Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car is stage 2 and for about a month I was running the Perrin Stage 2 map. Target boost is 17.5 and I was hitting about 17. The car was running fine everything was good. I then purchased a map from Clark Turner and while doing the WOT pull and threw code P0224. I then send him an email and he sends me another map. Do another WOT pull test and throw the same code. Only hitting like 15.5 psi.... I then switch back to the Perrin Map and now i'm only hitting 15.3 max boost... I tried adjusting my wastegate arm and that did nothing. After switching on and off with Clarks map and the Perrin map did something cause now i'm only hitting 7 pounds. I put the wastegate arm back to stock position and even took out the restrictor pill to see if I was gonna overboost at all... Nothing! Still only hitting 7pounds... Uninstalled AP then reinstalled and put the Cobb map on... STILL only hitting 7 pounds...

I have no Idea what it is and hope somebody can help. All the lines are fine and i'm 99% sure I don't have a boost leak, but i'm going to get a compression check just to make sure. Car only has 5700 miles on it. This is really pissing me off!! Somebody please help haha...

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
What is the '99%' sure based on?

The fact that it keeps getting worse means that you've got a leak that's in fact getting worse,

You said you tightened the wastegate and there was no change what-so-ever?

~Mike

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
P0224 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Intermittent

i didn't think the factory wastegate actuator was adjustable... sounds like your wastegate might be stuck open too, preventing boost from building up.

are you getting your boost pressure from the cobb AP? it would be nice to know for sure what you are getting for boost from another gauge.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
So my car is stage 2 and for about a month I was running the Perrin Stage 2 map. Target boost is 17.5 and I was hitting about 17. The car was running fine everything was good. I then purchased a map from Clark Turner and while doing the WOT pull and threw code P0224. I then send him an email and he sends me another map. Do another WOT pull test and throw the same code. Only hitting like 15.5 psi.... I then switch back to the Perrin Map and now i'm only hitting 15.3 max boost... I tried adjusting my wastegate arm and that did nothing. After switching on and off with Clarks map and the Perrin map did something cause now i'm only hitting 7 pounds. I put the wastegate arm back to stock position and even took out the restrictor pill to see if I was gonna overboost at all... Nothing! Still only hitting 7pounds... Uninstalled AP then reinstalled and put the Cobb map on... STILL only hitting 7 pounds...

I have no Idea what it is and hope somebody can help. All the lines are fine and i'm 99% sure I don't have a boost leak, but i'm going to get a compression check just to make sure. Car only has 5700 miles on it. This is really pissing me off!! Somebody please help haha...
Are you sure it was a "PO224" could it have been a "PO244"

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
(If PO224) Might be also a fried DBW sensor to me or that part of the tune fried that part of the ecu. Bring it to the dealer. It is not sensing throttle positions passed what would get you to 7psi at the worst case if all the throttle points are screwed then you wont be able to move.

Or the car is stuck in limp mode. Make sure to do reflash option on the AP.

PS. Remember to remove the tune if bringing to dealer. Uninstall completely and see if you are still at 7psi.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
(If PO224) Might be also a fried DBW sensor to me or that part of the tune fried that part of the ecu. Bring it to the dealer. It is not sensing throttle positions passed what would get you to 7psi at the worst case if all the throttle points are screwed then you wont be able to move.

PS. Remember to remove the tune if bringing to dealer. Uninstall completely and see if you are still at 7psi.
Interesting I have a shop manual and I have not found the PO224 code... I have a PO223 and a PO230, but I have not found a PO224?

Where have you found that code?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Interesting I have a shop manual and I have not found the PO224 code... I have a PO223 and a PO230, but I have not found a PO224?

Where have you found that code?
OBDII Reader Std
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38925

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hmm that is interesting... i wonder why it would not be listed in the shop manual? I thought that it was kinda weird that the codes skipped numbers instead of being sequential...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Hmm.. thats weird.. still thats why I say take it to a tunner and let them tune it..
If the sensor is fried though, it won't do any good. None of his tunes are alleviating any of the symptoms.
The maps all have throttle positions calibrated but even at WOT he is not experiencing a fully open throttle.

I say dealer time if this is the case bad sensor needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Agreed but what I was stating is if you want to run a strong tune that is not an off the shelf why not just take it to a tuning shop and let them have at it..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Agreed but what I was stating is if you want to run a strong tune that is not an off the shelf why not just take it to a tuning shop and let them have at it..
For sure. Mail order, trial and error is quite scary for me as well

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Thats my thing.. But I guess if you dont live around a good tuner then I guess you can chance it.. But I know the tuner around here and his work is proven and is guaranteed.. But to each his own I guess, I would not do it to my car..

But man seriously I hope everything works out for you and in my book stick with the perrin map its proven and its seems like the other tune is what messed things up revert to stock get it checked.. then if you want bump it back to stage 2 using the proven perrin map..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P0244 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/Performance

that does make more sense Lefty :)

i would haul off the dp and check to see if the wastegate is stuck open, if it was me... 7 psi....
Yea sorry guys that was the code not P0224... And I put the wastegate arm back to stock position and made sure it moved. Was moving fine and didn't hear the flutter sound. Still only boosting to 7psi...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
P0244 Turbocharger Wastegate Solenoid A Range/Performance

that does make more sense Lefty :)

i would haul off the dp and check to see if the wastegate is stuck open, if it was me... 7 psi....
Yea sorry guys that was the code not P0224... And I put the wastegate arm back to stock position and made sure it moved. Was moving fine and didn't hear the flutter sound. Still only boosting to 7psi...

Flutter sound... Can you list ALL you motor mods please.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yes a flutter sound could be compressor surge..(not good) but im no mechanic so I dont really know... MOD list plz..

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yes a flutter sound could be compressor surge..(not good) but im no mechanic so I dont really know... MOD list plz..
My first thought was BOV...

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Haha well last time I heard a flutter sound I was loosing compression in two of my 6 cylinders...

Hopefully it's a little less severe for you...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts