Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 WRX front 21mm, rear 16mm

it's also important to note that front sway bars between the STi and WRX are NOT interchangeable, however the rear sway bars ARE

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

it's also important to note that front sway bars between the STi and WRX are NOT interchangeable, however the rear sway bars ARE
Yay more massive understeer. Guess they decided to opt for turn-in response as opposed to more neutral steer. The sways used to be matched by F/R weight bias, but now its off by quite a bit.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yay more massive understeer. Guess they decided to opt for turn-in response as opposed to more neutral steer. The sways used to be matched by F/R weight bias, but now its off by quite a bit.
ah but you can't compare the rear sway bars from the previous gens to the gen3 as they were longer- a shorter bar will have more torsional rigidity than a equal diameter longer bar- I'll try and take some measurements soon to compare the two

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

ah but you can't compare the rear sway bars from the previous gens to the gen3 as they were longer- a shorter bar will have more torsional rigidity than a equal diameter longer bar- I'll try and take some measurements soon to compare the two
I had done the calculations and they were balanced according to weight bias initially for the 08 :)
Hence the reference that the 09 makes this balance off. I was not referring to the 2nd gen in any way.

Sorry for the confusion

I was just thinking that they would alleviate the understeer by increasing rear rigidity but leaving the front alone. Since they have already increased total effective rates through the springs also by a considerable amount. Along with dampers, I think the effective rates jumped by 40%?. I dont know if the rear spring was also compensated accordingly or if they increased the rear rates slightly more than the front.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Only by driving it will we really be able to tell if it was a good move or a bad one heh? :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I had done the calculations and they were balanced according to weight bias initially for the 08 :)
Hence the reference that the 09 makes this balance off. I was not referring to the 2nd gen in any way.

Sorry for the confusion

I was just thinking that they would alleviate the understeer by increasing rear rigidity but leaving the front alone. Since they have already increased total effective rates through the springs also by a considerable amount. Along with dampers, I think the effective rates jumped by 40%?. I dont know if the rear spring was also compensated accordingly or if they increased the rear rates slightly more than the front.
got ya now :)

I think I'd still argue that I would much rather have them increase both the front and rear bar- than just the rear bar. Obviously they have a lot a more things that go into their decision than providing a very neutral handling car :) I remember with the release of the 02 how many unknowing folks found (at the very most inopportune times) what throttle lift oversteer was. FHI quickly reduced the rear sway bar from 20 to 17mm- and it stayed that way from 03-07.

·
Registered
198 Posts
most cars stock tune the suspension to understeer rather than "neutral," because understeer is a safer condition for your average driver who isn't concerned with performance driving/motorsports. Understeer is annoying but safe, whereas oversteer or neutral bias results in more snap-oversteer conditions during emergency maneuvers with inexperienced drivers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
most cars stock tune the suspension to understeer rather than "neutral," because understeer is a safer condition for your average driver who isn't concerned with performance driving/motorsports. Understeer is annoying but safe, whereas oversteer or neutral bias results in more snap-oversteer conditions during emergency maneuvers with inexperienced drivers.
even race cars are set to understeer. they're near neutral but slightly balanced for understeer (and much, much closer to neutral than a street car). the cars are much more stable and controllable when balanced toward understeer, it also allows them to put some power to the unused traction on the rear wheels. you also tend to move toward oversteer at higher speeds, so most road race cars are typically about neutral when going fast enough.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you guys suggest a nice setup for sways for street and some auto x??
I think a WL adj 22mm front w/ a adj 20mm rear would fit the needs for street and some autox pretty nicely :) if you want it lean a little further towards autox, get their next bigger front bar 24mm adj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts