Subaru WRX Forums banner

41 - 60 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I haven't given up on my hunt for connectors - best lead so far is that Toyota uses Sumitomo connectors almost exclusively. They have a decent catalog on-line: http://www.sws.co.jp - looks like a few different series connectors are likely candidates - look at the TS Sealed, 91 and SL series. And I need to find a US distributor who will deal in small quantities.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Rained all day last Friday, I didn't want to get soaked out at the boneyard. I will be around on a Sat soon so I can get out there and get my spare connector from an old Toyota or Subaru. I'm kind stopped until then.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Rained all day last Friday, I didn't want to get soaked out at the boneyard. I will be around on a Sat soon so I can get out there and get my spare connector from an old Toyota or Subaru. I'm kind stopped until then.
seeing how we are in this together, i have no problem sharing with you, sir. after at least thirteen messages trying to explain to an ebay seller from TN what i was looking for i think he sent it, haha. so i should have more than enough of those switch terminals available to share.

i dont believe they are the same as the dash/door connector at the dash tho, which is what i'm having a really hard time sourcing. folks don't want to cut it out for me and there isn't a junkyard within 150 miles with an 08+ impreza.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
seeing how we are in this together, i have no problem sharing with you, sir. after at least thirteen messages trying to explain to an ebay seller from TN what i was looking for i think he sent it, haha. so i should have more than enough of those switch terminals available to share.

i dont believe they are the same as the dash/door connector at the dash tho, which is what i'm having a really hard time sourcing. folks don't want to cut it out for me and there isn't a junkyard within 150 miles with an 08+ impreza.

If you could drop a couple of those terminals in an envelope that would rock!

You don't really need terminals for the door connector, you can just tap the wires on the door side harness, that is how I livened my signal (+) wire. Not as dire a situation as the mirror switch, it is nearly impossible to get a decent removable connection to it without adding terminals to the unpopulated locations we need to use.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
You don't really need terminals for the door connector, you can just tap the wires on the door side harness, that is how I livened my signal (+) wire. Not as dire a situation as the mirror switch, it is nearly impossible to get a decent removable connection to it without adding terminals to the unpopulated locations we need to use.
yeah, that's what i wanted to do, add terminals to the unpopulated locations for a truly clean and oem look - although, completely unnecessary and seemingly difficult to source, so i'm just gonna splice, solder, and heatshrink from the door side, like you said.

once i get the terminal to me, i'll PM you. if i have extras after install i'll post up and let others know as well so they can pick some up at shipping cost.

·
Registered
206 Posts
<--- joining the folding mirror club soon! Thanks to monkiboy for getting the jdm parts stateside.

Thanks for the write up and inspiration power6 and monkiboy! I'll snap some pics during the process and add to the DIY if I see anything which hasn't already been documented.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
glad to help, sir. there will only be a few us in this "club" but it'll be great, regardless, haha.

ok usps "tracking" really is quite piss poor. it shows this as still 500 miles away from me. nonetheless, one of the connectors and pig tails arrived today (and they cut it with plenty of length, thank goodness) so i should be able to start experimenting and wiring in the next couple days.

there is only the top connector lock clip that needs to be removed on this and you should be good. here it is removed, for reference.

here it is with all the terminals removed, yay!

EDIT: the terminals for the interior and cluster dimming rocker are the same as well so i took those out, too. so i got plenty if anyone needs any, let me know!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
In the words of Peter Griffin...FREAKING SWEET!

Maybe those match the window switch terminals too eh?

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
ok, i fibbed. they are not the same but gosh darn they look so similar. it just maybe 1mm smaller which prevents it from fitting in.

regardless, i have five more that i don't need and this is a game of dibs so two to power6 and two to techno* that will ship with your mirrors. thanks!

oh, and i finished my install. and power6, you'll be happy to know i did not testing, wired everything, close everything up, bolted it all. and everything worked the first time even my new-to-me heated mirrors. wired it from both sides to pin 14 (unplugged the only free terminal on the door side to match pin 14 on the dash side which was populated, and voila)

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
power6, here are some install photos to add to the DIY and brief captions so you know what i was trying to illustrate.

remove terminal cover on your stock switch connector

install two new terminals in positions 9 and 10 of the connector (the two left most in the pic)

vampire clip, strip and splice, as you wish, connect your new wires to the wires in the door side of the door-to-dash connector

if you have LED indicators being installed, pull the "plug" out of the motor and push the wires for the indicators through then put the plug back in to keep things firmly in place.

this is how i populated my 8-pin, now heated mirror and powerfolding mirror to door harness connector. mind you the indicators run two separate wires not through the connector. grey and brown from the assembly are your power folding wires

if you want heated mirrors, take the only free wire on both the driver side (WR) and passenger side (gray) and move them from their existing spot in your door side of the door to dash connector and move it to pin 14 to be picked up and populated with the already existing heated mirror wire on the dash side of this connector.

this is what the connector looks like tapped with vampire clips. the red circle indicates where the heated mirror wire needs to go, pin 14.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
So are they cool or what???
duuuuude, are they ever. i'm ?ºber glad they we figured it out and that i was able to complete the swap today. even better that it all worked out as we said it would and all wiring was correct, the first time. oh, and the k2gear indicators are much brighter and the "tubes" disperse the light throughout the entire indicator vs just the ends of the sti oem pieces.

"are they cool or what??" ... you tell me!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
duuuuude, are they ever. i'm ?ºber glad they we figured it out and that i was able to complete the swap today. even better that it all worked out as we said it would and all wiring was correct, the first time. oh, and the k2gear indicators are much brighter and the "tubes" disperse the light throughout the entire indicator vs just the ends of the sti oem pieces.

"are they cool or what??" ... you tell me!
Yeah, pretty damn cool! The winkers look good. Can you tell me, are they visible from the rear to the side like the stock ones? Sounds dumb maybe, but I like the safety of the signal visibility, wouldn't want to give that up, though I want to pick those K2 gear pieces up at some point.

Did you rewire the mirror power to constant?

41 - 60 of 262 Posts