Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there is a discussion / thread related, so I thought I'd start one....

Im up for insurance renewal, and my current insurer has just increased their premiums....surprise surprise ::)

So shopped around a little bit:

Just Cars wanted $1,500 :eek:
Shannons wanted around $1,400

I then got a quote from an old insurer I used, RACV......I was very surprised when I saw the premiuim versus excess costs. So I picked up the phone and called them. Here is what I got quoted:

RACV market value for 2009 wrx sedan - $32,900

$550 excess - Premium is $971 w/windscreen protection

$750 excess - Premium is $921 w/windscreen protection

choice of repairer? - lifetime guarentee on repairs by racv approved repairer, or I can get my own repairer.

mods? - all vic roads approved mods are covered at market value

Was a bit sad when told the market value for my pride and joy was around the $32,900 mark. I guess they do depreciate as soon as you drive them off the showroom floor and for being a few years old now.

A concern I had was with my after market mods........They advised that they would be covered at market value. How can they provide an appraisal of the mods at "market value"? Would they guestimate costs based on depreciation like they would on a vehicle?

Anyway, I thought this was a decent quote, especially given I can choose my repairer or if using an RACV repairer the repairs have a lifetime guarantee :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I sell car finance and insurance for a living so I was really picky with my insurer.

Just got mine from www.thebuzzinsurance.com.au - $600 cheaper than any good insurer I could find (by good I mean Choice of Repairer, Genuine Parts etc). I would never choose someone without those two, friend had to use Just Car due to age and the repairs were absolutely horrible with no recourse. Choosing your own repairer (or a Subaru Athorised Repairer) guarantees they are quality. Can vouch personally thanks to a stupid van nudging my rear quarter a few months ago. Can even do fortnightly payments.....................

Online quoting thing is grouse. Adding my exhaust onto the policy didnt change anything either ;-)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ctoafn...question....

How to I approach my insurance company re Mods. Reason I ask is that is someone rearends me or worse and the insurer finds mods, guess they are going to void insurance? Your thoughts and advice are really welcome.

Will be having the same conversation with my local Scoob Stealership soon too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ctoafn...question....

How to I approach my insurance company re Mods. Reason I ask is that is someone rearends me or worse and the insurer finds mods, guess they are going to void insurance? Your thoughts and advice are really welcome.

Will be having the same conversation with my local Scoob Stealership soon too.
Some insurers dont mind a small mod or two, some dont mind heaps but some will just say no to all of them.

Altho I cant give personal advice, what I did was do an online quote with the same insurance company you are currently with, add the mod and see if the premium changes, the excess change or whether they'll cover it at all. With Buzz, it didnt change anything so I went and did the mods, changed my actual policy and off I went.

If you got rear ended, and they discovered some mods, they would have the right to refuse but more likely reduce the claim. If it was your fault, they'd look at the mods closer, if they in any way contributed to the accident, they could either reduce your claim or if they wanted to be assholes, refuse it.

Small mods like suspension and an exhaust might not draw attention but if the cars has a shopping trolley rear wing, massive turbos hanging off the side of the motor, bodykits, huge wheels, FMIC, change of colour are going to give them an out if they wanted to.

Paying for insurance is paying for piece of mind - if you are comprimising that, its pointless. At the end of the day, dont lie to insurance companys and you'll be fine - Its pointless paying all that money for something that may be useless, spend the extra cash if you need to switch to an insurer that will accept your mods.

And 'stealerships' not a very nice name mate, they are entitled to make money just like any business does to cover costs - and esp the staff. They all work stupid hours to earn their keep, 8am til 6-7pm every day, 5 to 6 days a week and every single damn Saturday. Its a tough job and I think they cop flack way too much on forums like these you know.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts re insurance - I agree with you.

If I offended you with my "stealership" comment - I appologise - i guess this is not the place to discuss my thoughts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts re insurance - I agree with you.

If I offended you with my "stealership" comment - I appologise - i guess this is not the place to discuss my thoughts.
All good mate - My retort looked a bit harsh anyway, early Monday morning and hadnt had my coffee yet ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sell car finance and insurance for a living so I was really picky with my insurer.

Just got mine from www.thebuzzinsurance.com.au - 0 cheaper than any good insurer I could find (by good I mean Choice of Repairer, Genuine Parts etc). I would never choose someone without those two, friend had to use Just Car due to age and the repairs were absolutely horrible with no recourse. Choosing your own repairer (or a Subaru Athorised Repairer) guarantees they are quality. Can vouch personally thanks to a stupid van nudging my rear quarter a few months ago. Can even do fortnightly payments.....................

Online quoting thing is grouse. Adding my exhaust onto the policy didnt change anything either ;-)
Hey mate, thanks for the heads up on thebuzz insurance. Although they are slightly cheaper than my initial quote with RACV, I do have slight concerns over the mods......

Firstly, there is a basic excess, then another $400 excess for mods. thats $1000 for the excess.
Secondly, I listed my wheels at a dollar value, but when it came to my exhaust / suspension mods, they didnt allow for me to put in a dollar value to insure??!! Im concerned these wont be covered in the event I make a claim!

Did you have the option to put in a dollar value when asked about your exhaust mod?

·
Registered
34 Posts

Just got mine from www.thebuzzinsurance.com.au - 0 cheaper than any good insurer I could find (by good I mean Choice of Repairer, Genuine Parts etc). I would never choose someone without those two, friend had to use Just Car due to age and the repairs were absolutely horrible with no recourse. Choosing your own repairer (or a Subaru Athorised Repairer) guarantees they are quality. Can vouch personally thanks to a stupid van nudging my rear quarter a few months ago. Can even do fortnightly payments.....................

Hey mate, thanks for the heads up on thebuzz insurance. Although they are slightly cheaper than my initial quote with RACV, I do have slight concerns over the mods......

Firstly, there is a basic excess, then another 0 excess for mods. thats 00 for the excess.
Secondly, I listed my wheels at a dollar value, but when it came to my exhaust / suspension mods, they didnt allow for me to put in a dollar value to insure??!! Im concerned these wont be covered in the event I make a claim!

Did you have the option to put in a dollar value when asked about your exhaust mod?
My excess didnt change but I only have the exhaust on there for now. $1000 excess isnt to bad considering you get the choice of repairer etc and its only if you make a claim where its your fault or you cannot ID the other party who was at fault.

I doubt any insurer will actually pay you for the mods themselves, its more making sure they know so you reduce the risk they may not pay out any claims you may make - I think the only exception to that is wheels and stereo mods (which are easy to steal items) which is why you can put a price on those items but not on suspensions, exhaust etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Firstly, there is a basic excess, then another 0 excess for mods. thats 00 for the excess.

My excess didnt change but I only have the exhaust on there for now. 00 excess isnt to bad considering you get the choice of repairer etc and its only if you make a claim where its your fault or you cannot ID the other party who was at fault.

I doubt any insurer will actually pay you for the mods themselves, its more making sure they know so you reduce the risk they may not pay out any claims you may make - I think the only exception to that is wheels and stereo mods (which are easy to steal items) which is why you can put a price on those items but not on suspensions, exhaust etc.
I hear ya. RACV offer the same deal, however only charge a basic excess of $550 and cover all mods at market value. They also give you choice of repairer. On that, I think I will proceed with RACV, although they are around $35 dearer.

Thanks for the heads up on the buzz, at least it gives us all more options ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The thing with insurance company's is every single estimate is different. You might have a twin with exactly the same car as you live in one suburb over from you. Insurer A will be best for your suburb and Insurer B may be better for your brother. Each insurer keeps stats differently to each other and calculate different levels of risk for lots of things.

Say insurer A has a bad run of WRX's being in single car accidents or one subrub has a higher number of thefts from vehicles, chance are they will increase the risk the following year. Same goes the other way as it has for WRX's over the years. Insurance for WRX's was friggin insane back in teh day but as the Brandt's went in reducing theft and the demographic of the owners changed, the risks came down and in turn our premiums.

That why it is really important to check with numerous insurers if your circumstances change - but only stupid ignorant people compare on price. You take price into account but its more important you look at the value you get for your money liek Choice of Repairer, Genuine Parts, New for old replacement terms etc etc.

Sure you can go with a cheap insurance cmopany but if their premiums are cheap, chances are any repair work or your market value on replacement will be cheap as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RACV, same stuff as above
1450, 1000 excess plus 400 cos i'm 22,

so pretty damn good for me considering AAMI wanetd 2.2, Just Car 2.7. Commonwealth Bank wanted 4k.... was like do i get a new car every year??.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got my Just Cars Insurance renewal in the mail.

$1181 premium
$1100 excess

Definitely time for a change considering I'm 27 and Rating 1 (and my only offence - drink driving, happened further than 3 years ago).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used their online calculator and it gave me a best premium (when I put the excess to 2100) of 1571...

How did you get such low premium/excess costs MacD?

Seems Just Car is the best for me. All the online estimates were way out of the ball park range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rating 1, 30yo - Claims history of the car makes a big difference. I'd thrown around the idea of a Pignose WRX/STI prior to buying mine new, and they were over a grand to insure. (less than $100 difference between the wrx and sti - which i thought was odd) even though the pignose wrx was half the value.

based on that i'm expecting it might hike a bit in a year or 2 when they start hitting the 2nd hand market

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ah thx, so all those other mugs in 08 sti's that have had crashes have hiked my premium up.

I barely see 08 sti's on the road but! hah

1 - 16 of 16 Posts