Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a Cobb rep that this version allows slightly higher boost levels without throwing the wonderful PO244 CEL (boost creep / over boost). Two days ago I installed a Cobb DP and SPT cat back and threw CEL / PO244 right away. I just flashed the new version and went for a 40 minute cruise and so far so good. Hopefully this will help solve this problem without needing to mess with the waste gate.

Go to Cobbtuning.com, click on support and follow the prompts to the 08 WRX

Happy motoring

Dan P

·
Registered
344 Posts
There is also an AP manager update, plus I hear the "dyno" feature is soon to be released ;D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I flashed the Perrin Stg 1rev3 on Thursday after updating my AP and the Manager software. The AP now says 'Boost' instead of 'Absolute Pressure' (or whatever it was) when looking at the Live Data... and apparently it's supposed to be more accurate with the progress bar during a flash. Minor stuff. I'm really looking forward to the dyno tune stuff.

.. anyway, what was I saying(?).. Oh yeah, so in going from the Cobb Stg1 base map to the Perrin Stg1 base map I notice a huge difference in boost, but on the 3rd pull (this was with the car warmed up, but only about 2 miles on the map), I let off the throttle once I reached the speed limit and there was a shudder from the engine and I got the P0244 (wastegate range/performance). I reset the CPU and drove it again more conservatively for the first 10 miles or so. Now I've put about 300 miles on it over the weekend with out any trouble. Just thought I'd share, since you said you got the code right away. If you or anyone else has this problem again, give it some more time to learn before romping on it and see if you can avoid it. *shrug* Good luck with the new flash.

Speaking of learning.. I was boosting over 16psi on Saturday afternoon while climbing a hill in 3rd gear... with a fresh real-time flash of the Perrin map (I was showing the AP to my parents) it wouldn't exceed 14.5psi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I flashed the Perrin Stg 1rev3 on Thursday after updating my AP and the Manager software. The AP now says 'Boost' instead of 'Absolute Pressure' (or whatever it was) when looking at the Live Data... and apparently it's supposed to be more accurate with the progress bar during a flash. Minor stuff. I'm really looking forward to the dyno tune stuff.

.. anyway, what was I saying(?).. Oh yeah, so in going from the Cobb Stg1 base map to the Perrin Stg1 base map I notice a huge difference in boost, but on the 3rd pull (this was with the car warmed up, but only about 2 miles on the map), I let off the throttle once I reached the speed limit and there was a shudder from the engine and I got the P0244 (wastegate range/performance). I reset the CPU and drove it again more conservatively for the first 10 miles or so. Now I've put about 300 miles on it over the weekend with out any trouble. Just thought I'd share, since you said you got the code right away. If you or anyone else has this problem again, give it some more time to learn before romping on it and see if you can avoid it. *shrug* Good luck with the new flash.

I had that happen to me with the Perrin stage 1 rev 2 map. Are you running that for your base map, or did you just change it in "real time". If you are using it in real time, try reflashing the ECU so the Perrin map is the base map. That fixed my overboost problem. There is more data transferred to the ECU when you do it that way rather than the real time change.

The newer Cobb map has helped out wth stage 2. I have not overboosted since and have put over 500 miles on.

Speaking of learning.. I was boosting over 16psi on Saturday afternoon while climbing a hill in 3rd gear... with a fresh real-time flash of the Perrin map (I was showing the AP to my parents) it wouldn't exceed 14.5psi.
Are you running the Perrin map as you base map or just in "real time". If in real time, change it to your base map and that may help. I had PO244 come up while running the Perrin map in real time. I reflashed the ECU with the map and didn't have a problem after that. There is more data transferred to the ECU when you reflash vs. switch in real time.

The newer version from Cobb works great for stage 2. I have not overboosted since I downloaded the new map.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Both of you need to re-read my 2nd paragraph more carefully. ;) The Cobb Stg1 map is definitely smoother. The Perrin Stg1 map hits 16psi and makes the turbo audible.. and, obviously, pulls harder. I like the Perrin.

I'm sure it's nothing compared to Stg2, though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I know it was supposed to help. That blows man. I have read that pretty much every 2.5t running a TBE has over boost issues from time to time unless you port out your wastegate, get another turbo or figure out a way to release your wastegate to atmosphere..... Sucks big time!!! I haven't had it happen once since I reflashed with the new map.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts