Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to teach an idot in a V6 mustang a lesson the day before yesterday, but when I down shifted from 5th to 4th my car fell on its face. I have not had any loss of power while going up through the gears it is just when I down shift. I was running about 70mph or so when I down shifted. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Don't waste time down shifting on a v6. Just punch it!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, our cars make max hp @ 5200, so you will pretty much fall flat on your face after this rpm. I'm new to turbos and am curious as to how we can continue to make bigger hp numbers after 5.2k and still use the same turbo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I dont have any mods done to it yet but I have a new Greddy BOV, Perrin boost controller, and a Injen CAI on the way for it though. I am looking for a dual exhaust setup for it since my car is a sedan. I like that look better. If any of you guys see one let me know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've done plenty of downshifts around town to get around or avoid idiot drivers, and have not had any problems. Granted, my speeds were between 35-50 and I was probably in lower gears. Downshifting from 5 to 4 at 70 mph should still put you within the grunt range of the motor, I would think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Imprezas are not instant torque monsters (like the more linear power of a V8 Mustang would be). Your power "builds". Look at the dyno graphs of a v8 car and then a wrx and it will help you understand. Additionally, remember that shifting into 4th from "cruising" (where your car is not in boost and was not just building power) is very different from shifting into 4th gear accelerating from 3rd gear. It will take time to learn how the power curve works so you can avoid the feeling you had. However, even with a stage two STi, there are times when I've been cruising along and needed sudden power but have to wait for the turbo to spool back up. Granted it's not very long that I had to wait but still it feels like a long time (especially if you are used to the instant torque of a larger displacement motor). You'll get used to it. This very issue you point out though is exactly why people say the is no replacement for displacement. Because no matter how much you do to a four cylinder, it will never act exactly like an eight cylinder. In some ways your turbo 4 cylinder is better then a larger displacement motor but in some ways not.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I was going to teach an idot in a V6 mustang a lesson the day before yesterday, but when I down shifted from 5th to 4th my car fell on its face. I have not had any loss of power while going up through the gears it is just when I down shift. I was running about 70mph or so when I down shifted. Has anyone else had this problem?
I believe you might have picked the wrong gear. In order to get the kick in the pants accelleration you were looking for, a shift th 3rd would have done it. Remember the WRX is good to around 90mph in third. You wouldn't have been able to stay in third long, but the Mustang would have been looking at your tail lights before you shifted to 4th.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
This is similar to something that happened to me. The only difference is that I didn't downshift and the car took off, I was gone. The bug eye WRX next to me downshifted and I mopped the floor with him. Just stepped on it and I was gone, no need to downshift, all the torque is way down low, plus the boost that I had in the system was ready to go when I stepped on it. No lost of built boost to downshift. And the turbo spools at low RPMs. You might have not downshifted and you might have done better.

I challenge you to drive and 70 in 5th, punch it and see if it goes. Then do the same thing but downshift into 4th and see if there is a difference in the response. Then you could try what a2cpc suggested, drop it into 3rd and see. Don't think that you would get in any trouble if you keep it within reason.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to drop the Injen CAI and all the other parts that I had ordered. I ended up buying a UR CAI and an looking at the adjustable BOV. but anyway I downshifted to third. Not too effective; RPMs maxed almost instantly and I was pulled on until I caught 4th. When I caught 4th the SS camaro saw nothing but WRX taillights!!!!!!! Granted when we got to about 130 I saw SS tail lights, but from 60 to 130 the subie rules all. 8)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made a bracket out of Billet Aluminum and polished it so that it looks good. I was a little let down by the quality of the intake though. I am thinking about taking it back off and sending it back. I can bend one that looks better than that myself. Has yours got any unusual flat spots in it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe you might have picked the wrong gear. In order to get the kick in the pants accelleration you were looking for, a shift th 3rd would have done it. Remember the WRX is good to around 90mph in third. You wouldn't have been able to stay in third long, but the Mustang would have been looking at your tail lights before you shifted to 4th.
I would agree with this. When I am WOT pulling through 3rd to redline I am doing over 80. Though if already in 5th thats quite a throttle blip to rev match down to 3rd.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I made a bracket out of Billet Aluminum and polished it so that it looks good. I was a little let down by the quality of the intake though. I am thinking about taking it back off and sending it back. I can bend one that looks better than that myself. Has yours got any unusual flat spots in it?
Mine looks good. Could have fab'd. one up just as good tho. U think UR while cover the turbo inlet(if it cracks) cause there was NO support bracket? Just wondering

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that they should. I mean they have to know that there is a problem there and they are not trying to fix it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess I don't get it. Racing on the street (even just to drop someone on the highway for grins) just has no appeal to me. It's very risky, and there is a very good chance you'll get a very big ticket (in some states, this is a slap-the-cuffs-on-and-get-your-car-towed type of deal).

The WRX was made for backroads bombing, and if the pavement is a little bit lumpy, that's even better. Remember, this is essentially a detuned rally car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts