Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
stupid question here, I was looking at getting a couple of JL audio 10" subwoofers. i was looking at the v6 and v7 series. I think i am going to go with the v6 series but is there a significant difference in sound between the 2?. would a 500 watt amp be sufficient or should i get a 1000 watt. new to doing this my self so any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
2 x W6 should be enough... if you go with the W7 i rather just get 1 x 12"
one W7 will require around 500rms for one only, so if you want to you will need something that can push MINIMUM 1000RMS as for the W6 they required about as much power but i will not go under 800RMS for a twin setup

As for the amp, are you looking for a JL audio amp also ? are you considering the slash or the A-Series (not 1ohm stable for the mono)... the Slash 1000/1 will be the best bet if you can offer it, but please dont drive this setup with a 500/1... if you cannot offer more than this one than you should shop for a different brand of amp

another thing you might want to consider, the W6 are DVC 4+4 so you will need a amp stable in 1ohm, or one amp for each sub

feel free to ask if you got some more question

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great thank you. could you explain "another thing you might want to consider, the W6 are DVD 4+4 so you will need a amp stable in 1ohm, or one amp for each sub" I am not sure what you mean by this. :eek:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
sorry typing error, i meant DVC

that the resistance of your woofer, they have two voice coils of 4ohm each, so you can plug them together to achieved either 8ohm or 2ohm per sub
when you gonna hook them to a mono amplifier you can either end up with 1ohm or 4ohm... and most mono amplifier give only half their power in 4ohm and most of them will be unstable at 1ohm which will result in overheating and clipping

so by putting two mono amp which will produce their max power at 2ohm, one per sub, you will be optimal... same as putting your two woofer at 1ohm on a bigger 1ohm stable mono amp

its all high school physic notion, resistance, impedance, paralel and serie.. those kind of stuff :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great thank you for the explanation. do you think these subs would draw enough power to need a cap?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
havent experienced what our electrical system look like BUT
If you but an additional 4gauge to the - Battery ground - Engine Ground and Power between the battery and the alternator... and running at least a 4g to the rear with a excellent grounding position and proper adjustement you should be alright.... the cap will help for sure but i will definity do what i just said first before wasting money on a caps... they are like a plaster on a wound, they help but they dont really heal...the power need to flow well first

·
Registered
629 Posts
Im running a JL 10W3 in my hatch with a JL 400 MONO Amp. It hits nice and smooth no Dynamat needed. It u wanna spend the money I would get the W6, its a great speaker but if you are gonna do that make sure you upgrade your Tweeters and Mid-Range speakers as well, otherwise it'll be way too bass heavy especially if u have a hatch.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Sound proofing is always needed... its not just a matter of rattling... its improved your SPL and overall sound quality

1 - 8 of 8 Posts