Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as ive posted in the "Self Introduction" ive just gotten my license last December, and really havent much experience driving a stick...

can anyone give hints on how to upshift smoothly? sometimes i can do it, but there are times when a "shock" comes, ie., maybe taking too long to release the clutch, etc.

also, tips on how to downshift smoothly?

all in all - it boils down how to instinctively "feel"/"know" those "shift points"....

thanks in advanced!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
all in all - it boils down how to instinctively "feel"/"know" those "shift points"....
...and that comes with practice and time. Noone is a smooth shifter when they start. It's hard to explain it, but you just want to make sure you give it the right "balance" of throttle and clutch, without holding the clutch too long(burning it) or just dumping it and getting that "shock". Also, different transmissions will feel differently. You might be rough driving your WRX but smooth driving your buddys' honda civic. Just keep practicing and enjoy the car!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
ul start to feal it but at 1st gear i dont let go of the clutch all the way it start to get going around like half clutch and from then at around 5mph i shift to 2nd and for downshifting if ur not racing i just releas the clutch fast when the rpm is droping around 2k rpm but thats a wrx not sti so i dont know how itl do in an sti or sometimes it takes a longer to drop the clutch on downshifts so there is no jerk just drive around thats my tip

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys... Really appreciate it...
:D

I guess practice is the only way to g...
I am just worried that if I dont get my act together soon - I may ruin the engine, ie., the transmission, clutch, etc. from too much jerking, missed shifts, over reving (not much to redline, though), etc.
:'(

Or, that Id be in big troube - rolling back too much during a hill start...

*sigh*

Sometimes I ask myself - "why did I get a manual transmission?"
Unfortunately, the only answer that comes to mind - "AT is boring."

·
Registered
327 Posts
You'll be ok on hills. The WRX comes with the hill assist feature. While nice for new manual drivers, I wish there was a way to turn it off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't wear stiff heavy shoes, use your feet to "feel" where the sensitive points are iin the clutch/accelertator balance... In other words, don't be a "lead foot". Try to get a feel for where the clutch "bites".

The problem is you're dealing with quite a bit of horsepower in that STI and every wierd thing you do is going to be much more pronounced than if you were in a Corolla.

Downshifting is just a matter of letting the clutch out at a spped relative to the speed you are braking from and to. If you're coming down quick, let it out carefullly. If it's slow braking the downshift should be almost invisible...

Be patient with the timing, (shifting), slow down the process so you get a feel for the order that things should come as well as the timing - don't try to upshift or downshift all jerky and quick. That tends to be rough, and plus it makes you look dorky. Quick shifting will come naturally when you become good at driving a stick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't wear stiff heavy shoes, use your feet to "feel" where the sensitive points are iin the clutch/accelertator balance... In other words, don't be a "lead foot". Try to get a feel for where the clutch "bites".

The problem is you're dealing with quite a bit of horsepower in that STI and every wierd thing you do is going to be much more pronounced than if you were in a Corolla.

Downshifting is just a matter of letting the clutch out at a spped relative to the speed you are braking from and to. If you're coming down quick, let it out carefullly. If it's slow braking the downshift should be almost invisible...

Be patient with the timing, (shifting), slow down the process so you get a feel for the order that things should come as well as the timing - don't try to upshift or downshift all jerky and quick. That tends to be rough, and plus it makes you look dorky. Quick shifting will come naturally when you become good at driving a stick.
well, as of last night's practice run - im getting to become a lot smoother. my hill starts are going fine now without over-reving (though cheating by using the side brakes)....

i just hope that i dont damage my car before i really get used to driving stick.

·
Registered
138 Posts
well, as of last night's practice run - im getting to become a lot smoother. my hill starts are going fine now without over-reving (though cheating by using the side brakes)....

i just hope that i dont damage my car before i really get used to driving stick.

Well that's good to hear - it's a beautiful car and I hope you don't wreck it either for that alone! Btw doesn't your Civic friend give you any driving tips??

I've had a lot of experience driving manual cars in fact I've only owned one automatic to date but I remember years back that I would actually qsych myself out on hill starts - it's not a big deal really, but I think it's more a matter of staying cool. Also, though I consider the S-GT and STI to be completely different cars, essentially, I can tell that the S-GT would not be the easiest car for a novice to drive even though it is on the forgiving side for a sporty car. Again, it becomes second nature after a while to the point where you don't think twice about it. The side-brake is agood for giving yourself some extra confidence but, as S;eepingWRX mentioned before, doesn't your car come with that hill start mechanism anyway?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi banion...

yep - my Civic friend does give me tips... but it is quite limited at "too fast... too sudden... too long... too slow... need to relax... need to feel... etc. etc." i guess he is not that good when it comes to explaining - really difficult for me because im sort of "technical/visual guy." before i can actually learn the shift points by feeling, it would be easier for me to know the exact points by what rev, what gear, and what speed.... my friend is more of the emphatic-type

yeah - it does have a hill start, but it is not long enough for me as it still takes time to feel the right balance of the friction point and the gas. i also tend to subconsciously panic, and over-rev when i feel the car roll back.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ul start to feal it but at 1st gear i dont let go of the clutch all the way it start to get going around like half clutch and from then at around 5mph i shift to 2nd and for downshifting if ur not racing i just releas the clutch fast when the rpm is droping around 2k rpm but thats a wrx not sti so i dont know how itl do in an sti or sometimes it takes a longer to drop the clutch on downshifts so there is no jerk just drive around thats my tip
hmm i can let the clutch off all the way in first after about 1500 rpm and shift to 2nd once i get to 2500 or 3000
is this bad? i'm also new to Manuel but almost got it down now

Thanks for the replies, guys... Really appreciate it...
:D

I guess practice is the only way to g...
I am just worried that if I dont get my act together soon - I may ruin the engine, ie., the transmission, clutch, etc. from too much jerking, missed shifts, over reving (not much to redline, though), etc.
:'(

Or, that Id be in big troube - rolling back too much during a hill start...

*sigh*

Sometimes I ask myself - "why did I get a manual transmission?"
Unfortunately, the only answer that comes to mind - "AT is boring."
yes practice is the key. i'm just like you just learned stick last month and just barely getting it smooth starting 3 weeks ago
i know wat u mean by why didn't i get a AT lol. i was like that on the first day i was learning stick. stalled about 10 times before i could get the car moving haha. but now i love it. stick is so much fun. just take it to the mountains. thats how i'm learning stick

i say don't worry about downshift, heel toe, etc yet till u've got driving a stick smooth. it's been a month and a half for me now and i'm just barely practicing rev matching on down shift and a lil bit of heel toe
my friend always say don't push yourself when your learning

·
Registered
223 Posts
As others have said, smoothness comes with experience. Personally, I like to take advantage of the Hill Start Assist to get going on hills, but that means that on some hills a bit of clutch slippage is in order, and is perfectly fine.

Here is what I do for smooth upshifts:
Gently let off the accelerator and push the clutch in, make the shift, and let the clutch out smoothly while applying a touch of throttle. The touch of throttle stops the revs from dropping so fast which is probably what is causing that "shock" you are talking about. When making upshifts, the higher the rpm's I shift at, the faster I let out the clutch after making the shift.

Here is what I do for smooth downshifts:
Push the clutch in, "blip" the throttle (pressing on it and letting go quickly in one quick engine-revving motion) and make the shift, then let the clutch out. Sometimes I just hold the brakes and make the downshift and let the clutch out real slow.

No matter what, automatic is just a whole lot smoother than a manual transmission and I would not worrry about any damage or unnecessary wear-and-tear to your car. Manual transmissions can take some punishment and as long as you are not doing any abuse, your car is and will be just fine. ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
hi banion...

yep - my Civic friend does give me tips... but it is quite limited at "too fast... too sudden... too long... too slow... need to relax... need to feel... etc. etc." i guess he is not that good when it comes to explaining - really difficult for me because im sort of "technical/visual guy." before i can actually learn the shift points by feeling, it would be easier for me to know the exact points by what rev, what gear, and what speed.... my friend is more of the emphatic-type

yeah - it does have a hill start, but it is not long enough for me as it still takes time to feel the right balance of the friction point and the gas. i also tend to subconsciously panic, and over-rev when i feel the car roll back.

There are no exact points by gear and rev per se, because it all depends on how fast you are accelerating or decelerating that determines those things ie when you are accelerating quickly, you would want to let the engine rev higher in each gear before shifting (consider the "power band" of your engine - as a rule of thumb, the rev's straight up at 12:00 on your tachometer is where your engine is at it's strongest - I don't know what that is on your STI, it is about 6100 r.p.m for my car, redline at 7500 , but you don't really want to be going there quite yet I think).

If you want to really grandma the car in everyday city driving in traffic for example, keep the rev's on the tachometer somerwhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm by shifting up or down when you get close to each margin. You probably won't be feeling much turbo boost at all until you get above 2500 rpm or so anyway, so it should be quite tame and smooth. When you are going up hills or something, you would want to raise the margins to the 2000 to 3000 range I suppose. Not even that much. But, don't be a grandma becuase your car will get used to that and turn into a grandma STI... and nobody wants that ;)

If you want to be the super sonic road warrior then keep your revs above 3000 to the redline all the time and feel that STI in your back pushing you around like a "solid gold rocket car"!

·
Registered
42 Posts
upshifts.. won't take long to master.. just need more time.. patience.. you'll be smoother.. faster the more you shift.

downshift on the other hand..

u gotta understand a little bit of how things work..

learn how to..

- rev match..
- double clutch..
- heel n' toe

:) have fun

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Here is an excellent guide to driving manual transmissions. It doesn't have a ton of detail, but you can use it to get a general idea of what you want to work on. From there you can search for any terms you need explained further.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=587096

If you develop these habits early, soon your superior vehicle will be matched by your superior driving skills, and your Honda buddies will be in the rear view.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey, guys!!!

thanks a lot for all the replies - it is much appreciated...!!! my apologies for not having been able to reply any earlier - been busy with lots of stuff (including the break-in period, currently at 7,000 rpms around 1,000 km)!

hi banion...! can you explain this in more detail? particularly the "speed relative to the speed your are braking from and to"...?

as for this morning's run to work (yeah - taking the STI to work now... beginning to hate taking the subways!), i have usually no problem with shift from 2-upwards (quite smooth, fast, and consistent). what im currently struggling right now is the "1-2" shift where i always get that "shock" or "thump."

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is what I do for smooth upshifts:
Gently let off the accelerator and push the clutch in, make the shift, and let the clutch out smoothly while applying a touch of throttle. The touch of throttle stops the revs from dropping so fast which is probably what is causing that "shock" you are talking about. When making upshifts, the higher the rpm's I shift at, the faster I let out the clutch after making the shift.
conversely, you then need to let the clutch SLOWER at LOWER rpms?

Here is what I do for smooth downshifts:
Push the clutch in, "blip" the throttle (pressing on it and letting go quickly in one quick engine-revving motion) and make the shift, then let the clutch out. Sometimes I just hold the brakes and make the downshift and let the clutch out real slow.
yes, MrElussive - this is actually what im practicing right now. i either "blip" the throttle before releasing the clutch, OR do the downshift at very low revs and let out the clutch really slow.

No matter what, automatic is just a whole lot smoother than a manual transmission and I would not worrry about any damage or unnecessary wear-and-tear to your car. Manual transmissions can take some punishment and as long as you are not doing any abuse, your car is and will be just fine. ;)
i really do hope so...!!! because im really worried about the mistakes im doing!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is an excellent guide to driving manual transmissions. It doesn't have a ton of detail, but you can use it to get a general idea of what you want to work on. From there you can search for any terms you need explained further.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=587096

If you develop these habits early, soon your superior vehicle will be matched by your superior driving skills, and your Honda buddies will be in the rear view.
hi WRX....

thanks a lot for the link... ;)

very informative - ill try to digest as much as i can, and practice whenever possible.

yeah - cant wait when ill have my Honda buddies eat my dust... ;D

·
Registered
402 Posts
yeah im in the same boat you are in... although i got it down by 2 days after i got it...
still have a lot to practice with like rev matching and double clutching

·
Registered
646 Posts
the 08's clutches are really wierd to get used to, other then practice the only thing else that may help is exhaust, i can shift alot better in a car where i can hear it then a silent car. the sti might be loud enough to know that..and i rev match everything, unless im driving fast, i rev match up shifts, just a tiny blip while im shifting, and i definetly rev match every downshift. it makes it all alot smoother with alot less clunks on every shift. youll get it down, im almost 21 and driven an auto like 5 times total and i still have times where its not smooth, just dont side step the clutch, our cars arent built for that kind of abuse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts