Subaru WRX Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all,

Finally traded in my 18-year-old stick shift Civic after driving her for 12 years. Kind of a bittersweet goodbye but I’m stoked to pick up my WRX dream car. It’s a 2017 Premium with 33,000 miles and everything is stock but the wheels and tires.

I’ve been driving stick for 15 years now (albeit only Hondas) so I know my way a around a manual pretty well. Still, I understand the WRX is a very different clutch, feel, and driving experience entirely. I test drove the Subaru before I bought her and it all went fine but I was stressing the clutch a bit to where there was a slight smell.

Any good advice on different driving techniques, skills adjustments, or maintenance know how for someone making this transition between these brands and models?

Not new to a manual, but I realize I’m very new to a sports car and this kind of stick shift. Open to any and all suggestions and input.

Thanks in advance!

- Hock

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, Ill throw in my two cents worth. One problem most people have moving from another manual trans platform to a WRX is RPM drop. The WRX has what most would call a long delayed RPM drop coming off the throttle during shifts, especially the 1-2 shift. This becomes less of a problem as you take the car passed 2500 rpm on the 1-2 shift. The car does not like a fast shift, especially when the trans is cold. In fact, even with the SUBARU MT fluid it is still a sensitive shift on the 1-2 when cold. Once the fluid has warmed up, it shifts absolutely great. It will take some time to get the car to
drive like you want it to, plenty of practice. My latest is a 2020 Limited. I moved to a COBB 1 Big SF tune. This improved the RPM drop, but did not completely eliminate this issue. Im sure there are other opinions concerning this question. Listen to what other people might offer. For myself, these things I listed were my biggest issues. Others might say different. Good luck and enjoy your WRX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2016 WRX Premium and noticed the drop in RPMs when pushing the car harder than normal. After the warranty expired, I bought a COBB air intake and an ETS Cat-back exhaust system and had the car pro-tuned. I gained 40 hp and never experienced the RPM dump again. I 'm not an expert, but I think just having the car tuned on a DYNO tuner would eliminate the problem Tunes aren't cheap, but I think it's worth checking out. Look for a performance shop in your area and give them a call. Also, the COBB short-throw shifter kit really tightens up you shifts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts