Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read directions before you attempt to perform, as it can be frustrating and difficult. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the directions or your attempt in changing the shifter, by attempting this you there in are responsible for any damage that you incur. Other then that have fun.....

Tools Required:
Two wrenches (Monkey)
Rubber Mallet
Philip's Head Screwdriver
Flat Head Screwdriver
Grease
Muscle.....

First unscrew and remove the shift knob:

Then, in the center console there are two screw at the bottom. Unscrew those and put them in a safe place.

Carefully remove handbrake cover to expose screw. Unscrew the screw and place it somewhere safe.

Make sure then you have completely unclipped the handbrake cover. Then carefully remove whole center console. Be carefully as there is are two hooks and a white clip in the front. Remove.

White clip. CAREFUL

Then you can remove the front section of the console that has the shift boot. This comes off easily and does not have any clips.

This is what the sifter looks like exposed.

There are large plastic white screws that need to be removed. You have use the flat head here or you can do it by hand. There is one in front and in back. Make sure that you get both and place in a safe location.

Remove rubber and foam cover. Be careful here as well.

Now the shifter is expose and the fun part begins. Unscrew the blot that runs through the middle.

Now that the bolt is removed you should have it free to pull out the shifter. This will take a lot of muscle. There is another few steps here that you can do, but I didn't do them, I did it the much more difficult way. There is a way of removing the plastic bushing that goes around the shifter, I would certainly recommend do this.

Now that the shifter is removed you can find out how to get the white bushing out. Most shifters come with direction on how to remove this. You don't have to but it will make it easier.

The two shifters side by side.

Remove gray bushings and metal tube from original shifter and place in new shifter if needed.

Grease the hell out of the ball and joint. This is very important.

Use rubber mallet to get back into place. If you removed the bushing then set it into the slot. This is the area where I would really make clear that it is much better to remove the white bushing and then place around the new shifter ball to make a ball socket joint. If you use a mallet you can possibly damage the white bushing. So, with great care get it back in.

Now that it is in place you can put the bolt in and then put the stuff back together the way you took it apart. Just reverse these steps to put back together from the bolt point.

Fin.....

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: SS Install

Thank you, but pictures that work would probably help :)

·
Registered
752 Posts

I don't see pictures either. I had to use my imagination.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts

White bushings only cost another 11 something to get from the dealer btw... I have an extra laying on my desk as my other one only has two teeth left, but it still works just fine and haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts

NICE DIY! i can see the pics...Thats actually pretty easy! I am ordering the Cobb one and im guessing its almost the same install...so i can't wait!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I like it. I now have the Cobb SS, I like it a little bit better. If you want the best, I think that the STI short shifter would be best cause it changes the linkage not just the geometry.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I did install it and I think that not having it might be better as it does get in the way of shifting.

·
Registered
40 Posts

How did you get this shifter out?????? I have everything apart and have tried everything I can think of. I installed the COBB on my 05 and it wasn't bad at all. I have a kartboy this time and can't get the factory one out. Any hints, tips?

·
Registered
253 Posts

How did you get this shifter out?????? I have everything apart and have tried everything I can think of. I installed the COBB on my 05 and it wasn't bad at all. I have a kartboy this time and can't get the factory one out. Any hints, tips?
Get some O-ring pliers:

Now, there is no need to ever use a rubber mallett. It's worthless. You can take that white part with your hands. It came out very easily. Now when you are ready to put the new kartboy in, slip in the white thing on the ball after it's greased to hell. Put back the c-clip and tightened the bolt.

·
Registered
183 Posts

IS THE STI SHIFTER SHORTER HEIGHT WISE? I HAVE THE COBB IN RIGHT NOW AND NOT IMPRESSED (LOOSE BY ABOUT 1/4" SHIFTING OR IN NEUTRAL) AND CAUSES A ANNOYING RATTLE AT 4K RPM AND ABOVE

·
Registered
253 Posts

IS THE STI SHIFTER SHORTER HEIGHT WISE? I HAVE THE COBB IN RIGHT NOW AND NOT IMPRESSED (LOOSE BY ABOUT 1/4" SHIFTING OR IN NEUTRAL) AND CAUSES A ANNOYING RATTLE AT 4K RPM AND ABOVE
tighten the crossbolt more. It happened to me with my kartboy, i thought there was something wrong, but it seemed that i didn't use enough balls to tighten it :eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts

tighten the crossbolt more. It happened to me with my kartboy, i thought there was something wrong, but it seemed that i didn't use enough balls to tighten it :eek:
Great will give it a try ;D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I had the same problem with the vibration. It drove me so mad, even after I tightened the hell out of it that I have gone back to the stock shifter. I am done with the short shifters. Just haven't liked them on this car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
kartboy ss install

so i just installed my karyboy short shift and the actual shifter was no problem. when i got to the bushings part, the front was alright not TOO difficult. the rear.... that's gonna wait till the car gets on a lift lol. thing was impossible to ge to. shifting feels a lot different. i had lots of questions(had some help from friends) like "is it supposed to "click" like that when it gets into gear(this is my first stick car). over all though im really happy, nothing wrong...yet lol

just wanted to put my .02

1 - 20 of 73 Posts