Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am clueless when it comes to stereos, I looked at the OEM in dash Nav system. It pretty much sucked and I do like a good stereo but my main concern is a GPS. I did some research about a year ago, when I first got my car. The only option was a double din Kenwood that was going to set me back 2 grand + install… (I was looking at a R&D mounting bracket) No way… Right now I have a Zumo 450 works great for the motorcycle and the car. For the car, it is not a clean install, I don’t like the mount hanging off the windshield, wires all over the place, and I want it in the dash and clean.

At a minium this is what I am looking for... I want the ability to up load maps and POI's to the GPS, as well as drop "bread crumbs" and pull my routes off of the GPS. The ability to hook up to my laptop or a flash drive is a must. A 3d display would be a plus too, kind of like what you see in Google earth. Bluetooth, would be very good, but I think it is pretty much standard.

Has anyone seen anything like that out there, or can you point me in the right direction?

On a side note, being able to display, "Live Data" from the ECU would be cool, but not necessarily a make it or break it option

Thanks in advance…

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have pioneer avic-z2 installed very nices setup and you can consistently get them new on ebay for about $900-1050. has built in harddrive for navi and bunch of other cool features. You can also buy the jdm version of the face-plate witch looks 10 times better than the aftermarket kits and is the standard size double din (ours are about 1/2" bigger). Overall its a pretty easy install. ;D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
if you want a good GPS get a portable Tomtom or Garmin, for way less money they are way better, more precise and easy to upgrade... no indash GPS perform as well as a 250$ portable GPS

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I alread have a really good portable GPS a Garmin Zumo, it works great, I am not looking for anything that mounts on the windshield or mounted on top of the dashboard. I am looking for "In Dash" options.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
If GPS is your main concern then I wouldn't go with an Avic. Their nav is generally not as good as some of the other ones out there. I have an Avic D3 and I like it a lot though. It has a lot of nice features, and it gets me where I want to go, even if it's not always in the most efficient way. As for a unit that does all that you are wanting it to do, I dont know. It seems like you are wanting the in-dash to do a lot more than most of them do at the moment, so you're probably going to have to make a few compromises. You could always just go the carputer route so you can get exactly what you want, though it'll probably be more expensive and complicated to deal with.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If GPS is your main concern then I wouldn't go with an Avic. Their nav is generally not as good as some of the other ones out there. I have an Avic D3 and I like it a lot though. It has a lot of nice features, and it gets me where I want to go, even if it's not always in the most efficient way. As for a unit that does all that you are wanting it to do, I dont know. It seems like you are wanting the in-dash to do a lot more than most of them do at the moment, so you're probably going to have to make a few compromises. You could always just go the carputer route so you can get exactly what you want, though it'll probably be more expensive and complicated to deal with.
I Pretty much know that I was asking the the world, and I was not going to get it, nut I might as well ask. On an off chance that there was something that was out there that could do ALL that I wanted, that would be great!
Are there specific web sites that I can research the different features and find something that might come close to what I want?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts