Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
i'm pretty sure all new cars are required to have tpms sensors
I believe all cars sold new in the US in 2008 had to have TPMS on them. Our friends to the north however, (IIRC) do not have them as they aren't (yet) required by Canadian law.

joneSi

·
Registered
298 Posts
it's on the dash. it's only a warning light, so it comes on when there's a "problem" (though some of them are pretty stupid, my nissan came on at 32 psi but the rear tires ran best at 30-32, so it was always on..).

here's what it looks like:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
your right no canadian-spec impreza are equiped with it... thankfully

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tjat friggin light popped up today while driving.

i guess i was down a psi or two..
so i pumped it up. now sensor light off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So....there has got to be a way to get rid of that stupid light. I have aftermarket wheels and tires, and Subaru told me that u cant use the sensors with other tires and that there is no way to turn the light off. If anyone finds out...let me no :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
So....there has got to be a way to get rid of that stupid light. I have aftermarket wheels and tires, and Subaru told me that u cant use the sensors with other tires and that there is no way to turn the light off. If anyone finds out...let me no :)
pull the bulb or cut the wire ;) there might be a way to disable it via playing with the ecu, but i don't really know (like with a lot of ecus you can disable CEL codes, this may be similar)

subaru was wrong when they told you that. tpms sensors work in pretty much any wheel and tire (and are required by law in fact. so if you go with aftermarket wheels and tires, you technically have to get tpms sensors. not that anyone is going to check.. i don't have them)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My subaru def doesn't have tmps... at least i don't think so... don't TPMS usually come with the steel value stems not the rubber ones???

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I have a TPMS that needs to be installed still. I'm waiting till I put winter's on to get it put on then I have to run over to subaru and pay them to make it match my car and yadda yadda. It's just a way for them to make more money IMO. I wish I didn't need them because whats so hard about carrying a tool to check pressure in the door of your car?

·
Registered
954 Posts
ok everyone that wants to run tpms in after market wheels. . . . .what i did was order 4 tpms rubber valve stems from subaru, it was like $20 or something. than you can remove the tpms sensor from the old wheel/tire w/o actually taking the tire off. just break the bead and push the tire down, than take the sensor off and put it on your new wheels with your new valve stems. it takes about 10 minutes to get all 4 tpms sensors off and its easy change if you want to run stock wheels in the winter or something. and since you running your tpms sensors, you dont have to go to the dealer and get them reset

·
Registered
230 Posts
Do you have the part number for the rubber valve stems?

·
Registered
954 Posts
not on hand, just call subaru and tell them you have a 2008 impreza and need the tpms rubber valve stems

·
Registered
298 Posts
My subaru def doesn't have tmps... at least i don't think so... don't TPMS usually come with the steel value stems not the rubber ones???
tpms can be used with rubber or metal valve stems, doesn't matter. all 2008 cars in america are required by law to have tpms sensors.

Do you have the part number for the rubber valve stems?
you can use any normal rubber valve stem. any shop that can mount tires will have a slew of rubber valve stems.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wait so since I got wheels. My tpms in in the stock wheel/steelie right?
How do I remove the sensor without taking the tire off ?
I now need rubber or metal valve stems?
All this is pretty new to me haha

·
Registered
298 Posts
well, you don't need to have sensors in your new wheels, though they're technically required by law.. i don't have them in mine because i check my pressures frequently so it's just a big waste of money for me. i think it's possible to remove/mount the tpms without fully removing the tire, but it's probably a pain (haven't done it personally). you may be able to completely deflate the tire and un-bead it and push it back to pull off the sensor. you should be able to use it with any normal valve stem, metal or rubber.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts