Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an 09 WRX Hatchback in Lightning Red.

I happened to stumble upon this forum tonight and thought it could be a good resource.
I came from a 2002 WRX with a vf30 running e85 although I am taking a power hit for now it is only a mater of time before my 09 surpasses the 02.
I live in Broomfield, Colorado a northern suburb of Denver.
I also do opensource tuning and even though I am still in the break in period have done a little bit of datalogging. Anybody else getting 16 psi boost spikes? I will soon be putting this car on the dyno and may work out a stage 1 map followed by a Stage 1 e85 map.

I picked up the car on Tuesday but snow kept me garaged till friday night. I have snow tires on there now so I am ready for anything.
I know I only had the car for less than a week but it's already modded. ;D Perrin short shift adapter is already installed and I really like it. The ecu isn't going last in stock form for too long either. It will probably be a good thing because from what I can tell the stock ecu map seems a little dangerous. You shouldn't be in closed loop at 16 PSI.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Congrats...the red looks nice. I don't mind the tails on the red.

e85...like ethanol e85? I didn't know it was even possible (if that is what you are talking about)

I really enjoy Colorado...a WRX out there would be money. A turbo would go a long way that high up.

I'll have some questions for you later about your tune. In the mean, time..WELCOME!

joneSi

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Congrats on the 09. I'm from Denver and there are a few other Coloradoans on here. So theres lots of good local help as well.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
e85...like ethanol e85? I didn't know it was even possible (if that is what you are talking about)
Yeah I'm talking about ethanol. It is pretty easy to get tuned for. It has many advantages over gas on turbo Subarus. It has larger exhaust gas volume, that equates to quicker spool and huge torque numbers. It is 105 octane and provides amazing detonation resistance. You can run way too much timing and still not get any knock. Ethanol burns much cooler than gasoline and allows us to run much leaner mixtures at higher boost levels. We generally have to run really rich to cool the charge at the expense of power. On e85 we can easily run within that fuels max power AFR range without high egt's.

The results are generally come out with a 10% - 20%HP gain
or
a stage 2 2.5L WRX with TD04 on e85 = stage 2 STI on gas.

and today it was 1.29 a gallon!

·
Registered
717 Posts
nice pick-up! car looks great!
interesting e85 info.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Love the red ;)

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
welcome to the site.. Red looks great.. Im am a fellow Denver WRX owner.. actually I live in Henderson but its easier to explain Denver to people.. Welcome though its a great site lots of great people here!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah I'm talking about ethanol. It is pretty easy to get tuned for. It has many advantages over gas on turbo Subarus. It has larger exhaust gas volume, that equates to quicker spool and huge torque numbers. It is 105 octane and provides amazing detonation resistance. You can run way too much timing and still not get any knock. Ethanol burns much cooler than gasoline and allows us to run much leaner mixtures at higher boost levels. We generally have to run really rich to cool the charge at the expense of power. On e85 we can easily run within that fuels max power AFR range without high egt's.

The results are generally come out with a 10% - 20%HP gain
or
a stage 2 2.5L WRX with TD04 on e85 = stage 2 STI on gas.

and today it was 1.29 a gallon!
I don't think our fuel system can run more then 10% of ethanol. Something about rusting the metal fuel lines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice, looks awesome! I work in Broomfield so I'll probably see you around!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new car. I was actually just up in Boulder last month visiting a friend on my way to Vegas. It's amazing how many subies are out there! Well, good luck with the car and I can't wait to see what you end up doing with it.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think our fuel system can run more then 10% of ethanol. Something about rusting the metal fuel lines.
E85 myth number 1. It isn't very corrosive. If your car was built anytime after 1990 your fuel lines will be fine.

As far as the conversion goes it just has be retuned to deliver more fuel. The biggest factor here is your injectors. In colorado our high altitude gives us a little bit more headroom. On a tdo4 wrx stage 2 on e85 will about max out the injectors. I think there won't be enough headroom for a 09 in full stage 2 but I think a stage 1 will give plenty of room. Although you generally need about 30% more fuel for e85 compared to gas, the leaner WOT mixtures let you knock that down to be somewhere between 15-20% more fuel needed.

This thread on Nabisco will let you know everything you need to know and a lot more you don't.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

In some parts of the country e85 is actually quite available. It is at alot of gas stations just look for the yellow pump. Colorado is a great place for it. It has been thoroughly embraced by tree huggers and the entire performance community, everyone from Big Blocks to imports to street bikes are running it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
E85 myth number 1. It isn't very corrosive. If your car was built anytime after 1990 your fuel lines will be fine.

As far as the conversion goes it just has be retuned to deliver more fuel. The biggest factor here is your injectors. In colorado our high altitude gives us a little bit more headroom. On a tdo4 wrx stage 2 on e85 will about max out the injectors. I think there won't be enough headroom for a 09 in full stage 2 but I think a stage 1 will give plenty of room. Although you generally need about 30% more fuel for e85 compared to gas, the leaner WOT mixtures let you knock that down to be somewhere between 15-20% more fuel needed.

This thread on Nabisco will let you know everything you need to know and a lot more you don't.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341

In some parts of the country e85 is actually quite available. It is at alot of gas stations just look for the yellow pump. Colorado is a great place for it. It has been thoroughly embraced by tree huggers and the entire performance community, everyone from Big Blocks to imports to street bikes are running it.
LOL, even better than in Iowa. We -don't- have it many places, and we are FULL of corn. You can find it, you just have to look kinda hard for it. It think that makes your whip quite unique on here. Keep us posted... I am certainly a fan (but will likely stay away, myself)

joneSi

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
nice car man! DAMN I gotta get one of those spoiler on the 08

1 - 16 of 16 Posts