Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it quiet when engaging and disengaging or does it make any squeaky/noise when disengaging and engaging? Also, does it feel smooth when engaging and disengaging or does it have a gritty feel to it?

Just trying to get a general sense of what other people's clutch are like so as to compare to my experience with my 08. It's only the second manual I've owned, (drove a manny tran jeep for two years) and just trying to gauge if what I'm experiencing with the clutch is the norm, or if I should be concerned and really get Subaru to look in on it again. Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
do you mean in the clutch pedal or the clutch itself?

mine seems really direct and yet somewhat smooth. doesn't slip at all but it doesn't engage too harshly.

as for my pedal, I think it might have squeaked in the winter. it's kind of stiff.

keep in mind the pedal can be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
mine squeaks a little when the oil temp is low. Goes away after about 1/2 to normal operating temp. The clutch is not very grabby at all so it's fairly easy to drive smoothly IMO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The pedal can be adjusted?? Sorry for being a noob, but would you mind telling me how? I have to sit fairly far up because I can't reach the clutch :/

·
Registered
472 Posts
when you push the clutch in it makes an annoying squeaky noise? mine does that. my petel gets hard as hell and jumps back out at me and then sometimes its soft as hell. then it feels like its hesitating the last half inch when your letting the petel out? solution for me was new clutch petal assembly and its warrentied. i have an 08 wrx clutch is slipping so that might cause some of it.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
My clutch shudders sometimes after launching hard, other than that it just has the normal low temp/wet weather noises. I use my clutch a lot when I launch, I'd rather put wear on it rather than the rest of my drivetrain.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine just started making a squeak but only on cold damp mornings and only for about 5 minutes of driving. I've had the car since last june and it has about 7.5k miles. Also on engagement feels slightly gritty but nothing too bad. But with the stories about this clutch it sometimes worries me, especially since I treat it rather well

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine makes a clicking noise at the top of engagement and disengagement. It is really annoying and i am taking it to the dealer on Tuesday so they can look at it for the 3rd time, this time i will not take it back until it is fixed. I know someone that also had this and they ended up replacing the master cylinder and the clutch pedal assembly. They also actually replaced the whole clutch, i didn't really get that. Maybe this incorrect engagement could be causing higher than usual wear to the clutch(doesnt sound likely). I really hope they do something about it this time, it is really unnerving when shifting and you hear and feel a click on every shift.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My clutch pedal kinda creaks and pops softly (I think it is the return spring). I only notice it when the stereo is off or my foot is on the brake pedal (vibrates throughout the assembly) when I press the clutch in. But since I listen to a lot of Car Talk, I just turn the stereo up. I will mention it at my next oil change though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
fenton- mine makes the same clicking noise as u described, i can also feel it click with my foot, im gonna wait till it gets worse till i take it in... what did the dealer say about it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Last time they just tried to lube it up to see if it would fix it, mine probably started at about 10,000km. It has stopped a couple times but it comes back and actually hasnt went away for a while.

Both of the people that i know that own a 2009 wrx said they started noticing it at about 10,000km to 20,000km.

I will let you know how the dealership visit goes on Tuesday.

·
Registered
123 Posts
When cold, mine has a very audible whine when fully engaged and when engaging a gear. The whine goes away once its fully out or warmed up. I know its not normal but my dealer wants to keep the car overnight to reproduce the problem and i just don't have the time being that my dealer is 1 hour away. I told him to make a note about it and I'll give it to him if it gets worse or fails... my service adviser is a tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts