Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for the optimal place to put my oil cooler.

Here in Singapore, where temperature averages at 33 degrees celcius, we see the problem of high oil temperature more often than people in North america for example.

I've tried 3 positions for the oil cooler and i'm glad to say, i've found the ideal place. Heres the short report on my "research"

No oil cooler. The control.
I've driven around without an oil cooler for a while (long time ago) and my oil temperature at the junction generally averages at 89 degrees while on the highway it goes up to 95 degrees.

Position 1. Infront of the radiator, just behind the front grill.
As advertised, installing an oil cooler did reduce the temperature of my car. my car works at about 85 degrees at the junction and on the highway at 92 degrees. Works fine but i saw the water temperature was running 1-2 degrees higher. However at the track, cooling wasn't satisfactory. I'm looking at the temperature going over 130 degrees within 1 1/2 laps.

Position 2. Removing the fog light, placing the oil cooler behind the resultant hole (and increasing the size of the hole by cutting away the bumper)
For some reason, the oilcooler doesn't seem to work anymore. We're looking at temperatures just like i'm not having an oil cooler. However on the track where its high speed, we don't go over 130 degrees that often. I could go round and round the track and simply cooling the temperature to 110 by doing a cool down lap (half throttle while accelerating out of corners vs full throttle). Water temperature was observed to be much better than position 1.

Position 3. At the scoop.
I've removed my TMIC a while back, and i decided to give it a try, placing the oil cooler right at the scoop. Thanks to the dudes at RACEWORKS, they were able to place the oilcooler perfectly at where the scoop funnel ends up.
The results were astonishing. I was driving down the highway at 75 degrees celcius. I left the car at idle for 1/2 hour to test the stationary cooling capability and it quickly went to 92 degrees and stayed there. I started driving it down the road, and amazingly, within a 600m distance of 80km/h, the temperature went down to 82 degrees celcius. Although oil temperature quickly heats up when stationary (possibly due to rising heat from the engine and turbo), when moving, the car cools extremely quickly and to a very very low temperature.

Hope this helps for those wanting to install the oil cooler!

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's great. I always thought about doing that when I move to FMIC, but happy to see someone doing it already.
Keep us updated, and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
seems like a perfect fit... make the stock intercooler look so small when you see a oil cooler filling the spot

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
which oil cooler is that pehon? Also, do you think it would cause any problems if installed on top of a TMIC? I'd like to get an oil cooler at some point, but I don't want a FMIC, and I want to put the cooler somewhere that it will maximize the benefit and still allow for clean hose routing.

·
Registered
382 Posts
which oil cooler is that pehon? Also, do you think it would cause any problems if installed on top of a TMIC? I'd like to get an oil cooler at some point, but I don't want a FMIC, and I want to put the cooler somewhere that it will maximize the benefit and still allow for clean hose routing.
You wouldn't want to put an oil cooler on top of the TMIC, no. You would just be driving the heat into your intercooler.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You wouldn't want to put an oil cooler on top of the TMIC, no. You would just be driving the heat into your intercooler.
somewhat, though the oil cooler won't get NEARLY as hot as the intercooler will, so any heat that the air flowing through the oil cooler picks up will still be considerably less than what the intercooler will see internally and as such will still provide cooling. My main concern, however, was basically just how much of what the intercooler does is more for margin of safety than for actual directly functional reasons. Another alternative would be mounting the oil cooler still in the scoop, but beside the intercooler. Our scoops are crazy-wide. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My oil cooler is a very basic oil cooler, w/o a brand.

I don't think we should put the oil cooler infront of the TMIC. It really defeats the purpose of moving it away from the radiator to infront of the TMIC.

Another thing i found out is that the oil cooler (including the Intercoolers) work i would say 100% better without any obstruction behind it, allowing good airflow thru the cooler fins. Putting the oil cooler infront of the TMIC goes against that and i would say may cause negative result for both coolers.

But i do think if you're able to position the oil cooler next to the TMIC, it should work.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah, if you've gone FMIC, it makes a lot of sense to use the scoop for an oil cooler. There's a guy on NASIOC from Hong Kong who is replacing pretty much anything he can on his car with custom made (by himself) carbon fiber panels and such. But he also did the top mount oil cooler. That's the first time and I realized "Wow, that's a really great idea."

I mean, you've already got the scoop there. Might as well direct the hair somewhere, right?

Also, pehon - your car looks awesome.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
My oil cooler is a very basic oil cooler, w/o a brand.

I don't think we should put the oil cooler infront of the TMIC. It really defeats the purpose of moving it away from the radiator to infront of the TMIC.

Another thing i found out is that the oil cooler (including the Intercoolers) work i would say 100% better without any obstruction behind it, allowing good airflow thru the cooler fins. Putting the oil cooler infront of the TMIC goes against that and i would say may cause negative result for both coolers.

But i do think if you're able to position the oil cooler next to the TMIC, it should work.
Is there any real benefit to going name brand rather than just getting a universal cooler? Harman motive has an oil cooler kit for our cars, though universal ones are pretty easy to come by as well. The only reason I'd WANT to go with a universal one is that you can get them in relatively compact sizes.

When you had your oil cooler in front of your radiator, did you notice any rise in any non-oil temps?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually yes, a brand name oilcooler is much more efficient compared to a non brand name one. However if you're able to find a no-brand oil cooler with the exact same design as a brand name oil cooler, than i'm sure it'll work just as fine (though i haven't found 1 yet). I think an oilcooler will work best when its thick, and have a dense collection of cooling fins.

Also, pehon - your car looks awesome.
Thanks dude!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts