Subaru WRX Forums banner

Is there anything I should know before changing my oil????

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bOLsAK3 
#1 ·
Does my Ru have some sort of special filter of plug or any of that non since that I should know about before I go ahead and change my own oil? Can I just cruise on up to my auto parts store and just grab filter and oil and be OK?

#4 ·
make sure the oil is warm (but not hot)
make sure you have all the right tools

make sure you replace the washer on the drain plug (it's a CRUSH WASHER which means ONE USE ONLY)

don't over-tighten the filter

put some oil in the filter and around the rim of it (the part that contacts the car) before you install it -- this will make sure you don't starve the engine when you start it for the first time AND will make up for that extra bit of oil you'll be missing if you only fill up to the specified oil amount listed in the manual

good luck!

#5 ·
I've been told you have to use genuine Subaru oil filters to keep your warranty valid.

I always got my oil changes at the dealership so I don’t know for sure. But I’m finding out today because I can’t stand the service dept. at my dealership and am doing my own oil changes from now on.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com always has good prices on filters.

#6 ·
not true about the oil filters. they could blame it for any sort of engine failure AND the OEM ones are cheap and work pretty well, but they can't void your warranty just by seeing one.

keep in mind they can blame anything BUT they also have to PROVE it's what caused the problem in question. they can't just say "oh, different filter, warranty void!"

but like I said, the OE filters are cheap and work great. no reason to buy anything special unless you just don't want to drive up to the dealer. if you're going to get something special I'd recommend the K&N oil filters because they have a bolt welded to the end that makes it easier to remove them.

I also recommend Amsoil full-synthetic (0w30 should work fine)

#7 ·
Read your owner's manual carefully before you change the oil and oil filter so that you understand every step of the procedure. I recommend you pickup a Subaru OEM oil filter from your local dealership as it should include the new crush washer for the drain plug. For every oil and filter change, you have to replace the washer on the drain plug. Here are some things you will need:

-Ramps to get the car up in the air (such as Blitz Rhino Ramps), or jack stands, or both.
-1 or 2 drain pans.
-Oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter.
-Torque wrench to remove the drain plug.
-Socket/ratchet wrench set.
-Replacement oil filter and crush washer/crush ring.
-4.2 quarts of 5W-30 conventional or synthetic (or synthetic blend) motor oil.
-Rubber or latex gloves to protect your hands when the hot oil flows out.

Here are third-party oil filters which fit our cars:
-Bosch 3300
-K&N HP-1008
-Mobil 1 M-108
-Fram PH6607

If you are going to use an aftemrarket oil filter, then you are going to need to purchase the crush washer separately. Don't quote me on this, but I am PRETTY sure that our crush washer size is M20.

I intend to do a full DIY with pictures and video for the 08 WRX when it comes time for my next oil change (which is 2,000 miles from now, sorry!).

#10 ·
Read your owner's manual carefully before you change the oil and oil filter so that you understand every step of the procedure. I recommend you pickup Subaru OEM oil filter from your local dealership as it will include the new crush washer for the drain plug. For every oil and filter change, you have to replace the washer on the drain plug. Here are some things you will need:

-Ramps to get the car up in the air (such as Blitz Rhino Ramps) or a jack stand.
-1 or 2 drain pans.
-Oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter.
-Torque wrench to remove the drain plug.
-Socket/ratchet wrench set and a torque wrench.
-Replacement oil filter and crush washer/crush ring.
-Replacement oil filter.
-4.2 quarts of 5W-30 conventional or synthetic (or synthetic blend) motor oil.

Here are third-party oil filters which fit our cars:
-Bosch 3300
-K&N HP-1008
-Mobil 1 M-108
-Fram PH6607

If you are going to use an aftemrarket oil filter, then you are going to need to purchase the crush washer separately. Don't quote me on this, but I am PRETTY sure that our crush washer size is M20.

I intend to do a full DIY with pictures and video for the 08 WRX when it comes time for my next oil change (which is 2,000 miles from now, sorry!).

Great info! I think that I'm one of two who've actually given you good karma :D ! (I've already given you 1 from another helpful bit of info)

#9 ·
It is in fact size M20. I ran a search on an 06 Subaru WRX EJ255 engine (our motor) and it came up with size M20, same as the 08 WRX. I compared it with my extra WRX crush rings and they were the same measurements, as follows:

Type: Crush
Size: 3/4"SO, 13/16", M20
Inside Diameter: 0.791"/20.09mm
Outside Diameter: 1.018"/25.86mm
Thickness: 0.087/2.21mm
Brand: Dorman - AutoGrade - Oil-Tite!

Application Notes:
M20-1.50

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.