Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok installing a catch can, Cusco, since I'll be going to E85 and I have blow by oil in my intercooler.

So, 2013 wrx the "T" connector for PCV/Inlet/Crank Case looks like an lower case an "F". The top horizontal goes to the inlet and the bottom horizontal runs to PCV, and the bottom/base of the "F" goes into engine block.

I keep finding different installs, some say to cap off the inlet some say to simple run line from Inlet-catchcan-PCV.

So, do I run hose from inlet to can, then from can to the Inlet connection of the "F"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Idk, why in getting blow by either. But I took off y intercooler and there was residue on the TB side and a small pool of oil crap in the cooler-TB hose.

I'm stage 2 with TP maps and external waste gate, nothing else major. I'm going to need a can for e85 which I plan on spring of 2014 so that's the main reason why.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What does e85 have to with getting a can?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I've gathered from research and local E85 subies is that the fuel makes a blow by build up that you don't want to recirculate into your engine (why AOS isn't sufficient)

http://slcsubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3392

Looks like that^^^

Is that correct or no?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, can anyone help the connections?

·
Registered
787 Posts
What I've gathered from research and local E85 subies is that the fuel makes a blow by build up that you don't want to recirculate into your engine (why AOS isn't sufficient)

AOS Vs Catch can

Looks like that^^^

Is that correct or no?

Well, after running e85 exclusively for well over a year, it has made zero difference on blowby, or build up.
Your friends, the e85 subies in your locale, are likely seeing blowby, becuause they MIGHT be seeing a significant increase in power, which causes more pressure in a combustion chamber. The majority of them, likely have stock bottom-ends too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after running e85 exclusively for well over a year, it has made zero difference on blowby, or build up.
Your friends, the e85 subies in your locale, are likely seeing blowby, becuause they MIGHT be seeing a significant increase in power, which causes more pressure in a combustion chamber. The majority of them, likely have stock bottom-ends too.
Thanks for the input!

What do you suggest if I am seeing blow by in my IC/TB already?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks for the input!

What do you suggest if I am seeing blow by in my IC/TB already?
I would imagine its your seals on your turbo actually, if you know for sure the rings on the motor are good, it might be your compressors seals beginning failure.

I would first isolate variables, Clean out the ic/tb really nice, then run 91 for a week
take off IC again, check, reclean, then run a week of e85.
recheck. if no significant residue - proceed to cheer.
If a difference, you need to then interpret what can cause that. Running e85 means more boost, so turbo, more boost means more pressure on internal components, so rings/ringlands/pistons (simple compression test will tell you, i also suggest a leakdown, because you are already in there -- why not?)
If all numbers are within 5% of each other, cheer, or cry depending on how low the numbers are.

This can be something as small as a collapsing breather hose, causing the motor to puke a bit into the intake tract!

A small amount of blow-by will be normal, an aos helps, as long as you aren't doing trackduty (then a more complex rig is suggested)

as you can see, digging into this really becomes a hornet's nest, so if the blow-by is minor, just keep an eye on it, and be more vigilant on checking the oil before you crank her.
If you see things start to radically change, then stop driving the car, you might have a real issue! The more time with the motor spinning the more work you might be requiring for the car to be proper again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts