Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question guys, I told Jeff at Perrin I'm moving to Virginia in June and so he sent me an AP and told me to download the
Ca91 ACN map and use that till I get to Virginia. He sent me an e- mail containing a map that is supposed to be the Perrin-tuned 93 octane map. How do I get that map off my e-mail when it is not recognized by the AP Manager, do I need to download it to the AP first ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had the same issue. Download the file to your computer. Open My Computer and go to Tools->Folder Options. On the View tab make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is unchecked . Right click on the map that Perrin gave you, mine was "PERRIN" and select rename. Rename to PERRIN.ptm . Renaming the file .ptm extension will allow the AP manager to import it and you're good to go.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are a genius !!!!! Worked like a charm ;D

Any chance that I can run the 93 octane map with 91 octane gas and spraying meth/water and if so what should my mixture be ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm going to try and answer your question lol. I'm a total newb so take my words with a grain of salt. From what I understand you should be able to run that 93 octane map with meth/water on 91 oct gas, but beware. This is a quote from Unibombers faq on NASIOC:

"I live where they only have 91 octane, will this help me out?? In those cases, you are helped out EVEN MORE than the 93 octane people. You will have a lower overall effective octane, but it will still be well above the equivalent of 100 octane. Your power and detonation resistance gains will be more dramatic than the people who can get 93."

"Do I need engine management to run this? Yes, 100% absolutely you HAVE TO have, at a minimum, some way of tuning fuel. Because when this sprays you will go INSANELY rich, like 7-1 rich. That is rich enough to be dangerous and can cause bore wash (this is where there is so much fluid in the cyl that it rinses the oil off the cyl walls, and the rings tear themselves and the cyl wall up.)"

So, it seems that if you run 91 octane and do meth injection you will likely be over 100 octane in actuality. The 93 octane perrin map may be too rich, potentially way too rich, for your setup. You may have to get a custom tune to match your exact octane, post meth injection.

(Link to quotes: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937176)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Sxhmidog that makes almost too much sense I'm gonna need a customs tuned map for the meth for sure.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should get my AP tomorrow where is the OBD sensor located. I'm hoping its not the same plug that's used for the dealer installed alarm ( crosses fingers) just for clarification I have a rectangular black box mounted low and to the left of the steering column that has something to do with the alarm. Anyone know what this is for or what it plugs into?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The OBDII plug is a white plug located directly under the steering column. It should not have anything to do with your alarm.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k cool I found it how about the test connectors any tips on where to find these.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
k cool I found it how about the test connectors any tips on where to find these.
There is a little bit of conflicting info...

According to what I read on cobb forum the test connectors have become obsolete as far as the AP goes... but the manual sayes to plug them together.

Here is the thread I read

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38706

Bottom of the 1st page post 8, 9 & 10 pretty much lay it out.

When I flashed my ecu to satge 1 i did not connect the test connectors. The AP married up just fine.

After all that... it is your call, let me know what you do.

Have fun...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it. Now come on Fedex dude GOGOGO!!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea its raining in SD county today so he's probably been slowed by people who drive inferior FWD/RWD cars :p

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It is a little known fact that when people see water on the ground that means GO FASTER!!!!

in their inferior car of course!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so I got it installed and cooked dinner for my kids at the same time. Dinner sucked as usual but the install couldn't have went smoother. I haven't got to drive it yet but I do, as usual, have a few more questions. The " live data " function, how accurate is it? Reason I ask is both the A/F meter and boost meter seem to be going crazy. If the AP is accurate I saw my car go to like 19:1 which can't be because I'd be writing a different thread right know LOL. I might have just answered my own question.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It is being reported that the Live Data function is producing some weird numbers...

As far as the boost meter goes people have been reporting, it has shown on my AP also, a so called "stuck value" of around +10.5psi sitting at a stop light. It almost seems like the 10.5psi value is the AP's way of saying that there is no boost present. Weird...

What were you doing when you got the AFR reading 19:1? What I am showing is:
14ish at idle
11ish at WOT
12ish cruising
Really tipping in the throttle and also coming off the throttle can lead to an ultra lean situation if just for a split second. If it ran sustained 19:1 @ WOT you could be melting stuff and I would be replying to a different thread.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea it was from "tipping in the throttle" Ive never usedan A/R meter so I didn't realize in that situation you can go that lean momentarily. Thanks Lefty.
I gotta go to work today so Ill be able to give it a test ride.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so 2 days later I'm having a blast with the car the difference really is minal on 91 but it is Alt better. I threw a po244 code which aparently is a boost cut or something. I cleared the code and all is well. Can't wait for the TBE !!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts