Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone backed into my car the other week and messed up my hood. I have a non-turbo Impreza. To get my hood fixed was $200 cheaper than to get the WRX hood painted and installed, so I went ahead and got the WRX hood to make it look better. So, I was thinkiing about making my own intake and have it sitting right at the scoop, just like where the breather would be for the turbo. Just come right out the manifold and up some. Anyone have any ideas that might help? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
??? I have seen pictures of ppl w/ that kind of set up a couple years back, but I'm not sure how that affects MAF readings.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I would not recommend that cause if you get a good rain and your intake is right there you might have issues there, plus it would play some issues with the MAF.

·
Registered
519 Posts
And another thing, the hood scoop is for the intercooler not the breather. The intake for the turbo model sucks in from the front of the grill. That being said I have seen some older N/A Imprezas that have that arrangement. I never took a close look to see how it was done.

Seth

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would not recommend that cause if you get a good rain and your intake is right there you might have issues there, plus it would play some issues with the MAF.
Agreed!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'd say it will suck on rain and dust a lot, maf might hate you a lot..altough it depends on how you build it, sounds like a sweet project :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thats a very interesting project of you're able to do it!

Anyway, there will be a problem with rain, there will not be a problem with the MAP sensor, here's why.

Problems with the map sensor will happen if it was placed wrongly, relative to the airintake piping. Placing the intakes right at the scoop, with the map sensor placed nicely as it should in the pipes, will not be a problem, since it measures air pressure (in this case air volume. It'll simply detect more volume).

But the problem with a custom intake, how can u be sure whether the MAP is sitting at where it should be. That can be fixed with a good tuner, that can "reteach" the MAP sensor information.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I do know that on a Mx-3 wich as a MAF the attutiude is important but a MAP (wich I do not know what I stands for (Mass and air pressure???) ) I'll take pehon word for it :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts