Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go. This is a how to that will show you how to install a amp wiring kit, amp, and subwoofer in your car and wire up all them.

lets start with what we need, your going to need a 10mm socket, Flat head and phillips drivers, wire cutter, crimper, butt connectors, and beer.

Step 1: Pop the hood and locate your battery.

Step 2: Figure out where your going to run the power wire through the firewall. I found an awsome spot but it was a pain in the ass to get to. Theres a rubber gasket like thing that has 2 or 3 lines of some type going through it. I ended up pulling it out of the fire wall and cutting the extra nipple thats in it out and ran the wire through there. Push the power wire through from the inside its alot easier to do it that way. After you get the wire through put the gasket back.

Step 3: Remove the ddrivers side console side. Why i have no idea...

Step 4: go under the hood and relocate the battery, remove the plastic positive cover and undo the nut with the 10mm socket. Place power wire on there and tighten it up. Make sure when placing the power wire you face it the same way as the other wires or the red cover wont go back on right.

Step 5: fun part starts here. Start removing the molding, I found the easiest way to do this was to pry the molding out by turning it twords the outside of the car. Only broke one clip :) Also remove the door gasket at this point, dont fully remove it though. Pull the carpet up enough to get your power wire , remote wire and the rca cable under it. After you do that you can put the front back together.

Step 6: Pop your back seat out by pulling up on it on both sides. place off to the side.

Step 7: remove the molding the same way we did in the front. also remove the molding between the front and rear doors. it pops out if you pull hard enough. careful not to loose any of the push clip things.

Step 8: Run the wires under the rear carpet like we did for the front. Then i placed the wires through and under the seat backs so it went into the trunck area.

Step 9: Remove this nut and place your amp ground wire between it and tighten it back up. the size is 10mm

Step 10: disasemble the rear door..... so it looks like this.

Step 11: ok ok ill tell you how to get it apart, dont want you to break anything. First we are going to remove the 2 phillips screw that are located in the hand cup and begind the handle. then we are going to pop the piece that has the window button on it out, pull up easy from the side twords the door hinges. Disconnect the window button wire, I couldnt get it to come out so i just popped out the whole switch.

Step 12: dont go pulling on the door yet. theres 2 more screws to undo. They are located behind where the plastic peice is we removed. also remove the thingy in the second picture by pulling it twoeds the inside of the door. second picture isnt mine its scooter11's i forgot to take a pic of that part.

Step 13: Pull easy on the plastic so it pops off, start over by the child safety lock, theres a nice spot to start. Once you pop it off althe way around lift up and pop the panel off the door frame. Place off to t he side, it scratchs easy!

Step 14: remove the speaker via the 3 screws, unplug it and place off to the side. If your going to install after market speakers this would be the time to turn the old ones into frizbees.

Step 15: While i was in here i ran some better speaker wire for when i upgrade to new speakers, and the way i was going to run the amp i needed to run a wire off the speakers anyway. To run the wire pop the rubber thing from between the car and the boor off on both sides. run wire from the bottom of the rubber thing through to the top. This was easier than i thought it would be. Once done pop the rubber thing back in.

Step 16: Run wire into car and dowen through the door and out the speaker hole. Connect the wire to the speaker wires that are already there with connectors.

Step 17: reassemble the door. if you have new speakers put those in instread of the old ones.

Step 18: Repeat for other doors. run the wires down and through to the cargo area/trunck like we did with the power wire, remote and rca cable.

Step 19: i dont have a aftermarket head unit yet so i hooled my remote line into the fuse panel, off one of the fuses that turns on when you turn the key. see picture for what fuse i used. The lower wire was the fuse.

Step 20: mount amp to your box then hook up all the wires to your amp. it should be labeled.

Step 21: after hearing what it sounded like i decided to get a hi to low converter. I still have to go get it. ill add that wiring in here once i do it.

Step 22: insert fuse into power wire under the hood and close hood. turn key and check if amp turns on, if so your all set to adjust the amp, if you get no power you diud somthing wrong. Go back and check the wiring.

Step 23: assemble anything thats not put back together yet and then drive around and harras people by blasting music.

As always feel free to post in here with questions and or comments. All in all it took about 3 hours for me to get this done. parts that took the longest were running the speaker wire through the rubber thing and getting the power wire through the firewall.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks great! Where did you tap for your RCA?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Very nice install. I have a question, I had a hell of a time getting the long floor panels off. I can pull the middle of it comes out easy but the ones on the ends are crazy. I broke one of the end tabs from pulling it too hard, any tips or tools you used to take it off without breaking the end tabs, circled in red below:

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats the same one i broke. on the other side i put a hand on each side and prayed while pulling and it didnt break. Im not sure if theres a tool or anything you could use. Just take your time while pulling up try rotating it back and forth, should help with poping it out.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think it's an ok Install. the first thing i would have said would have been to disconnect the battery and take the fuse out of the power cable. And rather than tapping the rear door speaker you could have tapped it behind the radio and ran your RCA the length of the car preferably not on the same side as the power cable because it's been known to cause feedback through your speakers. someone said it before, that box is huge. I dont think you'll be able to use your hatch curtain. a shorter angled face box could have given you the same denemsions. I probably wouldn't have tan wire to the the fuse box. there's accessory wires under the dash you could have tapped or ran it off your constant and just toggle switched it. dont mind me i'm just picky about stereo installs. what's important is that your happy with the finished product.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is a 12v remote behind the dash. Thats also where i tapped into the rear speakers at with a speaker level adaptor.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did it the way i did it so when i do go after market deck there will be no traces of me screwing around with things. and for the fact that i dont have to rewire the rear speakers again for my amp, when i get it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I was running a cheap $30 hi-low LOC in my old 4runner and it worked alright but i was unsatisfied with the sound quality. I think im going to go with the JL clean sweep this time around. I favor the stock stereo to aftermarket personally, mostly because of theft reasons and i already have an ipod jack and 6 disc changer. Not much else they offer other than nav or a touch screen which i dont need. i have a blackberry with google maps to find my way ;D

·
Registered
493 Posts
I tapped my rca line converter into the wire harness behind the Head Unit. If anyone wants the specific wire colors for each rear speaker let me know. if i was home I would post them but all that info is at home on the laptop Maybe I will re edit this when i get home with the color codes..

Those that don't like tapping into fuses (like myself) to power the amp(remote line) there is a remote wire out of the factory HU. yellow/red

Remember you are using the reverse wiring harness not the main one plugged into the HU it's a piggyback connection.

I know i found somewhere on here the old school diagram for the wire harness but those specs basically void all the 08's and the wires are totally different colors then the diagram.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a question. I've tugged on the bottom of the seat but its not coming up. I had a old 03 RS and that was pretty straight forward. And the whole door seals aren't coming up very nicely. I hope there wasn't a change from 08 to 09...Thank you

·
Registered
191 Posts
The two rear speakers in the doors. you need to hook into both for good sound.
Let me get this straight, you hooked up your rca wires directly to your speaker wires?
I just picked up a sub, amp and wiring kit and im trying to piece together what you did...

Im a total noob when it come to thiss stuff. So let me see if I understand.
-Run Power cable to battery
-connect ground to bare steel on car
-Splice into all four door speakers and run back to amp
-Also connect rca cables to the two rear door speakers...??? My amp is only 2 channel, does that mean I will only be connection two rca cables??
-Then run remote wire directly to fuse box (I did the same with my boost gauge so I get that part)

If someone could just let me know if im missing something

·
Registered
191 Posts
I only see 4 wires coming out of this...does that mean I have to connect two wires to each rear door speaker...or can I connect all four to the back of the headunit and tap into all four speakers...??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts