Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just checking out Cobb's website and they claim that their AP Stage 1 map for the last-gen WRX alone frees up an additional 30-33 (depending on if it's the EJ20 or EJ25). For the 2008 however, the most that a Stage 1 upgrade frees up is an extra 7 HP and 9 lb/ft. That sucks. Is the smaller turbo the major limiter in seeing bigger gains? What is the max psi that the new cars run @ VS. the older one max boost levels?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
So I was just checking out Cobb's website and they claim that their AP Stage 1 map for the last-gen WRX alone frees up an additional 30-33 (depending on if it's the EJ20 or EJ25). For the 2008 however, the most that a Stage 1 upgrade frees up is an extra 7 HP and 9 lb/ft. That sucks. Is the smaller turbo the major limiter in seeing bigger gains? What is the max psi that the new cars run @ VS. the older one max boost levels?
for 91 oct
7hp is actually 7% gain = 16hp
9ft lbs is actually 10% gain = 23ft lbs
Also the numbers that Cobb is quoting are at the Flywheel (hp) and not at the ground (WHP). Still not great, but better...

Max PSI is around 13... and I am seeing that on my logs

·
Registered
629 Posts
I thought all the WRX's ran with the Mitsubishi TD04....?? or did some have TD05??

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
COBB's tuning for the WRX is super conservative. Go check out Perrin's results.
But yeah the turbo maxes at 17psi then tapers to 13psi or so in the red zone.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ircc the turbo is about the same size as previous years as i was told
Same VF34 as 2007, but larger wastegate housing
??? No WRX has ever had a VF34...this is completely wrong.

The turbo is the exact same TD04-13T as previous years. The only difference is the changed compressor housing to mate up with the LGT style intercooler.

The main reason the OTS Cobb maps are making less power than previous years is because the boost is lower, as TougeMonster said. Possibly due to the tiny intercooler.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the intercooler, IMO Cobb looked at the OEM mapping made a couple of improvements, basically made it more stable added a little bit of boost and released the map. It is just a better version of OEM mapping with Cobbs name on it.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Didn't see the earlier post but yes TD04-13T.

+1 to Left Coast's and Jotun's statements also about the COBB map
Revised throttle mapping and safer fuel mixtures, a little more boost but all based off the OEM map. That's why the dynos look very similar, albeit, the power improvement.

They did a much better job on the STi. Great thing you have all the wonderful people here sharing maps.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
my fault... I got the turbo model type confused, but it's the same as the 07s just with a larger wastegate... at least thats what Christian of COBB said...

·
Registered
114 Posts
my fault... I got the turbo model type confused, but it's the same as the 07s just with a larger wastegate... at least thats what Christian of COBB said...
AFAIK, the hotside of the turbo is identical. You may be thinking of the STi turbo (VF48) which, (I think-may be wrong) you are correct, has a larger internal wastegate.

I know that the VF43 is the same as the VF39 only with a larger wastegate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the intercooler, IMO Cobb looked at the OEM mapping made a couple of improvements, basically made it more stable added a little bit of boost and released the map. It is just a better version of OEM mapping with Cobbs name on it.
True. We know the car can make more power by upping the boost to the same as previous models (~17psi) - TurboXS, Perrin, etc. have threads on NASIOC showing this.

Now, since our powertrain is basically the same as the LGT, I had a look on LegacyGT.com

Apparently there are more than a few cases of blown TMIC endtanks from stage 2 (17 psi). Maybe this is the reason the 08 map is so conservative?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts