Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i test drove the car ive found way to quiet, but it was the sedan n the salesman told me the wagon will be louder from the inside.. im getting it tomorow so i wish so

anyway, lets say i change my exhaust, will i void my warranty, i understand if i lets say change the muffler that the muffler is not longer warranty since i dont have it anymore.. but what about the rest ?

what can actualy void the warranty ?

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Taken from http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803106

Well. actually it can, but for very few reasons:

1. The odometer cannot be verified:
If there is evidence the odometer has been messed with or disconnected at some point, SOA can void your warranty. This is because if your warranty mileage cannot be proven. You could have 60,000 miles on your car and if the odometer says 23,000, technically you would be out of warranty. THIS HAS TO BE PROVEN

2. Vehicle has been in a major accident and repaired:
If your vehicle has been in a major accident, most likely there will be additional problems down the road. SOA cannot be held responsible for something related to an accident. Most vehicles that have warranties voided for this reason have a salvage title issued by the issurance company.
THIS HAS TO BE PROVEN

3. Your vehicle has a salvage title
If your vehicle has a salvage title it is because it was in a major accident or under water. SOA cannot be held responsible for something related to water or accident damage. THIS HAS TO BE PROVEN

There may be a few other reasons, but these are the most popular. Most have to do with accident or odometer fraud.

Alot of people think that because their car is modified or "abused" that the service advisor, the dealership or SOA can void their warranty. They cannot!! Most people that go to the dealer and have an issue with something not being covered STILL HAVE A WARRANTY. Their warranty has not been voided, their warranty claim has been denied. There is a difference.

For example, if you have a problem with your transmission and the dealership or SOA determines it will not be covered under warranty, they are still under obligation to fix your window regulator if it breaks, as long as the window regulator was not damaged due to outside influences.

If you modify and/or abuse your car, that is not reason for your warranty to be voided. IT HAS TO BE PROVEN that the modification and/or abuse caused the defect. And even then your warranty is not voided, the warranty claim was just denied. Other things on your vehicle not affected by the modification and/or abuse are still covered.

Most people think that because something was not covered under warranty that their warranty is automatically voided. They don't understand that just that claim was denied.

If you are ever told that your warranty is "voided", make sure they are saying the ENTIRE warranty is voided, and not that the warranty claim was denied. If they say that the warranty is voided, get it in writing and call SOA. Most likely it is just the claim that was denied.

It is also possible to get just portions of your warranty voided. For instance, if you have had your car painted because of scratches or you change the color, then only your paint warranty could be voided. The paint is no longer original so SOA is under no obligation to cover it. It is now the responsiblity of whomever painted it.

Sorry for the long rant, it just makes me mad when people slam dealerships and SOA for "voiding" warranties, when in all acutallity, it is not.

CLIFF NOTES: Your warranty can only be voided for few reasons. Most of the time it is just your warranty claim that has been denied. The rest of your warranty remains in effect

Hopefully that helps :)

Edit: Forgot link

·
Registered
273 Posts
pretty much you can find all parts avaliable at Subaru Performance SPT.COM there you can find everything. but for the most if you replace it with a subaru part your good some muffler carry there own warrenty some dont so you just gotta be aware of what you are getting.

·
Registered
498 Posts
In a word...No

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, some dealers are mod friendly, some aren't. Some won't replace your transmission if it dies and you have an aftermarket intake for example. Some will honor your warranty as long as they install the part or "approve" it.

The dealership I bought my first subaru from actually sold aftermarket parts out of their OEM parts department, so if you bought it from them, they warranteed it.

So...: makes friends in the service department and ask questions. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
The whole thing with voiding warranties is that you have to be able to reasonably conclude that the after market modification caused whatever issue you are claiming under warrantee. Like just because you have a new muffler that would have nothing to do with your transmission failing...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The whole thing with voiding warranties is that you have to be able to reasonably conclude that the after market modification caused whatever issue you are claiming under warrantee. Like just because you have a new muffler that would have nothing to do with your transmission failing...
That's absolutely true, but some shady dealerships simply deny a claim automatically. Many times people have had to go to higher-ups than just an individual dealership to get claims listened to...or simply gone to a better dealership.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's absolutely true, but some shady dealerships simply deny a claim automatically. Many times people have had to go to higher-ups than just an individual dealership to get claims listened to...or simply gone to a better dealership.
True!

·
Registered
243 Posts
well saturday i have to go to the dealership so i plan to get to know the parts department.... wether they like it or not. then i can ask my silly questions about aftermarket parts. although the day i bought my car i say like half the mechanics and parts crew drove nicely tuned '02-'06 so maybe they are cool. the employees parking spot looked like a mini car show! ;D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Being a Subaru Owner and modder since '02, I feel I have some expirience on this. Early on, Subaru was very much against modding of any kind. It got to the point in '03 where people would take off their license plates at autocrosses so the local dealer couldn't get the numbers. When I went in for a clutch shudder and synchoproblem in my wife's car, they sat me down and showed me pictures of destroyed transmissions telling me that if mine looked like that, I would have to pay for it. I even had to sign a paper stating that. Since 2004, things have changed. One local dealership is a sponsor of our club, SOA has put on a couple of meetings and a Subaru only autocross. We get, as a club, 10% discount on labor and they will match online prices for parts. I believe that if your claim is legitimate, even if a local deaaler say different, you can go to a regional rep and they will take care of it. The biggest thing is like was said before, make freinds with the dealership and be honest with your claims.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Being a Subaru Owner and modder since '02, I feel I have some expirience on this. Early on, Subaru was very much against modding of any kind. It got to the point in '03 where people would take off their license plates at autocrosses so the local dealer couldn't get the numbers. When I went in for a clutch shudder and synchoproblem in my wife's car, they sat me down and showed me pictures of destroyed transmissions telling me that if mine looked like that, I would have to pay for it. I even had to sign a paper stating that. Since 2004, things have changed. One local dealership is a sponsor of our club, SOA has put on a couple of meetings and a Subaru only autocross. We get, as a club, 10% discount on labor and they will match online prices for parts. I believe that if your claim is legitimate, even if a local deaaler say different, you can go to a regional rep and they will take care of it. The biggest thing is like was said before, make freinds with the dealership and be honest with your claims.
Wow, never heard of Subaru doing that, Mitsu on the hand has many well documented cases of profiling drivers at races. The real reason I'm responding however is to mention that Subaru used to buy new WRX owners a 1 one year membership into SCCA no?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wow, never heard of Subaru doing that, Mitsu on the hand has many well documented cases of profiling drivers at races. The real reason I'm responding however is to mention that Subaru used to buy new WRX owners a 1 one year membership into SCCA no?
The profiling might have been a local thing. Yea, the 2002/2003 WRX did come with a free years membership in the SCCA. I admit it was a little weird. Like I said, now they seem to be embracing the enthusiast, somewhat. They won't and shouldn't have to cover for someone else's mistakes or bad judgement though. At the last Subaru sponsored meet in Indy we had well over 60 cars. There was a regional rep there that told me we apppeared more active than many state organizations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts