Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm looking for some straight forward advice on how to get a good launch. A little background: My first car had a manual transmission so I knew the basics of driving stick. Then I owned a couple automatics and I got my 08 5 door WRX in January and I was pretty rusty at first. Now I'm doing pretty good but I still occasionally kill it when I pull away from the mailbox and don't give it enough gas.
So I've read around online a bit and the idea I'm getting is that I should rev it up to ~4-5k and then engage the clutch, then once it's engaged, floor it. Does this sound reasonable?
How fast should I be letting the clutch out?
Also I keep seeing the acronym WOT. What's that? And what exactly does slipping the clutch mean?
Lay it out plain and simple for me guys.

·
Registered
421 Posts
There's another discussion on this topic.

Anyway, long story short, when launching, its the fine control of the clutch, throttle to keep the RPM at 4-5k and just before the tyres spins, until the clutch fully engages.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
WOT = Wide Open Throttle.

Still not clear on what slipping the clutch means. Does that mean I let it out kind of slow?
Slipping the clutch... Yeah you are letting it out kinda slow, basically getting the car rolling before you fully engage the clutch. Now "kinda slow," is happening in about a half a second or less, and probably out of 1st gear in 2 - 2.5 seconds. I see it as a slight hesitation to make sure you keep your RPM's up. Slipping or feathering the clutch is a fine art and very desructive to your clutch.

·
Registered
298 Posts
my suggestion would be to get more acquainted with the car and driving an awd manual before trying to launch the car. if you're not careful, you can do some serious damage to your clutch and possibly the trannie. then work on slipping the clutch at lower rpms and learning the feel of the clutch and learning how to keep the boost and revs up and work your way up from there.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My suggestion would be to refrain from ever launching the car...ever...unless you simply must take it to the track. It is by far the most abusive thing you can do to your drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My suggestion would be to refrain from ever launching the car...ever...unless you simply must take it to the track. It is by far the most abusive thing you can do to your drivetrain.
I would agree... but if the question is being asked then there are plans to race it, hopefully AT THE TRACK... RIGHT ;) ;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So slipping just means to feather the clutch like I do every time I start? I'm not really one to race. I just want to know how to get a really good start. Just for my own entertainment. Don't worry I'll play it safe.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
So slipping just means to feather the clutch like I do every time I start?
Yup... but launching your ride is taking that to the absolute extereme - WOT or so ;)

I'm not really one to race. I just want to know how to get a really good start. Just for my own entertainment. Don't worry I'll play it safe.
I am not really one to race either, but who knows I plan on going to a track day at some point! ;D It's a good skill to have!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Here is one Beautiful launch from an 05 Wagon. Do this lol

He "slips the clutch" at about 6 and lets it slowly fall back down to 5, by that point the clutch is fully released.

EDIT: Wow...brought this back from the dead!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts