Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be my one and only mod for this car but I just felt the stock shifter sucked with no feel at all. What a difference this package adds, so much easier to tell where you are and no longer feels like a big rubber lever. Even if you like the stock throw you really should do the bushings, impressive difference. Also the shift effort does not feel greater being a shorter throw, and I couldn't hear any additional noise. I got the shifter and bushing package that includes the front and rear bushings, I skipped the knob though in favor of the plain factory knob.

http://www.kartboy.com/
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5049

Additional notes for 2008 WRX
-It is a different shifter than 2007, the 2005 and up legacy GT shifter is correct. I asked them about this and was glad I did. Bonus: they changed their web site to include the 08 WRX so thumbs up for decent customer service.

-Console is pretty different, got the directions from the factory sub install instructions: remove two 10mm/#4 phillips bolts in the storage box. With the E brake on pull up slightly on its boot to reveal a single #2 phillips round head screw. There is a plastic snap opposite the screw on the passenger side, pull straight up on the console. Unscrew the shift knob and pull up on the plastic surround, it comes up fairly easily with no fasteners. There is another rubber boot with insulation attached, pull directly up on the white fasteners and you can remove that.

-Shifter would not pull out no matter what I did. There is an internal snap ring holding the white plastic ball bushing in place, remove the snap ring. Then the lever and bushing pulls out easily. Bushing easily comes off the shifter when it is out as well, plus no hammer needed to reinstall. In my opinion taking this apart the right way is NOT OPTIONAL. I don't know if the design is different but it looks like you would destroy the plastic bushing ripping out the shift lever and hammering it back in. Take care to not loose or damage the two black O rings that fit the bushing inside the bottom cup.

-Heat shield is totally in the way, remove four 12mm bolts to drop it down. Don't bother taking it all the way off, too much hassle with the O2 sensor and wiring in the way. Just dropped down you will have enough room to do the rear bushing.

-On my forward bushings I had about 3/16" of an inch of play behind the big washer and the new replacement bushings. I think this would lead to a sloppy feel side to side on the shifter with additional play there. They don't feel like the wrong bushings, center hole and outside diameter feel like a perfect fit. They are just not fat enough lengthwise. I got a large washer out of my spare parts bin that fit in there without compressing the new bushings but not leaving extra room for them to move sideways, felt like a slip fit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 :)

In my opinion taking this apart the right way is NOT OPTIONAL. I don't know if the design is different but it looks like you would destroy the plastic bushing ripping out the shift lever and hammering it back in.
Yes, the design is different. The 93-07 Impreza shifters didn't have the snap ring. Popping them in and out of the socket by force was the only way.

-Heat shield is totally in the way, remove four 12mm bolts to drop it down. Don't bother taking it all the way off, too much hassle with the O2 sensor and wiring in the way. Just dropped down you will have enough room to do the rear bushing.
I just did the rear bushing from inside. The heat shield wasn't in the way from there. It did take some time as the bolts are at an odd angle and I had to get them threaded by feel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. If you don't have snap ring pliers the snap ring is pretty big, you could probably just use needle nose pliers.

On removing the second rubber boot mine had a wire securing the center to the lower shifter arm. Did it pull off or did you just lift the boot to get under it? It looked to me like I would have to cut and replace the wire to get it off and out of the way, so I skipped it and went under. Probably about the same PITA from the top or bottom. I think the only way it would be easy is if you do down pipe at the same time.

Would also help a lot if the rear bushing they make is the right size, very close to being not possible to get both bolts threaded. That and the location doesn't help a lot. Least they offer the rear bushing though, many places don't seem to at all.

Saw notes that the rear bushing bolts come with lock washers, mine didn't but I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is probably an incredibly obvious question, but here goes.

First of all, all of your descriptions are excellent, and I am going to be doing this mod on my 08 WRX hatch (short shifter install + bushings) as soon as I get the parts. The pictures also help a lot, but I just want to clear one thing up.

My question: What is the reference to "front" and "rear" bushings. I am sure it's hitting me in the face, but please be nice -- I know you all have been at this a lot longer than I have, I just can't find it explained in any of these instructions or on the internet. Sometimes there is a reference to "installing the bushings" implying that there is one install under the car, but then I read about the "front" and "rear" bushings. Is this a reference to the two KB bushings that replace the one OEM shifter bushing--one front one back? Or is this a reference to the under-the-car bushings vs. the bushing when you are replacing the stock shifter with the short throw shifter? This has been confusing to me thus far, so any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Post #5 from my second link above has a diagram:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=934&d=1044110481

Item 12 is the rear bushing, and the front bushing number is covered up but it mounts to the stud item number 16.

There is another kit out there that includes the four little bushings items number 5 but those seem to be hard plastic and not necessary to replace.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The shifter's socket rides on the platform between the two bushings. The bushings being so soft, you can push the OEM shifter up and down (which is really moving the platform up and down) and when you shift the whole platform moves all around making for a vague shift feel. You'll be blown away by just how soft the front and rear bushings are compared to the Kartboy pieces and you'll really be blown away by the shift feel after you've gotten them installed. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Scottjal and Beaverboy, it all makes sense now. So I take it from all the enthusiasm on these boards that it is a good idea to do both the front and rear (might as well while you're under the car, right?). I was originally planning to change out the shifter and replace the front bushing. Is there a significant difference if you do that vs. replacing the rear bushing in addition?

I can't wait till the parts arrive...this mod should coincide perfectly with my odometer turning 1000 miles -- I'm at 730 now!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just got some bushings. After a track day I found out how bad the ones on the OEM SS is. The OEM SS was all installed when I bought the car new. If I move my heat sheld around a little I should be able to do this job with not that much of a issue? Is the room issue because of tools needed or just being able to reach up there?

I am having a hard time finding a 08+ WRX DIY on this. This is the best thread I could find in my search.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts