Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I have a 2.5i Hatchback and I wanted to tighten up the handling a little bit. A rear sway bar will be going in at some point, and the front might be replaced as well... Anyway, I was thinking about different springs as well. Since the pink SPT springs are on sale I was thinking they might fit the bill. How hard would it be to install these? I don't have any experience doing any work on suspension or major work on engines, but I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Is this something that the average person could do?

Or should I start looking for a shop? How much do you think that would that cost? If it is difficult to do on my own, I was thinking I might get the springs while they are on sale, wait for sway bars, then have the whole deal installed and have alignment done about a week later.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
there not to hard to install. your going to need basic hand tools, a spring compressor, and an extra set of hands most likely. also about 3-5 hours, a case or 3 of beer, bandaides, and be prepared to cuss alot, it gets very frustrating.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Having just done mine, if you can get hold of a impact wrench it makes it so much easier.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
my suggestion is find a buddy to work with who has done a spring install on at least 1 car.
If that doesnt work, maybe you can hire a guy from a mechanic shop to help you out on 1 of his days off.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hey I did install springs on my old mazda wasn't too hard it's pretty straight forward still a buddy (even better if he'S a mechanic) and an impact will prevent a lot of swearing, this being said mine was an old car so on the suby there should not be too much rust yet a lot easier to do ;) enjoy

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Cobb instructions for the install are very useful. The only difference is that you can omit the steps where you are cutting the bump stops. This does not need to be done. The rest of the install, besides getting the springs onto the shocks and struts, is a piece of cake. If you've done any work on cars before, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yea its not hard just takes time thats all. if you know how to use a ratchet you can do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
got mine done yesterday.. took 4 or 5 hours.. coudlnt use the spring compressor i had b/c the front springs have so few coils.. went with a slightly more ghetto method i've always been successful with... defintley a simple install though

·
Registered
44 Posts
while the car is still on the ground... take off the top nut holding the strut assembly together.. when you jack up the car, it slowly releases the pressure off the spring... with new springs, you should be able to get the assembly back together by hand for both front and rear....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts