Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda new in the ICE department. I've never wanted to mod my car down the ICE path,but i was just thinking it would be nice to have a nice LCD HU.

But the problem is i don't know where to start. I want to continue using my stock speakers and on steering wheel controls and probably add GPS function to the HU. Is it possible?

I understand tat if we change the head unit we will have to forgo the steering wheel controls. is that true?

And i don't wan to spend more than the LCD HU to get amps and speakers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
There a few brand that offer steering control integration, but i cannot confirm yet that they will be compatible with our car
so far i know clarion and eclipse offering them, as far NAV i dont know Telealtas or Navteq offer the best maps for singapore, but one thing i know is that you will have to upgrade them often, as singapore road are changing often

By changing your HU you will probably increase your sound quality quite a bit compare to the stock amplifier, but if you want to add better speaker you will have to go with a external amplifier to make your speaker worth it

If you need somebody to set it for you i can give you a hand when i will be around next feb.

Last year i help a SG friend to buy a complete setup for is Mazda3 and one thing i can tell you is stay away of the american price cause they are way to much overprice in singapore !! for the japanese brand they are cheaper there than in america on the other hand

i will give you a exemple, a Alpine amp that retails 500$CAN here was 400$SG and a Rockford Amp that retails 250$CAN was 600$SG !!!

I will try to doublecheck with the clarion sales representant to be sure that there product offer a full OEM steering control integration with our car, i will keep you updated on this

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks my friend! I'll google up on Clarion and eclipse now awaiting your confirmation!

hha and the maps wise, its not a problem. We have locally made map companies that don't really cost that much.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Ok so far most unit will require a third party Integration module which i have yet to find for a wrx (thing the 08 is the first impreza to get steering control ?)

So when those interface will come out you should be able to connect the control back with those unit, all double din

Alpine IVA-W205
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=IVA-W205

Clarion MAX676VD
http://www.clarion.com/sg/en/products/2007/multimedia/multimedia_source_units/MAX676VD/sg-en-product-pf_1168734501972.html

Finaly there is this nice little one but that is not NAV-Ready

Kenwood DDX8039
http://www.kenwoodaudio.com/Singapore/prodDetails.asp?Cat=Car Entertainment&SubCat=Visual Systems&Model=DDX8039

Overall i think the clarion is the best choice, lets of Integration possible, HHD NAV-Ready with navteq and great video and audio quality
my second choice if you dont want to add-on the NAV is the Kenwood, which will have better audio quality than the Clarion and also a great video quality

I check for Eclipse but as i seen they dont have Steering integration on their NAV unit

Your next step after getting a unit will be to find you a decent amp with 2 set of speakers

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha shit man. after getting hte double din units, i still must get amps and speakers? can i just get he din units w/o the amps and speakers or are the 2 extras required to ensure the radio continues to work?

anyway thanks man for the consultation help! its great to have a ICE expert in the house =)

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The amplifier and speaker will be your "Stage 2" haha

Your OEM speaker will hold up great and will give you better performance than on the OEM unit

so the amp and speaker will be the second step

the "stage 3" will be a second amp + Subwoofer

But i most tell you, when you enter the path of I.C.E its hard to stop...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The amplifier and speaker will be your "Stage 2" haha

Your OEM speaker will hold up great and will give you better performance than on the OEM unit

so the amp and speaker will be the second step

the "stage 3" will be a second amp + Subwoofer

But i most tell you, when you enter the path of I.C.E its hard to stop...
hmmm nice i'll stay at stage 1 i reckon.. cos i'm the kind that turns off my radio jsut to listen to my exhaust/engine... :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
hey pehon, let me know if you are getting rid of your stock head unit. i prefer that than the clarion one that they are bundling with my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts