Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of us that purchased the base model didn't get steering wheel audio controls; however, it does not mean that the audio controls are not compatible with our radio. I went to the dealer and purchased the audio controls which is actually the audio controls and the cruise buttons because they share the same wiring harness. Long story short, I was able to install the audio switch and the cruise control (again) and it works. If you do this installation I suggest that you completey tape off the switches before installing, as the air bag can easily scratch them. I'm not responsible for any damages to person(s) or vehicle as a result of this installation.

The part number is 83154AG001 (SW AY Satellite on the box) and sells for $123.09 USD at the dealer. The best source of info I could find on removing our steering wheel was to use this website http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=127. Of course this is for an older model Impreza, but the general concepts are the same. I did not remove the air bag connectors as I didn't know how and did want an explosion in my face. I did disconnect the negative terminal from the battery before doing anything.

This iritates me that Subaru didn't install this feature which would have only cost us an additional $50 at purchase that I would have glady paid. I slightly scratched the corners of my switches because I was holding the air bag in one hand and tightening down the steering wheel nut with the other. ::)

If anyone else has the removal/installation instructions for the steering wheel I would be interested in seeing how the air bag is disconnected and the torque specs for the steering wheel nut. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
good to know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cool thanks for the info. Is that part number for just the controls or is that for a new steering wheel? I installed the factory tweeters and the tweeter bezzels. I have the base sedan, and would like to have the steering controls too.

Seth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never mind a little research I found the answer. It is the switches. Thanks.

Seth

·
Registered
5 Posts
All of us that purchased the base model didn't get steering wheel audio controls; however, it does not mean that the audio controls are not compatible with our radio. I went to the dealer and purchased the audio controls which is actually the audio controls and the cruise buttons because they share the same wiring harness. Long story short, I was able to install the audio switch and the cruise control (again) and it works. If you do this installation I suggest that you completey tape off the switches before installing, as the air bag can easily scratch them. I'm not responsible for any damages to person(s) or vehicle as a result of this installation.

The part number is 83154AG001 (SW AY Satellite on the box) and sells for 3.09 USD at the dealer. The best source of info I could find on removing our steering wheel was to use this website http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=127. Of course this is for an older model Impreza, but the general concepts are the same. I did not remove the air bag connectors as I didn't know how and did want an explosion in my face. I did disconnect the negative terminal from the battery before doing anything.

This iritates me that Subaru didn't install this feature which would have only cost us an additional at purchase that I would have glady paid. I slightly scratched the corners of my switches because I was holding the air bag in one hand and tightening down the steering wheel nut with the other. ::)

If anyone else has the removal/installation instructions for the steering wheel I would be interested in seeing how the air bag is disconnected and the torque specs for the steering wheel nut. Thanks.
I just called the dealer and gave them that part number. It is the $123. He asked for my VIN I gave that to him and when he pulled it up it was a different part number and was cheaper. The number he gave me is 83154AG021. I am not sure what the difference is besides being $78 instead of $123. I ordered it and will let you know how it works.

Seth

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seth, the $78 part is just the cruise control. If you use your base model VIN, then you will not get the audio controls. I had to tell the dealer to look up the WRX Premium and he found the $123 part.

For the tweeters, is the connector on the door or did you have to do some splicing?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
havent had a look at a no premium both they should

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thanks lepore80. That is what I fiugred but he insisted that it came with both controls I told him that I know I had the right part number but still he insisted. So I let him order the wrong one, when it comes in and I can show him, then I will make sure he gets the right one. The connectors are in the door just behind the little panels on the door. Just pry the little panels off install the tweeters in the new bezzles and hook them up. Real easy mod. And the sound difference is amazing. I like the sound out of the factory speakers and woofer, it isn't Bose or Monsoon by any stretch but it is good for non audiofiles like me.

Seth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
From what i heard the factory woofer is made by panasonic
the OEM premium speaker are clarion made

·
Registered
519 Posts
My gf has the Bose system in an 08 Altima Coupe the difference is night and day between our two cars. But I will take the lower quality of sound for the suby any day though.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I just got my wife an 08 Altima Coupe. I really like that car, it is pretty nice. Too bad Subie doesn't have any coupes.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My gf has the Bose system in an 08 Altima Coupe the difference is night and day between our two cars. But I will take the lower quality of sound for the suby any day though.

Seth
i rather have a turbo than a bose OEM system..

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
when the advanced sound system is optional by itself (not in packages with other features) it worth it more to have a aftermarket setup

with 1000$ i can build you a system that will kick ass any OEM branded system (exept mark levinson lexus system)

·
Registered
519 Posts

Seth
i rather have a turbo than a bose OEM system..
I agree I love my WRX the Altima Coupe is an awesome car for what it is designed for just as the WRX is. If I was into luxury as apposed to the sport and all around fun of the WRX I too would own a Altima.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just got my wife an 08 Altima Coupe. I really like that car, it is pretty nice. Too bad Subie doesn't have any coupes.
I would be awesome if the WRX came in a coupe! I am sure that won't happen but I still love my car. The Altima is a great car if you dont want to put anything in the trunk or carry more than 2 people. Backseat just about useless but I still like it much.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't know, We got five people in that car. The trunk isn't too bad. As long as it holds something I am good.

I have figured out what my next car will be. Well I guess that I have it down to two:

Lotus Elise

Caterham Super 7

I have always wanted one of these cars. Well, not always, I have always loved the 911 turbo, but I could buy both of those cars and a supped up STI for that and still have money left over.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah it will fit that many people, but I didn't like riding back there LOL.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts