Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the DRL disable box on the 2008's. Unplugged it and viola! no more DRL!

Here's my crappy write up (***images now rehosted and are 56k friendly now***):
you see the stock airbox in its glory here.

remove the stock airbox (10 mm socket needed for box, 8mm for hose clamps, philips screwdriver for removing the plastic clips on the "Ram air" duct)

here's looking down in the gap that used to be airbox location

close up of the module itself

unplug this and you're done!

reattach stock airbox or whatever intake you have...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Re: DRL disable on 2008 WRX

Pix didn't upload.. Will disconnecting the DRL effect the HB ( highs )?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks coop. Links are fixed.

Lights function normally, all indicators work. High beam works. My HIDS work. Fog lights work normally and I now can run with parking lights only.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Anyone know how to run with fogs only?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

haven't tried it myself, but to run with fogs only you'd have to move the wiring from the low beam circuit to say the parking light circuit so you can run with them with parking lights only.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hey Scoob, thanks for the info, I hated those silly drl. When I first did it, my check engine, handeling control, and cruise light were all blinking, but I think because I removed the drl relay, whoops, but they are all off now, so thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

Awesome. Heavy duty wiring harness and new bulbs incoming!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have fixed my links in my post. The website I had went down. So I moved to a new host.

ENJOY.

BTW - I am running a Lightwerkz.net h11 harness with Apexcone 35w slim case HID (5000k). Loving them, but you'd all get more light from running a H9 setup in your H11 reflectors, as for me I like the bling and couldn't turn down 150 buck HID kit. lol

·
Registered
6 Posts

I installed aftermarket fog lights today and the DRL Box is easyer to get to than removing the airbox. On the pass side, in front of the wheel, under the bumper, there are two exterior clips and the black bottom protecter comes down. The DRL box it right there, just reach up and unplug in seconds, no bolts or screws.

·
Registered
328 Posts

I installed aftermarket fog lights today and the DRL Box is easyer to get to than removing the airbox. On the pass side, in front of the wheel, under the bumper, there are two exterior clips and the black bottom protecter comes down. The DRL box it right there, just reach up and unplug in seconds, no bolts or screws.
I took of the clips, but still couldn't reach in all the way to disconnect the plug. I reached in and almost had it but it was kind of stuck. I guess I need more room for my arm to unplug it. I might have taken off the wrong clips?? Any Ideas??? I really want to unplug the DRL especially after the repair man plugged them back in even though i told him specifically not to. lol

·
Registered
216 Posts

hmm i did it that way too, unclipped the two clips slid the plastic piece over, reached up and just unplugged it. for me there was enough room, don't worry about bending the plastic cause it goes right back into place. at least for me it did ::)

·
Registered
253 Posts

Hey Scoob, thanks for the info, I hated those silly drl. When I first did it, my check engine, handeling control, and cruise light were all blinking, but I think because I removed the drl relay, whoops, but they are all off now, so thanks. :)
OK, I just did this this morning by taking off the airbox. I am now having the SAME problem with my check engine light, handeling control and cruise light flashing. Anyone have this problem? Catdaddy, did the problem fix itself with time, or did you have to do something to make everything work correctly again?

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts

OK, I just did this this morning by taking off the airbox. I am now having the SAME problem with my check engine light, handeling control and cruise light flashing. Anyone have this problem? Catdaddy, did the problem fix itself with time, or did you have to do something to make everything work correctly again?

Thanks
Figured it out... Apparently my problem was with starting the car with the airbox off in an attempt to verify that the drl's were not in fact connected anymore. The lights went on and stayed on until I unplugged the battery and let it sit for a few mins.

Everythings working great now, and guess what... no more ugly DRL's!!!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts

nice write-up, but the pics don't work. upload again please?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

don't really need pics, it's easy:

remove the ram air intake thing (pop those fake screws out), remove the air box (some bolts), undo the electronic clip to the DRL thingy. put the air box back in, put the raim air thing back in. all done.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts