Subaru WRX Forums banner

It's cold, it's dark, and all I see is a red tach.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  wrxlover83 
#1 ·
See less See more
#7 ·
I've cut some low 5s 0-60s by pumping the throttle around 3,000rpm for a few seconds (gets the turbo spooling a little), then releasing the clutch until I reach the engagement point (still pumping the throttle) at which point I floor it and let the clutch up slow enough to keep the revs at 3,000 rpm (which is actually pretty quick). It will take off like a rocket. Shift near redline in 1st gear. Don't slam it into 2nd, nor drop the clutch into 2nd, nor power shift it.. this (along with sidestepping the clutch from a launch) is how WRX's got the glass transmission rep. Place it deliberately into 2nd and release the clutch quickly but, again deliberately. At most you should feel the seat shove you firmly in the back (the nose should lift up and stay there).. you should never feel the car jerk on shifts (IE: the nose lifts up and then comes back down). ;) Then just hold 2nd gear until you reach 60 right before redline. Even with a slow shift, I've had no problem cutting a 5.7s run... so, again, work on the launch portion and take it easy on the shifts... destroying your transmission isn't worth the 0-60 bragging rights.

In a 1/4mi or even 1/8mi run where you'll be accelerating into 3rd gear, shift close to 5k rpm after 1st gear. Your 0-60mph will suffer, but your speed down the 1/4 will be much better.

One more thing.. drive around for a few minutes before attempting another launch. Your clutch cannot handle back to back launches. Let it cool in between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.