and not have to stare at that stupid little light twice a year and have to go somewhere to have tpms programmed so it goes away.

If it is the case that I can have two sets of TPMS sensors programmed in then it might be more of a benefit than it is a hassle/annoyance, but I am under the impression that that is not the case. If it is the case that you can have multiple sets of sensors programmed to your car then please inform me.
Once a week that is really good, imo there is still one more important aspect. Picking something up on the road, IE during a commute and having a not just a slow leak but a more agressive leak, leading to a possible catastrophic tire failure at speed. Something that a TPMS system could give you some advanced warning. I have found that the sensor light will go away when the pressures are set correctly. So a little annoyance while your on the road may give you just enough time to reduce speed and check it out.

All in all if the tire is going to blow, it will, there is nothing that you can do about that. If there is a chance that you could reduce speed, maybe not take your car out, or the car next to you, I think it might be worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts