Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the gas station today and suddenly the gas cap cover door won't flip open. I had a similar problem last week while out of town and thankfully the local Sube dealer was open, but the only thing the tech could do was tell me to make sure the plastic cord that holds the gas cap didn't get behind the tab on the lid that I think is supposed to be the spring to open it. Anyway, it happened again today in spite of my doing what he said. I got my neighbor to help me, and one of us held the cover door in while the other activated the lift lever by the driver seat. It worked that way several times but would not work without human intervention at the cover door - not an acceptable situation. Anyone know of a solution to this? I'm on my way to my local dealer this afternoon, but it's Saturday and the service advisor looked doubtful to say the least.

Mike

·
Registered
182 Posts
And to get to where you can bend the tab, lift the release lever in the cabin and stuff a glove or a rag or a wadded up paper towel or a bunch of kleenex or something under it, so that it stays released while you walk around the car to get the gas cap cover open. Tap it sharply and it should pop out enough to get hold of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bent the tab in a bit and it still didn't work. I'm at the dealer now and will report on what they have to say.

Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
Haha, I had the same problem. I went to the gas station and couldn't get the gas tank door open. I had to explain the the cashier why I wanted to finish my transaction without pumping any gas. haha. When I got home I got it open and I just kept bending the tab slightly until I found a setting where it would consistently open. I haven't had any trouble with it and it's been 9000 miles since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hard to say what exactly the dealer did except that I now have to push the door a little harder to latch it shut, but it does spring open like it's supposed to. As long as it works, guess I can't complain.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts