Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how some of you guys like to launch your car of the line. I used to own a 350z and mostly rear wheel drive cars in the past so it still weird to me when launching my wrx. I usually keep the revs at 4k - 4.5k and slowly let out the clutch. Iv been practicing and I just love how quick this car is of the line.

·
Registered
752 Posts
doing that should get you about 1.8-1.9 60ft times.

that's what i was doing, but the stock clutch didnt like all the torque the motor was making. ACT street disk now :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
"I usually keep the revs at 4k - 4.5k and slowly let out the clutch" with the VDC off of course, thats how I'm doing it ;D

·
Registered
700 Posts
5k with vdc off and wait for it to grab and fast but steady let off the clutch. you know you did it right when it literally takes your breath away. so much fun. ;D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok, I've never launched before since this is my 1st manual car so let me see if I understand what you guys are doing.

Your car is in a stop position with the shifter in neutral and you rev the engine to 4k or more. When you want to go you shift into gear (1st, 2nd or 3rd does it matter?) and punch the gas. Is this right?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
keep the 1st gear in if you want a quick launch dont try in 2nd or 3rd it will launch but in a more disastrous way then rev up and let go of the clutch ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
its a dedicated balance btw the clutch and throttle.

You don't want to spin the tyres, but you would want to hear the tyres at its traction limit.

You should see the RPM stay at 4k (haven't found the RPM myself, but from reading the forum, it seems 4k is about right!) while you're releasing the clutch and increasing the throttle at the same time, until the clutch is fully released.

I don't like doing that cos i feel like i'm killing the clutch :'(

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
its a dedicated balance btw the clutch and throttle.

You don't want to spin the tyres, but you would want to hear the tyres at its traction limit.

You should see the RPM stay at 4k (haven't found the RPM myself, but from reading the forum, it seems 4k is about right!) while you're releasing the clutch and increasing the throttle at the same time, until the clutch is fully released.

I don't like doing that cos i feel like i'm killing the clutch :'(
I agree with you man every times I launch I have a bad feeling and I see the clutch burning in my head ::)

·
Registered
700 Posts
my friends tell me when i do a launch it looks like my car is gonna do a wheel stand lol. gotta love that soft stock suspension but ya no more luanchs for me. i hate smelling my clutch burn plus scared to ruin 1st gear

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Fss and pehon. I have another question. Lets say I'm in 1st gear and I punch the gas, how long should I leave it in 1st before I change gears if I want to go as fast as possible? The manual says the car can be driven in 1st up to 35 mph. Should I take it to 35 or change gears much earlier?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
NEVER DUMP YOUR CLUTCH in an AWD. Im sure most or all of you know this but our cars are difrent from RWD and FWD cars. You can dump your clutch all you want in Honduh but in our cars thats the best way to destroy your clutch, tranny, diffs, and everthing ells in your driveline.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
NEVER DUMP YOUR CLUTCH in an AWD. Im sure most or all of you know this but our cars are difrent from RWD and FWD cars. You can dump your clutch all you want in Honduh but in our cars thats the best way to destroy your clutch, tranny, diffs, and everthing ells in your driveline.
that's a fact, plus on my N/A I had best results shifting around 5 or 5.5 rpm

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
you need to find when your at your peek power band rpm and let out steady.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks Fss and pehon. I have another question. Lets say I'm in 1st gear and I punch the gas, how long should I leave it in 1st before I change gears if I want to go as fast as possible? The manual says the car can be driven in 1st up to 35 mph. Should I take it to 35 or change gears much earlier?
to go as fast as possible just shift right before fuel cut off this way when you get into the next gear you're at a good point in the power band. IMO i wouldn't really go by the speedometer but rather go by the tach. it gives you a better idea as to when you're reaching fuel cut

·
Registered
39 Posts
I dont think u want to go to fuel cut off cause your car stops boosting before that @ around 5,500-6,000 rpm. i usually shift in between there and all is good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I race with my buddy MS3 yesterday but I was so retarded and forget to turn off VDC. Now he think that he got faster car. I need to rerace him tonight

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah, pretty much what everyone else is saying. slip the clutch and keep the revs up. i usually try to keep the rpms at 3500 by balancing the clutch and throttle (to keep the boost and torque up). definitely a bit harder than other 2wd cars i've launched ;) definitely takes some work, as i've burnt the clutch a couple of times, haha.

·
Registered
100 Posts
im not going to say im the best at it or its the best way to launch your car but it works for me now what i do is at the track is rev it up 4500rpms or so but i try to launch at 5000-5300rpm now at the track when the the yellow lights start to drop thats when i rise my revs up to 5ish and launching sliping the clutch out for 5-10ft i mean quickly sliping the clutch by 10ft your foot should be off the clutch or you be smoking the clutch and this is my first awd car and ive been at the track five times now and i have to say my last time at was this last friday and finally got down 7 pass out of 8 were 1.8s 60fts on my first pass i left t/c on so other thing is to turn off the t/c or you be 2.1 60fts hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I race with my buddy MS3 yesterday but I was so retarded and forget to turn off VDC. Now he think that he got faster car. I need to rerace him tonight
The MS3 is considerably faster, actually. Shouldn't be much of a surprise considering similar weight, less parasitic drag from the drivetrain, ~40 more hp, and ~60 more ft lbs of torque. That's a pretty significant advantage.

With that said, my only mod is Perrin Stage 1 and raced him yesterday at the 1/8 mile strip. Needless to say, driver skill is very crucial. My personal best of the day was 9.2xx, his was 9.3xx. He never had a chance at launch, but once the cars got going the MS3 plays a serious game of hunt down.

Out if curiousity, we did a couple 'autobahn' pulls from 60 on the way home. Interestingly enough, I held up to about 80... Then he put about 2 cars on me by 110!!!

I'll post 1/8 mile vids in a separate thread later.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
5k rpm VDC off, DCCD manual full rear

1 - 20 of 31 Posts