Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K&N Short Ram Typhoon Intake for 08 WRX

I was surfin the net as usual and kept reading how K&N's typhoon intake worked really well with older WRX's tuning wise. I checked K&N's site and they have in fact released an 08 WRX typhoon intake! Did anyone else know about this? I searched the forums and really didn't find anything about it so I figured i'd post it.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-8004TTK

I bought a Harman Motive intake but when I contacted Perrin about a Stage 1 + HM intake, they told me they cannot offer a tune with it because AEM and HM intakes are supposedly unstable when they are tuned, so i might just sell the HM intake and buy the typhoon kit because Perrin DOES support typhoon tunes.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Re: K&N Short Ram Typhoon Intake for 08 WRX

I was surfin the net as usual and kept reading how K&N's typhoon intake worked really well with older WRX's tuning wise. I checked K&N's site and they have in fact released an 08 WRX typhoon intake! Did anyone else know about this? I searched the forums and really didn't find anything about it so I figured i'd post it.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-8004TTK

I bought a Harman Motive intake but when I contacted Perrin about a Stage 1 + HM intake, they told me they cannot offer a tune with it because AEM and HM intakes are supposedly unstable when they are tuned, so i might just sell the HM intake and buy the typhoon kit because Perrin DOES support typhoon tunes.
Was there any particular reason they stated for it? Maybe go to HM for a tune is another option. I think your gains with the HM would be better than the Typhoon because of filter location dont you think so? You are still in the engine bay regardless of the shield.
I am just wondering what Perrin will say because they are using a multi-piece design that is more unstable than the singel piece design you are running now. Plus HM has the same constant diameter and air straighteners that Perrin uses.

Weird, maybe they just talking down their competition ???

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

That's what i thought but they will tune the K&N unit which is not their intake either. Maybe it has something to do with short ram vs. CAI? I wonder if the K&N intake has air straighteners

·
Registered
988 Posts

My friend has a Perrin instake and it does not have intake straighteners. Perrin does not want their map used on other intakes.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I have been running the stage 2 perrin map with an Agency Power CAI for about 3000 miles now, and I haven't had any problems at all.

·
Registered
988 Posts

MSRP is like 321 from K&N. I'm trying to see how low that instake can go.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

MSRP is like 321 from K&N. I'm trying to see how low that instake can go.
As far as... price? how low in the fender?

·
Registered
84 Posts

ive checked k and n like every other day up until like last week.. i havent seen this?! thanks for the post

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

My friend has a Perrin instake and it does not have intake straighteners. Perrin does not want their map used on other intakes.
Wouldn't this make it even more unstable? Multi-piece, and no straighteners?
Maybe they figure k&n is not really their competion since it is a short ram and since K&n is not in the same market segment as they are?

·
Registered
988 Posts

Perrin's intake is a multi-piece as well.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Perrin's intake is a multi-piece as well.
But the HM and the K&N have single intake tube designs.
They (Perrin) were saying the HM and AEM are unstable compared to their multi-piece unstraightened units which is what I find weird.
Maybe they were referring to foam vs. cotton for long term filtration stability? But then the k&n would also be unstable.

·
Registered
988 Posts

Some one should put the intakes to the test.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

ive checked k and n like every other day up until like last week.. i havent seen this?! thanks for the post
Haha i know me too! When I saw this I was like, ok there MUST be a post somewhere on 3G i searched for almost an hour.

Well I've decided that I'm definitely going to get rid of the harman motive intake and grab the K&N. I always wanted a short ram intake anyway and it's supposed to make good power. The only thing i'm worried about is i've never owned an oiled filter before and i've heard stories of peoples MAF sensors getting really clogged and dirty with oil and really messing up their cars...

·
Registered
78 Posts

Does any one else think it's weird that the power gains on the chart for the k&n are listed for 2nd gear pulls. I'm pretty new to car modding but don't most people do their dyno's w/ 3rd gear pulls? ???

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

Does any one else think it's weird that the power gains on the chart for the k&n are listed for 2nd gear pulls. I'm pretty new to car modding but don't most people do their dyno's w/ 3rd gear pulls? ???
that is odd. 3rd gear or 4th gear is usually used. Maybe they were going w/ the gear that produces the most WHP depending on dyno.....

·
Registered
55 Posts

its funny how the dyno chart of the K&N intake on a stock WRX doesnt even look like a dyno chart that our cars would make, at 3,000 rpm the torque is nowhere near what it should be, its like at 20wtq when it should be at full torque and the power increases as the run progresses, even though the WRX falls on its face because of the junk td04 at close to 5,000 rpms.....so the 14 hp increase is bullshit the dyno chart isnt even that of a 2008 wrx

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

its funny how the dyno chart of the K&N intake on a stock WRX doesnt even look like a dyno chart that our cars would make, at 3,000 rpm the torque is nowhere near what it should be, its like at 20wtq when it should be at full torque and the power increases as the run progresses, even though the WRX falls on its face because of the junk td04 at close to 5,000 rpms.....so the 14 hp increase is bullshit the dyno chart isnt even that of a 2008 wrx
Whoa how did I not notice that. You're right that is NOT an 08 WRX dyno

·
Registered
988 Posts

They don't have a tq chart .... They are just comparing the stock run and a run with the intake.

·
Registered
84 Posts

do k and n intake void warnty?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts