Subaru WRX Forums banner
241 - 260 of 263 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Looks like White/Green stripe goes to the power window switch circuit (I assume possibly part of the anti-pinch circuit).
Someone got a 2011 Service manual ;-)

It looks like they moved the power supply for the windows to that wire. I didn't look much beyond that to compare to the 08-10.

The anti-pinch should stay inside the door, it runs from the motor to the switch, where all the logic lives.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Anyone know the part number for the STI mirror signal lights connector?
sent you a reply email but will post up here for those that may be thinking the same. there is no individual p/n for the connectors off of the harnesses - that would be way too convenient.

just crimp on a 3/16" female quick disconnect. it fits perfectly.

wait a minute, this has nothing to do with the jdm power folding mirror swap... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All,

from Sydney, Australia here, wanted to get the folding mirrors on my MY13 WRX GV
i bought the JDM Switch P/N: 83061SA000 if anyone needs it.

i had a look at the back of my switch connector and i have all pins used from 1 - 9 and pin 10 is the only one unused. i have blinkers on my side mirrors.
no basic options or package with heated nor folding on our mirrors.

Electronics Electrical connector Networking cables Electrical wiring Technology

didnt get the chance to trace to where it goes, though would i still be able to follow your DIY?
i actually ordered the complete LHS and RHS side mirrors that already come with heated and folding mirror capabilities and painted (still processing order), along with the JDM switch.
i will need to have a look at the connector off the JDM side mirrors to see if it matches the diagrams you guys have.

any help would be great, i will update asap!

thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JDM vs USDM Mirror Angles

I wanted to highlight that there is another difference between the USDM and JDM mirror units... in particular a difference in the mirror adjustment motor mount... because of the driver position differences between RHD and LHD, the mirrors need to reflect at different angles. When I saw MBs original picture differences I assume that those were the only differences and that the motor assembly (with mirror adjustment) were identical between USDM and JDM but they are not.

Depending on how you angle your mirrors, you may not mind the differences but because I aim my mirrors into my blind spots and away from the car, it matters a lot. I swapped the motor assemblies and here are the results.

This is the drivers side mirror set as far left as possible. As you can see, my car is still visible and is nowhere near where it needs to be (my blind spot)

This is the passenger side mirror set as far right as possible. You can see it's well beyond what is necessary. I can see the mirror internals if I shine a light at it.

Given that I absolutely cannot drive with the drivers side mirror not able to be aimed at my blind spot, I figured I'd try to find out what the difference was and how to fix it. I found that mirror adjustment motor unit where the mirror mounts to was different. The USDM left edge seemed to be thinner and mounted closer and thus allowing more left angle. The JDM unit was much thicker to the tune of about 5mm on the left edge. Since my USDM unit was out anyway, I decided to remove the 4 screws holding that motor to the inner frame and see what I could do.

I found out after removing the screws, I could turn the motor around and I could separate the rear simply by release 4 pressure clips. It literally releases and you just press and it snaps back into place.

I pulled both rear plastic plates off to compare and you can see how the 4 mount points have different heights esp. the lower right one which is critical to allowing the drivers side mirror to angle more to the left. USDM on the left and JDM on the right. That mount point is the main roadblock. See how thick the JDM one is? The thicker it is, the more angle to the right, which is not what I want.

A swap here would be a piece of cake and the easiest thing to do right? Nope. They are not interchangeable. They are slightly different and therefore won't snap back on. I could probably hack it or force it but it won't seal up properly. See how it's ever so slightly different on the edge?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because I couldn't just swap the rears, I decided to cut down the tall plastic spacer. I cut the 2 long ones of the JDM down to the USDM sizes. I then used the shorter one on the right (about 2mm in height) and placed it on top of the short JDM spacer.

After I remounted the mirror adjustment assembly, it seated identical to the USDM mirror. Be careful not to tighten down the bottom right screw too much...

I'll have to test the passenger side to ensure that I can bring the mirror in enough to see the car. If I can, I'll leave the passenger mirror as is.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Hello all im attempting this install in a SG 08 Forester XT but was curious to know if anyone transfered the USDM Metal base on the inner housing into the JDM power mirror housing?
it is all one unit. you are installing the jdm power folding units including that metal pivot base into the usdm skeleton. no disassembly of that metal base required.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Passenger side:
-On D84 add wire with contact at position 14.
-Run this new wire through the door grommet up to the mirror connector.
-Add a pin/contact at position 2 on the door side of the mirror connector. Join this wire to the new wire that was run through the door grommet.
-On D15 add wire with pins/contacts (not sure which are on this side of the connector) on the mirror side at positions 1, 2 and 4.

So I've finished up all my wiring for my heated mirrors and signals for my base 2011 WRX except for I need a contact to populate pin 2 on the door side of the mirror connector. Everything is working great on the drivers side. If anyone has one of these or know where I might be able to get one please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Great to see this thread still going ha. Lithiumus thanks for detailing the differences in the adjuster mounting angle I did figure this out eventually, didn't know it initially. For most the angles of the JDM adjuster will work but if not, swapping the back, or the whole adjuster with the LHD one will do the trick.

Mudbuddha, epically long reply ha, but just for others: the RHD Aussie WRX probably has all the wiring for the folding mirrors, so probably plug and play for you, unlike us US folks have to add the dash wiring...

·
Registered
3 Posts
newbie poster, longtime lurker/ex-wrx owner here.

i am hoping someone here has knowledge of this, as i have been unable to read all 20+ pages of this thread.

my dad has a 2009 forester with one mirror held together with duct tape no thanks to a bike courier.

i tried trolling the auctions without success trying to find jdm SH5/SH9 mirrors, but they are nonexistent. however, there are impreza ones available of the same year.

i've been told that impreza mirrors won't bolt on to the forester because the mounting pattern is wrong. also, the forester mirror is bigger...

but what about the internals? can i get jdm impreza mirrors of the same vintage and swap the guts into a usdm forester mirror? i don't want to buy the parts and then find out they are useless :(

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
also can someone confirm this?:

- OR 1 set (L/R) of JDM Subaru OEM "Mirror Repair Kit" for heated/folding/signal mirrors, Subaru JDM OEM p/n's 91029AG022 and 91029AG032.

when i searched online, it came up as this:
Subaru - OEM Parts - Impreza GC8 GF8 - Nengun Performance
91029AG022/ 91029AG032
Subaru - Impreza STi - GC8 JDM OEM left & Right Power folding side mirrors

as for the part number for the switch... the number comes up as a usdm switch?
http://www.newenglandsubaruparts.co...EMOTE-CONTROL-MIRROR/49293338/83061SA000.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
08 11 LED signal with long led Strip

they definitely are, actually more so, i believe then the oem sti ones. these have a dedicated LED pointed in that direction. seen here:

and that's almost completely 180 degrees from the direct forward angle so a driver behind you would more than likely be able to see it and all those to the left.

here's another so you can see how the light really does carry throughout the body of the indicator even in bright sunny lighting and the single LED that is aimed rearward:

no, i didn't. i forgot i had wanted to do that. i'll go do that a little bit later today, actually. thanks for the reminder.

Where did you find the LED signal with that LONG 180 degree signal I want one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
180 degree turn signal

hi jay_fabs, I import jdm parts regularly and brought them in. they are the k2gear "winker". pricey but unique and much nicer.
I checked them out they are very expensive. I think I going to pass.

but on to another subject. I cannot find installation instructions for the Power folding Module. and they other threads are unreachable. Can you please let me know where to go?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 WRX.

Can I use JDM BP/BL Legacy Power Folding Mirrors, and JUST swap the bases + mirror glass?

I am aware the bases and units are shaped differently for LHD/RHD.
I am hoping to upgrade to the STi (LED) mirrors, but I can get the JDM Legacy mirrors for cheap.

241 - 260 of 263 Posts