Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K&N Drop in air filter

What are the benefits of the K&N and do you guys think its worth the $40 ?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Re: K&N Drop in air filter

I can't tell you that there are any real benefits to the K&N, I have one installed in mine and have since the car was new. I can hear the turbo and BOV a very little bit more but is that a benefit to you I am not sure. I have always ran K&N on all my cars, and have had no negatives to it. My 95 Trans Am, made a noticeable seat of the pants difference. The WRX maybe a little faster spool but nothing dramatic. K&N although hard and costly to prove warranties the filters to not cause engine damage. I have never had a problem running them on other cars.

Seth

·
Registered
64 Posts

Your not going to really notice/have any performance improvement from a K&N replacement filter, but you are going to let more dirt into your engine and risk the chance of covering your MAF sensor in grime and oil......
I speak from experience as I used one on a Nissan SE-R SpecV I had, and made the car run like crap after a while. I took off the intake system, which was all stock except for the K&N drop-in filter, and found a ton of dirt and grime all over the intake system and all over the MAF.......I would never buy one again....As well, there have been several tests to show how much more dirt the K&N lets in than a regular stock filter, and it is a good deal more. I would rather keep my engine clean, save my money, and put it towards performance mods.....

·
Registered
519 Posts

Your not going to really notice/have any performance improvement from a K&N replacement filter, but you are going to let more dirt into your engine and risk the chance of covering your MAF sensor in grime and oil......
I speak from experience as I used one on a Nissan SE-R SpecV I had, and made the car run like crap after a while. I took off the intake system, which was all stock except for the K&N drop-in filter, and found a ton of dirt and grime all over the intake system and all over the MAF.......I would never buy one again....As well, there have been several tests to show how much more dirt the K&N lets in than a regular stock filter, and it is a good deal more. I would rather keep my engine clean, save my money, and put it towards performance mods.....
No doubt more air means more dirt. Unless you are in an exceptionally dusty or you are rallying your car I think the dirt difference is negligeable. I think that there are a ton of variables though. I had a 03' 24 valve GLI with a K&N and it would throw a CEL once in a while for a MAF I would take the MAF out spray it down with MAF cleaner and no problems, the K&N made a huge difference in low end power on that car. I like mine and always have even on different cars, it will come down to personal preference I am sure. just my $.02.

Seth

·
Registered
64 Posts

I know in MA, they throw so much salt and sand on the road during the winter that off-roading/rallying would be cleaner for the car..... :) My engine bay is full of salt residue.....

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

Get the AVO drop in filter, it is a dry filter so you don't get the oil issue over the MAF. It will make a difference in the power. More air-More Power.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Dry sounds like a better option... anyone currently using one? No codes?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

I've never had an issue with a K&N filter putting oil all over my MAF. maybe if you spray too much of the cleaning fluid all over the filter and leave it like that...

as for cost, just imagine the lifetime use of the K&N filter for $40 vs. replacing your filter every 6-12 months for $10

·
Registered
519 Posts

I've never had an issue with a K&N filter putting oil all over my MAF. maybe if you spray too much of the cleaning fluid all over the filter and leave it like that...

as for cost, just imagine the lifetime use of the K&N filter for vs. replacing your filter every 6-12 months for
I agree and also the design of the inside of the air box it would be hard to get oil on the MAF, all it is going to come down to is personal preference. Like some people have probably bought a Subaru that was a complete lemon and will never buy another, and others have no problems. Same as K&N, I will bet you can find many that have never had any problems like saturn and myself and others like phantom that will never own another.

Seth

·
Registered
64 Posts

Ive had one in my 08 wrx for 9k miles and ive cleaned it once. No CELS no issues what so ever. I did notice a little more throttle response and intake noise so i think it was worth it.

You may want to get the AVO one though only because you just rinse it with water and let it dry rather then rinse out the K&N the let it dry then oil it then let it dry again.

P.S. I live in Las Vegas it is super dusty here and ive used K&N on all of my cars and ive never had any issues

·
Registered
182 Posts

P.S. I live in Las Vegas it is super dusty here and ive used K&N on all of my cars and ive never had any issues
If you get an oil analysis, you might think twice about that.

Of course, if you're not trying to keep your cars for 200,000 miles or more, it might not matter to you.

·
Registered
64 Posts

If you get an oil analysis, you might think twice about that.

Of course, if you're not trying to keep your cars for 200,000 miles or more, it might not matter to you.
It does matter to me however I dont think its as bad as everyone makes it out to be.... And I had two cars that had well over 200k miles both running [email protected] filters with no issues. One was a 1989 Camaro and the other a 2001 toyota corolla and both are still running fine.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

just be sure to use the OEM filter
aftermarket oil filters tend to be kind of crappy (they starve the engine of oil at startup)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts