Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well saturday me and one of my friends went out cruizin ended up on a long straight so we decided a 20mph roll. every other time i pull very easily but yesterday i just couldnt get him i know for a fact his car is stock and all i have is a short shifter my gf was in the car with me but i didnt think that would make a diff since she only weighs like 115lbs im just very surprised it seems like my car is slower then when i first got it. anyone have any theories ???

·
Registered
700 Posts
a ex single cam vtec civic kept up with me on a roll. like dead even the whole time. the gti probally weighs less and might have better gearing. i think the wrx has some pretty crappy gearing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinkin that too maybe he has a 20thann so his is a 6 speed but i used to pull from him hard i dunno lol

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Maybe the gear you chose to start in. I believe all of those 1.8t motors are rated at 180hp using the old rating system (depending on year of the car), which is more like ~170hp crank using the same system that the newer cars (including your wrx) are rated with. It's lighter, and fwd, but even so the power difference is such that you should still have a decent advantage on it even from a roll.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
well saturday me and one of my friends went out cruizin ended up on a long straight so we decided a 20mph roll. every other time i pull very easily but yesterday i just couldnt get him i know for a fact his car is stock and all i have is a short shifter my gf was in the car with me but i didnt think that would make a diff since she only weighs like 115lbs im just very surprised it seems like my car is slower then when i first got it. anyone have any theories ???
Check to see if you are hitting target boost if you think you are slower than before. You know your car best. Better to make sure that everything is running right.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Uh yeah i am at a loss on that one if you have a WRX and an AP stage 1 your RPM's have to be above 3250 is what i have found, but then i had the AP, AVO drop in short shifter, shifter brushings......so besides that 3rd was a pain to get into...but i up graded to a STi, so i really dont worry about that stuff......

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
hmm.. sounds weird.. Me and my buddy go all the time with his GTI and I win.. Like tougmonster said check your target boost or see what gear you started in.. maybe give a little break boost bad for the brakes but it could help you..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I had a stock 2000 2.5RS with a header-back exhaust and was even in acceleration with a 1.8T golf when all he had was a catback.

Albeit the RS was 2800ish lbs and 4.11 gears.
Lucky guy. I've always wanted to keep the 01 RS but it was no longer competitive to keep on the street classes and couldn't pass smog without the whole state ref and cerification thing. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well ended up the gti wasnt stock, chipped we think, he raced another 1.8t boosting 21lbs and pulled from that harder then me sooooo i dunno hs gettin i dynoed soon i guess

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so today we ran again, and once again i pulled him pretty good, i dunno what just happen to the last race im gonna post some vids on youtube if anyone is interested. ill post links in a bit ;D

·
Registered
157 Posts
First video you were late, 2nd if the same he was def ahead of you. The 3 honk, and race is a tid bit on the bias side. Go to a track where you have a tree and then you can blame yourself for the lose and not the car. ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
tell him to race you like a man...from the dig...and then get someone to flag so you can attempt an even start...then tell him hes gonna need tires wider than my girlfriend's ass to hook that thing

1 - 20 of 48 Posts