Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well everyone knows we need intercooler to cool the air and the down fall of the subies is that is top mounted and heat build up really lessens the efficiencies of it.
then moving on to intercooler sprayers and NO2 spray kits. bottom line all options to make the intercooler work better cost money. lots of money. unlike my 07 that that i had alot of money at the time to throw everything on it. i have a kid coming now so, i have to find a much cheaper way to cool the intercooler rather then just buying stuff to do so.
on my 08 wrx i have nothing on it but a Cobb Accessport, the AP monitors everything with the car all the sensors. and shows u any guage u wanna see. being top mounted iam going to give it a try to just dump a bunch of nothing but just plain old regular FREE ICE from my fridge on top of the intercooler to see if efficient and intake temp and boost level and afr remains the same or better? I would like everyone to give it a try in different area at different speed and tell me how it go for u guys. giving that the scoop is useless after 60mph and engine heat build up will melt the ice pretty quick but give it a try. and tell me how it goes for u. the intake temp should stay the same cause the air temp is the maf senser whihc is right at the intake box. but u should see minor changes in drivabilty and maybe a bit more throttle respondse? who knows? or it could be a brand new car (doubt it).

·
Registered
519 Posts
How you figure the scoop is useless after 60 mph? I would think it is starting to hit peak efficiency at higher speeds like that. I haven't seen it in a wind tunnel so I couldn't be sure but it would seem that the design wouldn't push air over top of the scoop at that speed. And I can tell you I watch my hood hood start to shake some at around 80-90 mph so it would seem to me that the air is trying to push the hood up from the scoop.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Yeah, I have noticed my hood doing a good deal of shaking at high speeds.... I would like to know how you know this, well, it really won't make a difference to me after Monday cause I will have a FMIC.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i thought about spraying my intercooler with a bottle of nitrous, but the weather has been pretty cold here in oklahoma.

i still might try it in the summer at the track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
for a cheap fix try using a washerfluid pump to spray water onto the intercooler and have it set up to come on at a certain boost lvl using a vaccum switch. its really cheap and easy to rig up yourself and works well

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you have ever been to professional drag races the turbo drag cars actually pack ice on the turbos before the run and that is a big improvement hard to do though unless your turbo is cold to start or else you will just melt the ice in one second.

·
Registered
220 Posts
McMaster-Carr part number 3460K41
T a line from your boost gauge or from the diverter valve to this part. Run a 12v line from your fuse box to the switch, and from the switch to a washer fluid pump. You can plumb the new pump into the existing line before the existing pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts