Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well for starters im pissed, and disappointed. After the wait of almost 2 months I recieve my cold air. What the hell? no friggin directions? what does like 15 pages of paper cost? 35 cents? for $285.00 i expect some sort of paper instructions!

On to some pics.

Heres what came in the box labeled "JSC Speed" If i knew that they were AP i would have never bought this, to many Horror stories from back in my SRT-4 days.

Now on to another WTF on there part. The fins and maf mount are off, there not strait! so my maf will be pointing off to one side alittle. Not sure it will make all that much of a diffrence but we will see once i start the install sunday.

So after remvoing my MAF and testing it, i noticed that it is not strait in the middle.

On to the install! whoo!!!!

First your going to need 10mm socket, 10mm wrench, philips screw driver, and a flat head, possibly some pliers.

On a side note after the install the car sounds like a beast. you can hear the turbo spool and the blowoff valve alot better. and nothing beats the sound of air getting sucked into the engine.

Step 1: Pop your hood, gather all the tools listed above, and disconnect your battery.

Step 2: Remove air scoop by removing the two philips head screw things, place off to the side

Step 3: Remove MAF sensor by undoing the two philips head screws, Place screws in a safe place we wont reuse these, Plac ethe MAF sensor some where near by.

Step 4: Using a Flat head screw driver loosen the 2 hose clamps from the intake and airbox. Remove the rubber peice between the airbox and the intake. P.S. dont drop your pen inthe the bumper its pretty much impossible to get out.

Step 5: Remove rear side of air box and the air filter. To get the rear off pull lightly twords you and twist clockwise. Place off to the side, we wont need this anymore.

Step 6: Remove the 2 10mm nuts that are holding the rest of the air box in, remove the rest of the air box and place off to the side, we wont need this anymore. For the bottom nut use a 10mm socket with an extension, on the top one use a 10mm wrench.

Step 7: Take the cold air metal blocker if yours came with one and place rubber on it.

Step 8: Remove nut holding the power steering fluid bottle on. This is a 10mm aswell.

Step 9: Test fit the metal shield.

Step 10: Bend shield so it fits right.

Step 11: Insert nut and bolt into there provided spots, tighten the bottom one first, its easier to get the top in after doing the bottom one.

Step 12: I noticed a spot that could become a noise/rubbing issue so i solved it ahead of time by placing some rubber tubing on it. This location is near the headlight.

Step 13: Assemble cold air and put clamps on, dont tighten yet.

Step 14: put filter on other end and tighten up.

Step 15: Install cold air into fender, this part was a PIA and took some time and finagling. Insert the provided nut that came with the cold air to hold it to the fender.

Step 16: Tighten everything up. Dont forget to reconnect your battery like i did.

Step 17: Start the car and go for a spin and hear your new high flow beast!

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aye but the sound is worth it alone. Plus ill have a AP soon i hope, just need stuff to sell for people, or maybe ill sell my xbox 360 again..... it will only be the 4th one ive sold over the years.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I like it and i dont. there's not room for intercooler piping. I like they they included the air box which is probably where the extra money is coming into play. and 285 for a CAI is a good deal. An Injen or AEM CAI will run you 290-300 easy

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
once i got front mount ill figure out a way to get the piping down there through that airbox thingy. probally going to involve some cutting, grinding, and booze.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for the write-up! I have been thinking about the short-ram myself..... Down the road that is. The AP has both form and function the perfect combo.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea you could, but i dont think it will look right, ill give it a go when i get home and take a pic. Plus if its raining you might get some rain in there.

·
Registered
214 Posts
yea you could, but i dont think it will look right, ill give it a go when i get home and take a pic. Plus if its raining you might get some rain in there.
;D Thanks man!! I certainly didn't expect you to go out of your way like that!! Your too much!! :D

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after thinking about of while at work being bored sitting in my cube ive relized 2 things. One it would increase the amount of cold air going to the filter, making the intake air even colder than astandard cold air intake. Second thing is the filter element is out in the open so if it were to rain you might end up sucking in some water.

Ill still moc it up for ya and take a pic though, im not gonig to leave it on though, in my eye the risk out wieghs the benifit.

·
Registered
345 Posts
jsc speed is a wholesale dealer they dont make parts. so whoeever you ordered the part from just had jsc ship it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
how did you have to compensate the tuning for the CAI??my car ran like shit after installation of this bitch....hesitated hard core around 5k...prolly due to knock retard....i only have an SPT exhaust????

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
nice install, and sweet How-to! anybody seen one of these for the N/A?

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
install shoul;d be along the same lines as this one, ill have to swing by the scooby dealer and have them pop the hood on a NA for me so i can take a peek for ya.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts