Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was getting tuned this past weekend, we had a huge problem with heat soak in 107* weather. We were going nowhere trying to make power so we decided to ghetto rig a sprayer from lowes.

First of all, you need a pair of these from Lowe's

You can find them in the sprinkler/irrigation section.

First of all, DRAIN all of the windshield wiper fluid by either taking out the bottle and empty it out, or run the mister until its all out (which is what I did)

Next up, you need to splice the two windshield washer sprayer hoses in the car:

Don't worry, you can easily go back to your washers with a simple Tee.

Now, on the hood scoop plastic, you will see 4 pop out screws. Pop out the far left and far right.

Connect the rear end of the sprinkler to the spliced end of the washer hose and you'll be good to go. Note: you might need to position the nozzle to where it sprays directly to the IC.

This is the IC that was the culprit of being the interheater, lol! Intake temps dropped an easy 80-100 degrees. Not too shabby

·
Registered
519 Posts
Re: $5 Intercooler sprayer!

Damn at work and can't see that pics LOL. Sounds interesting though.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Awesome J-Rig idea!! ;D Plus's for the $5 Lowes IC Sprayer!!

·
Registered
519 Posts

Now I can see it. Awesome job. Do you still have use of your wiperfluid on the windshield or is that removed?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Now I can see it. Awesome job. Do you still have use of your wiperfluid on the windshield or is that removed?
you can if you add a tee to the existing line.

·
Registered
142 Posts

what about your wipers running dry on the windshield everytime you spray the IC? i would run a relay ad momentary switch and tap into just the sprayer pump... not the easiest job for most though...

·
Registered
84 Posts
what fluid do you use in that? just water?

·
Registered
84 Posts
i just did that whole set-up today. it worked good, although the sprinkler thing i bought from blowes basically dripped the water instead of misted it. i also pulled the wiper fuse. i believe it is the fourth fuse from the very left. should say 30 on it. this keeps the wipers from going while the mist thing is going. however, i removed the whole set-up momentarily, because i'm worried that if the ice water gets on any of the engine parts, they could crack. is this a legit worry?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Very nice indeed

·
Registered
493 Posts
if you live in a cold area I recommend you disconnect this in the winter or your lines will freeze because your only suppose to use pure water for the IC spray not washer fluid.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You can also get a separate reservoir and pump and wire it up to a switch in the car and have both intercooler spray and windshield washer.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You can also get a separate reservoir and pump and wire it up to a switch in the car and have both intercooler spray and windshield washer.
I was considering doing this. JC Whitney sells that sort of stuff, including pump/reservoir combos. Check the windshield wiper section I think.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The only problem I forsee is figuring out how to route the sprayer tubing so that it follows the same path that the windshield washer tubes follow. They route up the driver side of the engine bay, almost up the pillar, but I can't seem to figure out where it goes from there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did this mod yesterday and it works pretty good and only cost 3.50 from home depot and didnt require splitting any lines. I pulled the fuse for the wipers but it disables all of the wipers functions not just the button, is there a way to by bypass this? I was thinking maybe i could open up the wiper control and hopefully there would be two wires (one going to the pump, and one going to the wipers) and i could cut the one to the wipers. Does anyone have any ideas or fixes for this??

-Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts