Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most major Subaru tuners agree that the stock intake is adequate to power levels in the 400HP range. It also has the following advantages:

• The standard air scoop is mounted high in the engine bay. This makes it resistant to ingress of water. The design of the fender snorkel helps to remove any water that is drawn in by this scoop.
  • Air drawn in is cool, since the air comes from the edge of the engine bay, and at speed, all air will be drawn from outside.
  • The standard system is quiet since the resonator in the fender helps filter out noise from the air flow.
  • The stock ECU is calibrated to work perfectly with the stock intake system.

Here's a good link on Intakes from the Unabomber.

Useful information to add?  PM me and I'll consider adding it.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Most major Subaru tuners agree that the stock intake is adequate to power levels in the 400HP range. It also has the following advantages:

• [li] The standard air scoop is mounted high in the engine bay. This makes it resistant to ingress of water. The design of the fender snorkel helps to remove any water that is drawn in by this scoop. [/li]
    [li] Air drawn in is cool, since the air comes from the edge of the engine bay, and at speed, all air will be drawn from outside. [/li]
    [li] The standard system is quiet since the resonator in the fender helps filter out noise from the air flow. [/li]
    [li]The stock ECU is calibrated to work perfectly with the stock intake system.[/li]

Here's a good link on Intakes from the Unabomber.

Useful information to add? PM me and I'll consider adding it.

Neither of the two items I've bolded apply to 08+ WRXs. There is no snorkus any longer. Nor does our intake look like the unit in the picture.

I agree in general with what you've posted and I'm sorry to bring the thread back from the dead. But it's being used as a resource and resources should have accurate information.

Here's the factory intake below:

·
Registered
900 Posts
You replied to a thread thats almost 4 years old.....+1 to you sir :-_-:
It's been referred to as a source of information, and thus should be corrected.
Agreed. unibombers GD info doesn't have all that much place on this forum.
And I hate the argument "it's good for up to 400hp so you have no need to change it blow that" what a bunch a hooey. You can get 400hp out the factory catback too, that doesn't mean you shouldn't change it or that it won't help in mild build situations well under 400hp.

·
Registered
129 Posts
so is there any solid proof that you do get gains from intakes? I've been debating this topic with some people on another forum. I can't really find any dynos aside from cobb's and my own virtual dyno which I'm not sure if I trust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts