Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I used to have an Accord and I put in a Carputer back in 2004. It was one of the best investments I had made since it gave me GPS, crapload of music storage, and abilities to do a ton of other things. So when I picked up my 2009 WRX, this was one of the first things on the list. My old system was really ghetto rigged and was this wooden box that sat in the trunk. I wanted to go for a stealthier install this time around since the trunk is smaller. Also, I wanted an intelligent power supply so I wouldn't have to keep hitting a toggle switch everytime I got into the car as with my old one.

:D :D :D

Components used:

Intel Dual Core Atom 330 Mini-ITX Mobo
2GB DDR2 RAM
Holux GPS Receiver
Lilliput 629 LED Backlit (2008 Model) LCD
80GB Seagate 5400.3 HD
DSATX 220W Intelligent PSU

Test Fit and Fabbing

The above was with my old Lilliput 619 LCD that took a dump on me. The 629 is in the pictures below

Test bench

·
Registered
717 Posts
wow. very nice. good work.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you managed to fit everything behind the dash?
Yeah...it didn't fit at first so it took some work. I routed the HVAC controls to go under the metal crossbar and snipped the ties that kept the bundle running on top of the bar. It was then a matter of massaging everything into place

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Very nice.. thinking of doing the same to mine. With wireless internet from AT&T and keyboard so I can surf the web too lol.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
you managed to fit everything behind the dash?
Yeah...it didn't fit at first so it took some work. I routed the HVAC controls to go under the metal crossbar and snipped the ties that kept the bundle running on top of the bar. It was then a matter of massaging everything into place
very cool. there is a ton of space back there to play with, glad to see someone made use of it. I feel like I need to install something else back there it feels so empty.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much investment did you do in it?..
Some parts were left over from my old build...but I figure around 500-600

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Dude this is freakin awesome +1 for you ;D

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My first Karma point :)

When I have time I'll post a rough DIY in the DIY section...I did that on my Accord forum a few years back

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
DAYUM!!!! That looks GREAT.

I'm going to be putting in a Pioneer Avic-700bt this week, and I am JEALOUS!

+1 for you.

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm curious, did you hook it up so that the screen dims when you have the headlights on, or do you have to do that manually?

Those new AVIC units look really nice. I heard they were buggy at first, but they also have a ton of features and the new 3d maps look actually useful unlike the driver view on my d3 which is totally worthless.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I want to do this but I can't find a cheap enough screen that'll fit in there :(

I already have the computer for it too -- an old laptop (intel core duo) -- screen broke... so I'll just mount the laptop, sans keyboard and trackpad, under the seat... run the wires up to the dash.

some day.

my awesome plan is to have it hooked up to a tactrix cable that returns live data like A/F ratio, boost, etc... like a little startrek-looking control center as well as media player, nav, etc.

post more details & photos!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts