Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Hope to be officially joining the ranks soon :) If any of you are pre gen3 Impreza owners you might recognize my handle as I am a pretty frequent contributor and/or moderator on nasioc, i-club, clubwrx, wrxtuners, etc

I hail from the Big Sky state of Montana and previously owned a 2002 WRX sedan (purchased in the spring of 01), current owner of a 2004 WRX wagon and have just today pre-ordered a 2009 WRX hatch. I bring a fair amount of experience in the area of suspension setup and am a pretty active autox'r and track day enthusiast. My last two cars were attempts (fairly successful from my standpoint) to balance the needs of daily driving, while trying to push the envelope on performance. I will have similar goals for this car as well.

Looking forward to contributing where I can.

Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome Big Sky. Thanks for coming over. I have enjoyed your posts on Nasioc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Welcome to the next gen. :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I test drove a couple of 08's earlier- liked the 2.5 liters :) didn't care on how much they softened things up (of course my 04 hasn't seen the oe suspension in some time, so my recollection could be jaded somewhat) w/ the suspension

my hope is that w/ the new found hp/tq that it's still is plenty "useable", if not maybe someone will get a good deal on a turbo trade :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mike,
I am watching your progress real closely cause I am also getting an 09 WRX.
Hopefully since you have good experience with earlier generations you will be able to steer those of us with less experience in the right direction the first time around.

The biggest past problem I have had with modifying cars is doing mis-matched modifications rather than a well organized series of modifications that work well together without wasted money or time as well as doing stuff in the right order to build each change upon the previous.

Any idea yet as to your initial plan of attack?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah I've made plenty of mistakes along the way too, hopefully I've learned from them :)

here's my initial thoughts (and plans)- while the 225/45/17 "summer" tires are a big step up from the RE92's, I will be upgrading to a 245/40 or 255/45/17 in a very sticky variety on a much wider wheel- probably a 9" rim.

the Impreza is a heavy car, wide (sticky) tires and wheels make a huge improvement in handling/braking

the next area I'm going to focus is the brakes, the 294x24 front rotor isn't enough rotor for track days (even extended canyon/mtn runs can tax them)- while I'd like to spring for a AP BBK, I think I'm going to save my pennies and go w/ LGT calipers and probably a two piece LGT rotor (they use a 316x30mm rotor- quite a bit more mass vs the WRX rotor). The rear rotor is 287mm which is fine IMO (the 02-05 WRX ran a 266mm rotor which was too small) so I'll leave the rear untouched. I've had very good luck w/ Ferodo DS2500 pads so will stick w/ them front and rear (hopefully there is a application for the rear brakes)

I've had a couple of visits w/ Koni and they are definitely coming out w/ insert/shock for the 08/09- they are a tremendous damper so a no brainer for me in the way of dampers.

While the 09 is certainly more stiffly sprung than the 08, I'm thinking for "weekend duties" they won't be stiff enough. I'm working w/ RCE on getting a spring similar to their black/"regular guy" setup- good bump in rates, but not rattle your teeth out stiff. Also a moderate drop- clearly the Impreza is not a platform to go too low.

RCE is also looking into a camber plate for the 08/09, the Impreza really responds well to more neg camber. This car has plenty of caster from the factory- enough that I don't think any effort needs to be made in this area.

Almost assuredly sway bars front/rear- medium to large adj in the front, medium adj rear- took me several years and probably 20 different sway bar combos to get the car dialed in just right- I'm hoping to cut that down a bit w/ the new car :D

STi offers a full compliment of Group N bushings/mounts so it won't be long before I get to pressing in bushings- I'll see what "special tools" I already have work w/ the new platform, but will probably have to come up w/ some news one I'm guessing.

Power wise I've always been pretty conservative. I concentrate my efforts in quickening spool and improving usable torque. I'm sure I'll eventually open up the exhaust and get a good tune. My initial efforts will be w/ suspension and brakes. Even w/ the 2.0 I always felt the WRX had decent power, this one looks like even more decent :)

Probably more info then you wanted, but once I get started typing I have a tough time stopping :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
It sounds like you have some definite ideas churning around in your head.
What about these items:

Factory shifter with bushings -vs- short throw shifter with bushings.

Aftermarket tuning right from the beginning or wait till other items get addressed.

Change out oils and fluids early on (transmission, diff, brake fluids, etc.) or wait for the regular scheduled maintainence interval to address.

Add guages or rely on what few are factory installed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Gee, it sounds like you are going to change out most of the stuff that Subaru have upgraded from the 08, but then again who doesn't mod their WRX. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your 09.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like you have some definite ideas churning around in your head.
What about these items:

Factory shifter with bushings -vs- short throw shifter with bushings.

Aftermarket tuning right from the beginning or wait till other items get addressed.

Change out oils and fluids early on (transmission, diff, brake fluids, etc.) or wait for the regular scheduled maintainence interval to address.

Add guages or rely on what few are factory installed.
I've got a STi short shifter ordered for my 09, I ran this shifter on both my 02 and 04- it replaces the entire shifter assembly- I've been very impressed w/ this shifter- IMO it should come as standard on the WRX. There are new Grp N shifter bushings that were just released- I'll probably add those to the STi shorter shifter and see how they feel.

There is nothing wrong w/ a good tune right out the gate as you can see decent gains w/ just a tune, we'll have to see how fast the tuners react to the 09- they'll need one in their hands before anything can be released. Typically there are a few revisions early on w/ a new model, so it might be best to wait to the "bugs" are sorted somewhat

My break-in consists of a oil change at 1,000, then 3000, then 6000- all w/ dino oil, 5W30. After that I go w/ "Greman" Castrol 0w30 for "winter" and Motul 5W40 for "summer". The changes then come at very 3700 (they could go even longer based on UOA's) I'll continue that w/ the 09. Tranny fluid I swap out every spring (well ahead of any scheduled replacement), I've been running Subaru Extra S w/ very good luck (as have many full on race teams)- it's warranty friendly and damn good fluid. The down side is only comes in a five gallon drum- the up side it will last several changes :)

I plan on getting an Omori boost gauge (probably an egt as well)- the 45mm ones and mount it to the steering column- very oe looking-they have a 08/09 specific gauge (correct needle/backlit color) and nice little oe pod- they also read in Imperial #'s- no need to do any conversions :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quick, crappy pic from the dealer but it's now mine :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Congratz on the new ride. If you decide to debadge the WRX off your grill, I will certainly take the letters. ;)
The darker OEM wheels are an improvement IMHO.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got a sport grill coming, but will transfer the WRX badge on to it :)

I did get rid of the S U B A R U and I M P R E Z A off the rear- much, much cleaner and less busy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yep, was thinking of doing the same on a sports grill. Take a pic when you do it. I want to see if it is worth pursuing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Welcome to you Big Sky enjoy the forum it kicks assz

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I decided not to wait for someone giving up their '09 WRX emblem and just went ahead and ordered one. I think it will look very good on OBP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts