Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is a duplicate I apologize. I say in a link to another site where they were showing the 'easy removal' of the front bumper, that the poster had removed the intake silencer from his STi. Has anyone here done this? Other than increasing intake noise, could it hurt anything?

It seems like another source of cold air into the stock air box.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
what silencer? the air box is just quite
The STi and NA Imprezas have them. For resonance.
Sounds nicer, no real performance gain though. Maybe slight hp and throttle response but mainly for audio.
For the 08+ there is no need to remove the bumper. if you have one, it is attached to the airbox and is in the fender well. Just dismantle the airbox out 1 hose clamp and a couple 10mm bolts and pull the box out. It is a white canister. Remove the resonator and replace the air box.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From the pictures I saw it also looked as if you could take it out the bottom, but I'm not positive.

Better sound, no detriment, sounds like a free upgrade!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
You can remove it by removing the bumper or through the fender, however, the previous method above is much easier as you do everything without laying on the ground and removing more clips and possibly mis alligning or warping the bumper.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
DUDE if ur driving an 08 WRX u dont need to remove it cuz we dont have it i was doing the same and the sti has 1 but the wrx does not what u can do is change ur intake box il post pix of it when i get of work we have a round thing on the bottem of our intake box where the silencer would connect to but its just closed off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts