Subaru WRX Forums banner
221 - 240 of 263 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
that module and getting it installed with the jdm folding pair has been one of the most enjoyable mods to date i get to enjoy and show off every day. i'm so glad we all got it worked out together here.

since the ?s and responses are now more so about the module and its function, i would encourage you to please begin posting in that thread (http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php/topic,20151) so the pertinent information can be kept where it best applied.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
that module and getting it installed with the jdm folding pair has been one of the most enjoyable mods to date i get to enjoy and show off every day. i'm so glad we all got it worked out together here.

since the ?s and responses are now more so about the module and its function, i would encourage you to please begin posting in that thread (http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php/topic,20151) so the pertinent information can be kept where it best applied.

Good point, yeah we should post over there, good for people to understand how it works. I love mine too, all that time and work to get the folding mirrors working, might as well use them!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
I got some folding mirrors. I'd like to offer them here before I put them up on NASIOC or EBay...

2 sets heated, one non, all power fold of course. All happen to be SWP, but no big deal, all your existing stuff will swap right over

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
How much are you looking for ? Do they have turn signals also ?
I'll PM you. They do not have turn signals, as you may have guessed;-). Those can be added though, see the DIY here. Remember you are pretty much taking the "guts" of the JDM mirror to add folding so you will end up with whatever features your mirror currently supports, adding heat and signal can be done at the same time. I have some extra wiring bits salvaged from old mirrors to plug in the signal unit if you do buy a mirror set so you can have it plug in like stock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How much are you looking for ? Do they have turn signals also ?
I'll PM you. They do not have turn signals, as you may have guessed;-). Those can be added though, see the DIY here. Remember you are pretty much taking the "guts" of the JDM mirror to add folding so you will end up with whatever features your mirror currently supports, adding heat and signal can be done at the same time. I have some extra wiring bits salvaged from old mirrors to plug in the signal unit if you do buy a mirror set so you can have it plug in like stock.
I'd be interested In these. I currently have the mirrors with the turn signals so I assume I would be able to just swap the covers without issues correct? And how much are you looking for ok the power folding/heated mirrors?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
I'd be interested In these. I currently have the mirrors with the turn signals so I assume I would be able to just swap the covers without issues correct? And how much are you looking for ok the power folding/heated mirrors?

Yes the covers swap and all mirrors mount the turn signals. Your stuff will swap right over. You'll need to pull the mirror wires and plug out and swap those over. PM'd about the mirrors.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
not trying to steal the tread, but has anyone done a diy for either an 08+ impreza or the corresponding leggy's to simply add heat?

I gathered from breezing through this thread that it's simple, just curious if there was one. It'd save me some time, and if there wasn't one, I'd put one together. I'm hopefully getting to it some day here soon, just picked up my heated mirror glass today.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
not trying to steal the tread, but has anyone done a diy for either an 08+ impreza or the corresponding leggy's to simply add heat?

I gathered from breezing through this thread that it's simple, just curious if there was one. It'd save me some time, and if there wasn't one, I'd put one together. I'm hopefully getting to it some day here soon, just picked up my heated mirror glass today.
it is in the body of this DIY...somewhere. i mentioned it a few times and posted pics while i added mine (heated glass) admist this installation.

buy the heated glass, jdm or usdm whichever you prefer, run one wire from the glass (polarity doesn't matter) to a ground (mirror mounting bolt is closest and very clean install) and the other wire from the glass to pin 14 on your in-cabin to door harness (pin 14 for both passenger and driver's side) that is prepopulated to go to the defroster relay.

done. ;)

feel free to PM me if you need any help!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sweet! I knew the info was in here somewhere, I was just having problems finding it... maybe I'll do this tomorrow. Definitely will need it soon. Heated seats via factory switch, wiring, and relay was my project last fall, this one should go quicker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going to add heated mirrors and mirror signals to my 2011 WRX Base and I thought I'd update monkiboys very useful wiring diagrams with the 2011 changes just in case someone else is looking at doing this:

I checked the signal wire in the driver side harness and it was already "livened"

Driver side harness, door side. You can see the new white wire with green stripe and blue wire with white stripe beside it. Not sure where in the door they go to:

Driver side harness, dash side. You can see a white wire with green stripe in the bottom right that seems to be new for 2011, it's populated on both sides of the connector. The signal wire in the bottom left is live:

Passenger side harness, door side. You can see the grey wire on the right side that is a signal wire. I forgot to check if it was live but I'm going to assume it's live since the driver side is. If it's not I'll update the thread when I get around to installing my signals. You can also see the two empty spots beside the grey wire in the bottom right where there are wires on previous models:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Durt thanks, that puts some clarity to the 2011 setup. You get a nice DIY and then Subaru changes up a harness...

The 2011 wiring diagrams show that White/Green wire is power to the window switch. I didn't look back to see what that used to be in previous years, must have been moved around for some reason.

The blue/white that doesn't have a wire on the dash side, it must be some other feature for another market. No idea what they would have added to the door wiring.

To bad they dropped the folding wires from the passenger door harness, so you have to run a couple if you want to do this mod, but not a showstopper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I'm trying to keep my install as OEM as possible with as few splices into the factory wiring as possible. Here are some diagrams summarizing what I plan to do:

Drivers side:
-On D83 move Black Wire with White stripe from position 25 to position 14.
-On D5 add wire with pins/contacts (not sure which are on this side of the connector) on the mirror side at positions 1, 2 and 4.
-Is it ok to tap the heated mirror ground into the turn signal ground? Would I be better off grounding to one of the mirror mounting bolts?

Passenger side:
-On D84 add wire with contact at position 14.
-Run this new wire through the door grommet up to the mirror connector.
-Add a pin/contact at position 2 on the door side of the mirror connector. Join this wire to the new wire that was run through the door grommet.
-On D15 add wire with pins/contacts (not sure which are on this side of the connector) on the mirror side at positions 1, 2 and 4.

It would be great if someone could verify this plan looks ok. Also if someone has some extra wires with pins/contacts on them that they are willing to sell please let me know.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Durt, looks good. Same ground should work between signal and heat. The signal ground itself and some other grounds in the door harness, are simply tied together inside the harness, the signal is one of them. You could have a problem backfeeding voltage but the signal LED is well, a diode so should be no problem there.

How "OEM" do you want to stay? Theoretically the non-premium car supports folding, signal but not heat. So to preserve true OEM-ness and ability to add folding mirrors later using the stock wire positions, you'd wire the heat wires outside of the wire plug. Though position 8 in the stock wire plug is unused, and if you are sharing a ground between heat and signal, you could have all functions possible in 8 wires.

The above paragraph is splitting hairs though, as long as you can get your stuff wired in to the right places and it all works you are fine.

I have a whole junk dash harness in the garage. Any number of snips of wire/terminals you need, I can get you. PM me and we can work it out. I've converted my wiring over to all terminals snapped into factory connectors, soldered to my wiring. No taps anymore, much more reliable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess I meant as OEM as possible by using the factory connectors and avoiding splicing. I also plan to solder all the wiring like you did. The folding mirrors are awesome but I can't see me ever adding them (I never park the car where its so tight that the mirrors need to be folded). If I change my mind some day I guess I could just use a new wire in position 8 and use the blue wire with red stripe on the driver side, and on the passenger side run new wires to position 5 and 8. Not too fussy about keeping the factory positions. I like that to do what I plan to now that I don't have to run any new wires on the drivers side. I'll PM you about the wire/terminals. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Driver side harness, door side. You can see the new white wire with green stripe and blue wire with white stripe beside it. Not sure where in the door they go to:

Driver side harness, dash side. You can see a white wire with green stripe in the bottom right that seems to be new for 2011, it's populated on both sides of the connector. The signal wire in the bottom left is live:
Looks like White/Green stripe goes to the power window switch circuit (I assume possibly part of the anti-pinch circuit).

221 - 240 of 263 Posts