Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried my car with the front airbox piping removed today.it seems a little more responsive off the line.also is a little louder.anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did the same thing. While I am saving up to get a CAI, I currently have a K&N panel filter. I removed the snorkel that leads air from the front of the car to the airbox. It seems to help a little. Slight change in sound (for the better) and unless it is just my imagination, throttle response has gotten slightly snappier.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would it be good to cut the opening on the front of the airbox bigger to simulate an intake?just curious.i would get an intake but i dont want to buy an accessport.can a intake be installed without a tune?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
would it be good to cut the opening on the front of the airbox bigger to simulate an intake?just curious.i would get an intake but i dont want to buy an accessport.can a intake be installed without a tune?
Accessport doesnt help when getting an intake unless you go and use the Accessport to get a protune. Yes, you can get some intakes and not worry about tuning but 08's are different from other years so whether there will be harm done due to intake without a tune is unknown.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update to the intake story. i took it all apart today.i cut out the front half of the plastic housing before the air filter.put it back together.no engine lights.went for a ride.it sounds like a different car!!you can hear the turbo and blow off valve.has a more aggressive sound too.cost me nothing.already have a avo panel filter installed.good easy free alternative to a short ram.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
pics?

·
Registered
345 Posts
wow guys intakes arnt' that expensive not tryin to be an ass or anything but were suppose the guys who dont cut corners cause we spent money on our cars not 3000 dollar cars!! but hey its your car do what you want with it and goodluck hopefully everything turns out good with these things.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not the money thing.i dont wanna have to tune the car with an aftermarket intake.if i dont like it ill buy one.it works and the stock filter location is in place.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
ehhhh...as long as you like it...looks janky to me. Id rathe spend a bit of money and have an intake that looks good...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
its not the money thing.i dont wanna have to tune the car with an aftermarket intake.if i dont like it ill buy one.it works and the stock filter location is in place.
running your car like this is going to freak out your ecu and can run super lean because of it.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why would it freak the ecu out the damn stock box is still there.i just tried it for the hell of it.i cant see anything happening by doing this.you would have a bigger problem with an aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how can rain and snow get in there?its behind the headlight in the engine bay.do you think a aftermarket cai cone filter in the fender is any better?whatever the comments i though it was a good cheap mod for sound if nothing else.

·
Registered
629 Posts
why would it freak the ecu out the damn stock box is still there.i just tried it for the hell of it.i cant see anything happening by doing this.you would have a bigger problem with an aftermarket intake.
Yes, you would have a slight problem with an after market intake but at the same rate doing what you did to the stock intake in essence like an after market intake because you are allowing more air to flow in as apposed to the stock box's small inlet........to each is own; you make the payment, you do what you want. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, you would have a slight problem with an after market intake but at the same rate doing what you did to the stock intake in essence like an after market intake because you are allowing more air to flow in as apposed to the stock box's small inlet........to each is own; you make the payment, you do what you want. :)
The problem with aftermarket intakes is the shape and diameter of the piping in front of, at and behind the MAF. Any changes to the way the air flows through the pipe (due to different bends or larger piping) and the MAF reads a completely different cross-section of the incoming air. The air will flow through the pipe like water flows through a river.. there are fast currents and slow eddies depending on where the air is in relation to the bends. Lets say the factory intake puts the MAF sensor into one of the fast currents, but the aftermarket intake places it in an eddy. The MAF will see less air than is actually entering the engine, you'll run lean and "kaboom"!

Removing the front half of the factory airbox will have no effect on the MAF reading. The piping starts behind the filter.. as long as the piping is concerned, there's a mass of stagnant air beyond the filter.

It will cause your intake to pull in more hot air from the engine bay rather than pulling from the OEM cold air intake. I'd recommend at least putting the funnel back in place (you'll need to rig up something to prop up the rear of the funnel.. strap metal from the local hardware store should do) so that it can feed the intake some nice cool outside air while the car is moving.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
beaverboy thanks for the good write up.i did put the ram scoop back in.i was just tring to free up some sound which it did.i dont wanna harm the car.thanks again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts