Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are some good affordable intake kits

this would probably nee my first mod on the wrx
doing this cus i want to hear the turbo spool up instead of installing a bov to hear it.
i've read that a blow off valve isn't necessary for a stock turbo and would actually lose power

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
what are some good affordable intake kits

this would probably nee my first mod on the wrx
doing this cus i want to hear the turbo spool up instead of installing a bov to hear it.
i've read that a blow off valve isn't necessary for a stock turbo and would actually lose power
Are you looking for a Cold-Air? Short ram? There are advantages and disadvantages to each.
Cold-air gives the most performance. Short-ram more sounds but a bit less perforamnce given certain situations (heat soak)
Drop in w/o snorkel in cleanest and requires no-tune. Custom box, gives good sound and a bit less heat soak issues, but less power also.......
Narrow it down a bit and we may be able to narrow down you list as well. :)

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
there are a bunch of posts floating around about the different types and who makes them, alot with reviews. try searching using the search feature. heres a few keywords to try using: cold-air, intake, short ram, and cold air. I wrote up a do it your self some time ago regarding the AP cold air.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i've decided i don't really need an intake

just want to change the filter now
would u guys suggest a k&n or Perrin air filter

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
i've decided i don't really need an intake

just want to change the filter now
would u guys suggest a k&n or Perrin air filter
Blitz for the lack of an oil element. :)
the other 2 have alot of oil that may mess up the MAF.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I too have had a K&N since the car was new back in October. I haven't had any issues with the MAF getting oil on it. Runs great with the K&N in mine.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I ordered a Perrin last week. Should have arrived yesterday but apparently my address is the wrong one according to FedEX and UPS/DHL both had no problems finding it ???.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I ordered a Perrin last week. Should have arrived yesterday but apparently my address is the wrong one according to FedEX and UPS/DHL both had no problems finding it ???.
Weird, hope you get it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
oil on the MAF is a myth.

unless you clean the filter and leave it SOAKED.... it should be fine.

just don't over-oil the filter. read the instructions: you're not supposed to spray that much on it.

I have had a K&N on my car since the week I bought it with zero problems.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
oil on the MAF is a myth.
unless you clean the filter and leave it SOAKED.... it should be fine.
just don't over-oil the filter. read the instructions: you're not supposed to spray that much on it.
I have had a K&N on my car since the week I bought it with zero problems.
Why would you take the risk though?
There have been many instances where a CEL has been thrown from oil covering the MAF.
You stated a preventative measure that people should take if an oiled filter is used.
The K&N one you are running is not oiled to a large degree but there are instances where the QC check passes through and one is too oiled for usage.
The Perrin one for instance is actually soaked in oil then put in a bag prior to shipment for both the drop-in and the open pod.
Not only that, but there have been instances where the dealer voids the warranty based on finding an oiled filter.

Bottom line: Just be careful

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i've had oiled filters for 6 years and haven't had a single problem (k&n). they're not hard to oil.
+1, I'm using a K&N panel filter on my fiancee's car and everything is fine there.... however, I'm very careful w/ oiling. I had a Civic w/ an AEM intake before they went to dry-flow media. Never had a problem with that either. My cousin in his S2K switched from paper to K&N (both are cone shaped). He cleaned it once, oiled it, over oiled, his car doesnt have a MAF, removed the K&N filter.
A lot of the time oily MAF is due to over oiling. The instructions are clear on the K&N filter recharger kit. I imagine some ppl make sure ALL the spots are red w/ oil, then it gets to the point where it just starts dripping off the filter.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Got the filter in today and it was pretty soaked but it seemed fine when I took it out of the bag it self. Dropped it in and did a quick lap with it. Hopefully all goes well down the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts