Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am having a hard time finding a good spot for using jack stands on my car. Where do you guys put your jack stands on your 08 WRX? Using the locations specified in the owners manual for the included jack seem to be working okay, but I noticed that the rails are sometimes bending in the locations that I place the jack stands.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The jack stand locations are 1/4" pieces of metal that should be perpendicular to the floor...they are about 4 inches inside the side of the car. The stand should be placed between the two notches in the metal.

I've had subarus (and my 08) for a lengthy period of time on them with no bending problems.

The "frame rails" (if we are talking about the same thing) look beefier, but they WILL bend because they are not meant to support jackstands.

Are you placing the stands in the correct place and they are still bending?

·
Registered
298 Posts
also, you typically shouldn't jack the car up at the places where the jack stands go, that can bend them too (i'm talking about a floor jack, the scissor jack was designed to be used there).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owners manual states the specific location where the frame rails are that you can use the included jack (behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels). Unfortunately, when I put my car up on ramps and I want to jack up the front of the car a little higher temporarily, the ramps block the location to put my hydraulic floor jack and jack it up higher.

·
Registered
282 Posts
IMO if you go up on ramps and then jack higher from there, you're looking at possible problems. The suspension shifts when you raise it and getting back onto the ramps for the trip back down can be tricky. I tend to use cedar (or other soft wood) 2x4's (of correct length) to absorb some of the contact between the floor jack and the under side of the car. That's proven to prevent the bending for me by also distributing some of the stress/load between the jack and the car.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
IMO if you go up on ramps and then jack higher from there, you're looking at possible problems. The suspension shifts when you raise it and getting back onto the ramps for the trip back down can be tricky. I tend to use cedar (or other soft wood) 2x4's (of correct length) to absorb some of the contact between the floor jack and the under side of the car. That's proven to prevent the bending for me by also distributing some of the stress/load between the jack and the car.
I've also seen using wood to distribute the load...just be careful that that wood doesn't shift when raising or lowering. It does work though, but some extra caution is warranted.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the posts, guys. I purchased the online techinfo service manual crap for 3 days' worth and I'm printing out a bunch of stuff. Subaru tells you to use those jack points as shown in the manual but when using jack stands or a hydraulic floor jack, you should use rail/pinch adapters.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The owners manual states the specific location where the frame rails are that you can use the included jack (behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels). Unfortunately, when I put my car up on ramps and I want to jack up the front of the car a little higher temporarily, the ramps block the location to put my hydraulic floor jack and jack it up higher.
There is a center jack point front and rear. I always use those to jack the car up, then use jack stands at the perimeter 'jack' points. The front one is located directly behind the oil pan.. it's the plate that covers the front crossmember. The rear diff is the rear jack point. The front one is difficult to get to unless you've got a very long low profile floor jack, or drive the car up on some sort of low ramps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Beaverboy. You feel comfy using the rear diff as a lift point? If you asked me to lift up one of my ATV's that way, I would say no problem because it has this ridiculous diff protector underneath. But the WRX just has the diff exposed and I don't know how safe that is for the differential.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i use the rear diff as well to jack the subie up. on my nissan, it's in the owners manual that the rear diff is the jack point and it's not protected or anything (not to say it's necessarily the same for the subie)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Over the years ive had several vehicles that had the same jack points as the Subie ...and without fail if they were used within a few years rust developed or the rails were bent ...I use a 6'' pc of composite decking on top of jack and jack stands and the subie has a nice thick brackets in frt of rear wheels on both sides ( maybe a tie down for shipping?) its just inboard of that spot welded seam they want you to jack from. As far as the frt goes I put my stands under the main unibody frame rails.. I went to the dlr and asked about my locations and the service manager thought those locations were fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Checkout where Lachutes puts lift arms, The rear brackets I refered to are just in front of the rear lift arms Hope this helps. Be safe!!

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Over the years ive had several vehicles that had the same jack points as the Subie ...and without fail if they were used within a few years rust developed or the rails were bent ...I use a 6'' pc of composite decking on top of jack and jack stands and the subie has a nice thick brackets in frt of rear wheels on both sides ( maybe a tie down for shipping?) its just inboard of that spot welded seam they want you to jack from. As far as the frt goes I put my stands under the main unibody frame rails.. I went to the dlr and asked about my locations and the service manager thought those locations were fine.
This is why I always use the front and rear center jacking points, and place my jackstands on the plates just inboard of the seam. I never lift on the seam without the scissor jack, because it has a slot made to keep pressure off the seam. The seam itself was never meant to hold the weight of the vehicle.

Yeah, those tie-downs are nice. I haven't jacked with them, yet.. but I did bust my knuckles on one yesterday while installing the Whiteline rear subframe inserts. Yowza.. they don't move when you punch them. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
i see this thread is a little old but...
i jacked my car up today and was ready to do the SLS install.. then i couldnt find nice spot to for the jack stands to sit. i saw the pic on the 1st page of this thread but it doesnt really help. when i put the stands on the rear "jack" points, i seams like the top of the jack stand is gonna go through the side skirt, so i didnt even want to lower it down. anyone got any better pics of where to put the jack stands?
thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
so basically just use the pinch weld between the notches yes?
Thats kind of what i'm getting.

I use a lift at work so i'm not messing around with jacks. I guess i'll take a look next time the car is up on the lift at the dealership and see where they lift the car from.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts