Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i found this new product, or i should say up and coming, called lamin-x. protective films for headlights/tail lights. was wondering how easy it would be to install it myself and if anyone else has heard of or installed this product on their cars. thanks. -catdad

·
Registered
359 Posts
check the unique style section of the forums I did a review of that kit and there is a couple more reviews as well. I'd post a link but I'm on my iPhone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ejay-money, lamin-x protect from rocks, sand, and stuff like that from chippin up your head lights, for the tail lights i just want to smoke 'em out out. going for the night ryder look. 8)

·
Registered
243 Posts
cool man sounds i might need to look in it for the headlights... i live on a dirt road and occasionally like to travel down others at fun speeds shall we say

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
i just went to install this kit on my hatch and they dont fit and look like crap, Its like trying to mold a styrofoam plate to a orange. The fitment is off no matter how i try and place it on the lense, you can see chrome around the whole thing. This stuff is thick! i couldnt get it to mold right. heres a few pics. i only got one part of the way on, im going to try and get a refund.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can tell right now yours wasnt cut correctly. Yes the stuff is thick. You need to get them to send a replacement or get your money back...send them those pics LOL

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
there not upside down and no i didnt use a heat gun i dont have one and i didnt want them to stick to the taillights if they didnt line up.

Im pissed about there poor customer service aswell. heres the conversation thus far.

send them to me.

Justin Abernathy
New Accounts Manager
www.lamin-x.com
International:
P: 001-706-632-6182
F: 001-706-258-3378
United States
P: 1-866-632-6182
F: 1-706-258-3378

----- Original Message -----
To: "Christopher" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:06 PM
Subject: When you were offline (via LivePerson)

I ordered your precut tail light overlays for an 08 wrx hatch, they dont
come anywhere near fitting properly. i took some pics but need an email to
mail them to.

keyth reynolds to justin
show details 8:41 PM (22 hours ago) Reply

great directions, where am i sending them? do i need a RMA #? do i get a refund?

keyth reynolds to justin
show details 8:49 PM (22 hours ago) Reply

ohh lol you mean the pics, i forgot about that. as you can see they are far from fitting properly

[email protected] to me
show details 8:40 AM (10 hours ago) Reply

You said that you needed an email address to send the pictures to. So, I said, "send them to me." Send them to the email address I emailed you from.

Send me the pictures and I'll take a look at them. I need to figure out what happened before I can authorize anything for you. We'll try to fix the issue before we issue you an RMA number.

keyth reynolds to justin
show details 8:49 AM (10 hours ago) Reply

check the attachments of the last email.

and i yet to hear anything back after that last email.

and i just sent another

keyth reynolds to justin
show details 6:24 PM (1 hour ago) Reply

could you see hte attached pictures? if not im going to attach them again.

- Show quoted text -

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 8:49 AM, keyth reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:

check the attachments of the last email.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

You said that you needed an email address to send the pictures to. So, I said, "send them to me." Send them to the email address I emailed you from.

Send me the pictures and I'll take a look at them. I need to figure out what happened before I can authorize anything for you. We'll try to fix the issue before we issue you an RMA number.

Thanks Keyth,

Justin Abernathy
New Accounts Manager
www.lamin-x.com
International:
United States

To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 9:41 PM
Subject: Re: When you were offline (via LivePerson)

great directions, where am i sending them? do i need a RMA #? do i get a refund?

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 4:39 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

send them to me.

Justin Abernathy
New Accounts Manager
www.lamin-x.com
International:
United States

To: "Christopher" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:06 PM
Subject: When you were offline (via LivePerson)

I ordered your precut tail light overlays for an 08 wrx hatch, they dont
come anywhere near fitting properly. i took some pics but need an email to
mail them to.

Message sent from IP: 206.53.65.176

3 attachments — Download all attachments View all images
DSCN0793.JPG
2955K View Download
DSCN0794.JPG
2986K View Download
DSCN0795.JPG
2930K View Download

·
Registered
125 Posts
you're supposed to use a heatgun/hairdryer. and after some stretching it should fit. try it again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
you're supposed to use a heatgun/hairdryer. and after some stretching it should fit. try it again.
Sh*t if you can strectch a friggin Corelle plate let me know, this crap is that thick.
that's where the heating comes in. have an extra friend to help you. i ordered mine from hotsubarus.com. it didnt come pre-shaped like that...well kinda but as detailed(is that the right word?) as laminx. sat it over the lights and pretty much cut the extra off with a razor. remember, HEAT HEAT HEAT STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH.

I need to redo mine ONLY because i didnt mine in the cold-NOT A GOOD IDEA btw.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lamin-X has been around for a long while....I've had their products on 3 previous vehicles over the last 5 years or so (Jetta, RX8, GSXR, and soon to be my WRX). They are meant to be thick because they are for protecting the lenses from rock chips; not just for looks.

I can tell you that I've heard for all film applications, that the 08 wrx is very hard to do and requires patience. I would compare it to applying window tint, which definitely requires skill. The film is purposefully meant to be stretch over the various curves. You start at one corner and squegee the film on, using a hair dryer or heat gun (very mildly) to warm the film and allow it to stretch. It is best to do this in the summer...if it is below 80deg out, you MUST use a heat source.

From the pictures, it looks like you are at step 1. You handle the film from the tabs, mist the film and lenses (after cleaning) with water, and lay the film over to line it up in 1 corner. Then start spreading it over the lenses, applying heat where it wrinkles up.

From the pictures, I can tell you that you probably got the right kit, it just isn't being installed properly. If you are having a tough time with it, I'd recommend taking it to the local tint shop and let them install it....it can be frustrating sometimes!!!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
that stuff was thick, i dont think even with a heat source you would be able to stretch it as far as was needed to fit properly. I mailed it back, and just waiting on a refund. Im just going to take the lenses apart and color match them to the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts